Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Re: Don Mattingly's disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by ShaimOnYou View Post
    No, Smitty, I'm just SMFH. The Dodgers are LOADED with talent. THAT'S why they've been in the play-offs the last two seasons. If you watched the Dodgers on a daily basis, you'd be SYFH at the loses we suffered as a direct result of Mattingly BAD decisions. The team was STILL good enough to win their division. The reason why the Dodgers haven't won it all is because MATTINGLY is LEADING THEM, and his weaknesses are quickly exposed on that stage.
    Okay, now you are contradicting yourself.

So the TALENT is what got them to the Playoffs, NOT the Manager, but the TALENT couldn't get them through the playoffs?

If they were good enough TALENT wise to overcome your perceived shortcomings of Don Mattingly to WIN the Division and make the Playoffs, then the TALENT should have been good enough to go all the way regardless of Mattingly.

You can't call it both ways.

That's like the BS that goes on here at Coors Field - Hitters get downplayed for hitting at altitude, but Pitchers aren't given any leeway for pitching at the same altitude.

It has to cut both ways or it's a bogus argument.

Obviously you aren't happy with Mattingly, but - either you have to give him credit for Managing the team to the playoffs, OR you have to give the Talent on the team just as much of the blame for sucking it up in the playoffs.

Just my .02

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by R. C. Walker View Post
    Puig? Too many K's. That's not Mattingly's fault. I think it took guts to bench him.
    And it will take guts to fire Mattingly, but the new President of operations was hired to do just that. Watch.

Mattingly removed the best defensive outfielder in a must-win game. Brilliance on display. Dodgers brass just can't be this asleep at the wheel. Mattingly will be gone soon. And it can't be soon enough.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by R. C. Walker View Post
    The "Cardinal Way" trumped the "Corporate Way" once again. Too bad the Dodgers don't play on paper 'cause they sure look good on it.
    And why is that?

I ask you, HOW could such a great team "on paper" blow 3 out of 4 games they were either WINNING or TIED while going into the 7th inning?

Maybe because the guy in charge of what happens on the field is a buffoon?

And why is that?

I ask you, HOW could such a great team "on paper" blow 3 out of 4 games they were either WINNING or TIED while going into the 7th inning?

Or maybe the Cardinals are just a better team?

And why is that?

Just that. They're only good on paper.

The Dodgers didn't win with overrated Joe Torre, so I don't think it's completely the managers fault.

Boston dumped salary on the Dodgers, not great players, and went on to win the World Series last year (Good riddance to Adrian Gonzalez. San Diego has done just as well without you. He proved he was a whiner in Boston). I had to chuckle when I saw him try and bully Yadier Molina.

LA plays in an awful division lead by my Padres. The only competition, the Giants, are still in the playoffs capitalizing on a couple Cardinals mistakes.

The "Corporate Way" is to blame and complain when things don't go their way ie. PUIG and his temper tantrums. I would venture a guess and say, St Louis wouldn't put up with his antics no matter his "potential". Or better yet, he does not fit the Cardinals mold of a player and they would have no interest in him.

The "Cardinal Way" is followed by those left in the Playoffs. No Superstars or Prima donnas. Just good solid baseball players. If that's not proof enough, we'd see the Yankees and Dodgers in the World Series annually.

One last prospective. My Padres have been in more World Series' than the Dodgers in twenty five some odd years. . . . . ONE.

F'in Mattingly.
    R. C. Walker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Banned

I'm starting to see the light.

Puig is out of line for getting pissed for being drilled by pitchers on a regular basis.

Adrian Gonzalez, the MLB RBI leader, is a no good chump and the Padres suck just as well as they sucked when Adrian was crying there...just with a few less runs.

The Dodgers are blessed because they're fortunate to be stuck in a weak division with that soon-to-be three time World Series champion weak-arse Giants loser team dynasty thing going on there, but are cursed because they whine themselves out of their entitled corporate victories while Don Mattingly, the Joe Torre clone, looks handsome on the bottom step of the dugout while doing nothing as he watches a real team like the Cardinals groove off a tired pitcher for a half-an-hour straight.

Your points are well taken. I am now a soccer fan because I see I don't understand baseball. I can't thank you enough.

And why is that?

I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about the Dodgers or Mattingly, but correct me if I'm wrong on this statement.

The players still have to pitch, hit, and play the field. Despite a manager's decision, players can overcome it by doing their job.

Last time I checked, these players are grown men who are paid handsomely to play baseball. Don Mattingly or any manager for that matter, aren't going to suddenly make a player hit, pitch, or field better. Its up to the player to play and get the job done.

While Mattingly may be a problem, the players inability to get the job done in the playoffs is ultimately the problem at hand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BU54CB View Post
    I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about the Dodgers or Mattingly, but correct me if I'm wrong on this statement.

The players still have to pitch, hit, and play the field. Despite a manager's decision, players can overcome it by doing their job.

Last time I checked, these players are grown men who are paid handsomely to play baseball. Don Mattingly or any manager for that matter, aren't going to suddenly make a player hit, pitch, or field better. Its up to the player to play and get the job done.

While Mattingly may be a problem, the players inability to get the job done in the playoffs is ultimately the problem at hand.
    BUC,

First off, thanks for the comment.

Let me ask you your opinion on this scenario:

-You're the Dodgers manager in the NLDS and you are playing at home.
    -You have a 6-2 at the end of 6.
    -Your starting pitcher has pitched 6 grueling innings in 100 degree heat.
    -He comes out to start the seventh and gives up three straight singles.
    -The bases are loaded now (the last single not scoring a run because it was hit to Puig in center field, and running on THAT gun ain't a good idea!).

What do you do?

A) Turn to your pitching coach and say "Got any more Cracked Pepper Spitz?"
    B) Peruse the stands for a small boy holding a container of popcorn?
    C) Gaze at the bullpen and start to chuckle uncontrollably?
    D) Continue to watch while doing nothing, hoping "SWEET GEEZUZ" will stop the pain soon?
    E) Get off your thumbs and take a walk to the mound to give your pitcher a break, some support, and check to see if he's OK, not DONE from a long day in the heat?

What do you do?

A) Turn to your pitching coach and say "Got any more Cracked Pepper Spitz?"
    B) Peruse the stands for a small boy holding a container of popcorn?
    C) Gaze at the bullpen and start to chuckle uncontrollably?
    D) Continue to watch while doing nothing, hoping "SWEET GEEZUZ" will stop the pain soon?
    E) Get off your thumbs and take a walk to the mound to give your pitcher a break, some support, and check to see if he's OK, not DONE from a long day in the heat?
    I go for the popcorn.

Unsure if this is relevant; but let's take a look at the Atlanta Braves from 1991 to 2005.

There will likely be a total of FIVE Hall of Famers from those Braves' teams:
    Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, Chipper Jones, Bobby Cox and John Smoltz.

The Braves went to the playoff 14 times during 1991 - 2005.
    The Braves went to the World Series 5 times during those years.
    The Braves won only 1 World Series Title during that time.

And, Bobby Cox is a HOF'er .............