Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: New Baseball Rules

The wild pitch on an IBB in the playoffs, which turned into an out at home, will probably deflate that rule-change. Another point:The ball's live after a ball four, but is dead ( Runners can't advance) after a hit batsman. So which would it be if the batter simply was waved to first? If a manager decides to throw an intentional ball four after a legitimate 3-0 count was reached, would a rule change allowing him to do this without throwing a pitch be a factor with runners on?

Years ago, a pitcher yelled that they were going to put a batter on with an intentional ball four when he already had a 3-2 count. Then they fooled the batter, who'd relaxed, with a called strike. ( I think this occurred in a World Series.) By the way, I saw the 1957 World Series live, with its "shoe polish" hit batsman. (An early example of a "replay" without technology.)

The change I'd like is eliminate the uncaught 3rd strike. About 99% of the time the batters don't bother to run.

Yeah, but when they do, things can sometimes get interesting. I remember a game in Atlanta years ago, when Kelly Stinnett with the Diamondbacks struck out to (in theory) end the game, but the pitch was in the dirt; despite being a slow runner, even for a catcher, he started chugging up the line, the catcher lobbed it over the First Baseman's head, Stinnett went to Second - then it was just hit after hit till Arizona had the lead and went on to win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post

Years ago, a pitcher yelled that they were going to put a batter on with an intentional ball four when he already had a 3-2 count. Then they fooled the batter, who'd relaxed, with a called strike. ( I think this occurred in a World Series.)
    As I recall, it was in the early 1970s and the A's pulled it off against Johnny Bench. The catcher (must've been Tenace) stood up indicating they'd throw ball four, but then returned to his crouch and caught strike 3 that Bench stood there and took. I seem to remember Morgan or somebody on base at the time, yelling in to Bench to be careful, but it didn't help.

I'd love to see the game sped up, but not at the expense of losing those opportunities to outthink the other team.