Congrats to Royals' fans, as well as to the other teams that made or contended for this year's postseason. I'm a fan of parity and an opponent of dynasties in sports, and my experience as baseball fan goes back to the days of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Things have never been more interesting than today with all these new fans going wild in cities all around the US.

I'm disappointed the Royals didn't bring up Whit Merrifield, their star player from their AAA team, in their September call ups. He's a legend here at the U. Of South Carolina, where his achievements include hitting the walk off single versus UCLA that won South Carolina the first of its two straight national titles in 2010. It was the "last at-bat at Rosenblatt" closing the traditional home of the College World Series in Omaha, NE after 61 years. Ironically, Merrifield played his AAA ball this year in Omaha for the Royals. My wife and I saw him get two hits in helping the Omaha team win the AAA Natuonal Championship game, held in Charlotte.

But Merrifield's not a large guy, and I think scouts underrate average-sized prospects.