Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Don Mattingly's disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    I was just making a comparison of the most revered Dodger manager in history's record his first 4 years to Mattingly's record.
    There is no "Your turn. ".
    I thought it was a good comparison. I didn't mean it to be a knock on the chip on your shoulder.
    Roady,

No chip on my shoulder, just living through the pain of being a Dodger fan.

Curious: Who's your team? Short of you being a Cubs fan, or maybe an Orioles fan (they've been starving for success for awhile now too), maybe you can sympathize it's been 26 years since the Dodgers have held up the trophy. Add to that we all feel we have a team that could and should be there at the end, and someone has to start looking at the reasons why we're failing.

I simply believe that the most obvious reason is our manager. I've witnessed his sheer stupidity on numerous occasions. There's just no getting around it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaimOnYou View Post
    Roady,

Curious: Who's your team? Short of you being a Cubs fan, or maybe an Orioles fan (they've been starving for success for awhile now too), maybe you can sympathize it's been 26 years since the Dodgers have held up the trophy. Add to that we all feel we have a team that could and should be there at the end, and someone has to start looking at the reasons why we're failing.

I simply believe that the most obvious reason is our manager. I've witnessed his sheer stupidity on numerous occasions. There's just no getting around it.
    I am a Braves fan. Trust me I feel your pain.
    I have just learned over the years that the Braves will disappoint me.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaimOnYou View Post
    Roady,

Uh, HELLOOOO!! Indians fan here, I wish I'd seen a trophy hoisted 26 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Uh, HELLOOOO!! Indians fan here, I wish I'd seen a trophy hoisted 26 years ago.
    You guys are making me feel better about the Braves.

I have a question I would like to hear some opinions on. I'm a White Sox fan and I would like to know if the game relies on the manager so much how the hell did the sox win in 2005? Was Ozzie a good manager for a year and then just unbelievably bad the rest of his career?

Quote Originally Posted by helf35 View Post
    I have a question I would like to hear some opinions on. I'm a White Sox fan and I would like to know if the game relies on the manager so much how the hell did the sox win in 2005? Was Ozzie a good manager for a year and then just unbelievably bad the rest of his career?
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

These discussions remind me of what someone said of Casey Stengel: "I knew Casey both before and after he was a genius." Stengel was a consistently unsuccessful manager before being hired by the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    These discussions remind me of what someone said of Casey Stengel: "I knew Casey both before and after he was a genius." Stengel was a consistently unsuccessful manager before being hired by the Yankees.
    And then he finished with four 10th place finishes with the Mets. So call me crazy but I think Mantle, Berra, Ford and that bunch had something to do with Stengel being in the Hall as a manager.

Some of Stengel's Yankee players have been critical of him in various ways. And when Stengel managed the Boston Braves in 1943, he was hit by a car at the start of the season. As a result he missed the first few weeks before he recovered enough to return to the dugout. One Boston writer rudely recommended the car's driver for Boston's "Sportsman of the Year".

When Stengel testified before Congress during his Yankee years, his Stengelese was incomprehensible to the solons. So when Mantle said " My opinions are the same as Casey's" a congressman replied: " Thank you, Mr. Mantle. Would you be so good as to explain what Casey's opinions are?"

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.
    Totally agree.