Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Don Mattingly's disgrace

So Andrew Friedman had his big day in front of the media while announcing how happy he is to be a part of the Dodger organization.

The FIRST QUESTION from the reporters was "Will Don Mattingly be the manager of the Dodgers next season?"

I would argue the fact that this, being the FIRST question asked of Mr. Friedman in his new position for the Dodgers as President of Baseball Operations, was a statement in and of itself. It tells me the baseball world is aware of the Dodgers biggest problem going forward.

It makes more of a statement than Andrew Friedman's answer.

Mattingly will stay, at least for 2015. So the Dodgers brass have obviously supported their first financial blunder (Mattingly's 3-year extension after showing he knows how to lose last year) with another, adding a layer between ownership and DON. Is that maybe because Don showed even more convincingly he REALLY knows how to lose this year, so next year when the Dodgers are SURE to be under-performing again, blowing games here and there with line-up juggling, mismanagement of the pitching staff, not base-stealing attempting pinch runners, handing outs to the other teams from sacrifice bunts when the situation doesn't call for them, or whatever else Don's little pea-pod can muster up, that they'll have a guy on board to perform the overdue firing?

Here's one soon-to-be ex-season ticket holder anxious to find out.

But no longer caring. Adios, Dodgers.

Is there some deeper layer to your beef with Mattingly? Did he not sign an autograph for you when you were a kid? Did he accidentally run over your dog?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzick View Post
    Is there some deeper layer to your beef with Mattingly? Did he not sign an autograph for you when you were a kid? Did he accidentally run over your dog?
    Nope.

I've been a die-hard Dodger fan all my life. Since Tommy Lasorda retired (as a manager), it's been a painful run, now 26 years, for us Dodger fans. One loser after the other managing the team. And that "loser" list includes Joe Torre. You take away his great Yankee run, when ANYONE could have won with that team, and Joe was a miserable manager too. But at least Joe has personality, is a class act, and could handle the "personalities" in baseball, so he had some measurable success.

My problem with Mattingly is that I see nothing. I see blank darkness when I look into his eyes. I don't know what team or sport you follow, but baseball is not an easy game. You need a cerebral thinker at the controls. One that knows when to act, and more importantly how to not muck things up. Mattingly, in my view, is a complete waste of time. He is too much a "players manager" and therefore he can't make necessary decisions when they need to me made. He won't pull a player when they should be pulled. He benches players who are on fire! He mishandles the Dodgers pitching staff to perfection.

I guess it's not so easy to see if you don't follow the Dodgers on a regular basis. I have nothing against Donnie personally. But I know baseball enough to guarantee you this: The only ways the Dodgers ever win another World Series is if they go find a manager with an understanding for the flow and intricate details of the game. Mattingly manages by the book. He is vacant, without consciousness, asleep at the wheel. Ask ANY serious Dodger fan, and you'll get a similar response. We know were doomed with this guy, and that's my beef. It's frustrating as hell. The Dodgers should have won the National League West by the beginning of September. We all watched Mattingly lose game after game with stupid decisions all season long. And the Dodgers had to wait until the last few days of the season to lock up the Division.

Then...Mattingly struck again. Destroyed Kershaw's two great pitching performance, evaporated Greinke's great shutout, and pulled Ryu too soon in what could have and should have been a Dodger SWEEP of the Cardinals, while he hovered at the bottom step of the dugout each time with that stupid expression of his. So the Dodgers are playing golf as we prepare to all watch the Giants in the World Series AGAIN.

It's the futility of his existence in Dodger blue. I can't understand why ownership can't see it, as all us season ticket holder fans can. The Dodgers will have to put together a team like the late 90's Yankees to have any chance of winning a World Series with this buffoon running the team. And even then, they'll have to win DESPITE Mattingly, not BECAUSE of him.

Keep posting about it, while no longer caring. Makes a lot of sense.

I found out why you are so mad now....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvSmfyRc3pM

Smile Re: Don Mattingly's disgrace

awesome video

That video was fantastic. I've seen people have a beef with someone, but this thing goes DEEEEEP. Wow.

Banned

Yep, that video was just fabulous. Don Mattingly is the man. Some small minded trivialization via comedy relief is just what was needed here.

I'll try to hold back my expectations of worthwhile content before I post again. I see beachpatrol and meatslab have a tad of an issue with my comments regarding Donnie Einstein. My apologies. Didn't mean to step on your boy.

And meatslab, you're right. I shouldn't post if I don't care. So I guess I still do. It's called being passionate about something. And since I'm passionate about my Dodgers, I guess the proper thing to do would be for me to continue throwing away my money and keep my season tickets so I can watch the Dodgers stumble through another season, but ultimately winning the Division in the last week of the season, only to watch Division rival WILD CARD San Francisco go to their 4th World Series in 6 years.

Can't wait!!!

Just THINK of all the great pictures we'll be able to add to THESE GEMS!?
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Super Moderator

Heading into the postseason and seeing HOF caliber managers like Showalter and Bochy... It kind of felt like the Cardinals brought a knife to a gun fight. I feel your pain, I'm sure Matheny uses a magic 8 ball to make decisions sometimes. Oh well, many teams find a way to win with poor coaches or managers.

On a side note, don mattingly looks more like Bill Murray everyday.

As a manager I may agree but as a player nothing's better than Donnie baseball. Just saying.