Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Don Mattingly's disgrace

OMG,

my heart is racing.

I JUST HEARD that Joe Maddon OPTIONED OUT of his contract with the RAYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay TUNED DODGER FANS.....we may be getting OUR WISH!!!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ShaimOnYou View Post
    I was thinking about this very subject earlier in the season, and the two obvious choices (besides Kershaw) to me would have been Matt Kemp or Adrian Gonzales. I gave the nod to the ladder because Kemp still had something to prove coming off two seasons of devastating injuries.

I actually felt the Dodgers NEEDED to name a captain for the very reason you mention. The team NEEDED a leader, and for me Adrian was the logical choice. He is bi-lingual, the teams 3rd of 4th (or 5th) hitter (depending on Mattingly's menstrual cycle) and was the RBI leader of the team (and ultimately as it turned out, MLB).

You want a ladder to be your team captain?

Mattingly's NLDS Managing "average": .250 (1 win out of 4)
    Your personally-appointed leader & captain: .188 (3 of 16), 1 run

Great job, cap!

And why is that?

I ask you, HOW could such a great team "on paper" blow 3 out of 4 games they were either WINNING or TIED while going into the 7th inning?

Maybe because the guy in charge of what happens on the field is a buffoon?
    I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about the Dodgers or Mattingly, but correct me if I'm wrong on this statement.

The players still have to pitch, hit, and play the field. Despite a manager's decision, players can overcome it by doing their job.

Last time I checked, these players are grown men who are paid handsomely to play baseball. Don Mattingly or any manager for that matter, aren't going to suddenly make a player hit, pitch, or field better. Its up to the player to play and get the job done.

While Mattingly may be a problem, the players inability to get the job done in the playoffs is ultimately the problem at hand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slab0meat View Post
    You want a ladder to be your team captain?

Mattingly's NLDS Managing "average": .250 (1 win out of 4)
    Your personally-appointed leader & captain: .188 (3 of 16), 1 run

Great job, cap!
    Really, meatslab? My typo's are more important to you than the content of my post? I'm at work so I type fast. Sometimes the fingers work faster than the mind. No edit feature here. Oh well. I get over it, hope you will soon.

In regards to the rest:

What's the relevance of a player's batting average during one series in the play-offs in regards to him being the team captain?

And can we please compare apples to apples? Donnie's win average doesn't compare to Adrian's batting average in the series. And, Mattingly's "1" in your 1-for-4 example was nothing more than a "Get well soon" card from Kemp. Short of that, the Dodgers were swept after winning or being tied after 6 in ALL of the NLDS games. I'm really sorry if you find that acceptable. We Dodgers fans don't. Especially how it went down. Both times it was this team's manager who blew game one, shooting his players in the foot out of the gate. Two years running. Then he continued to shoot them as they laid on the floor holding their bloody feet. The should-have-been results were altered by bad decisions. Relentlessly, until there were no more opportunities to make mistakes. Just golf reservations.

But that's just my opinion. I don't know what yours is. Can't tell from those barbed-wire posts of yours. Maybe you care to state your position on Donnie and his Dodgers and actually join in on the discussion?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BU54CB View Post
    I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about the Dodgers or Mattingly, but correct me if I'm wrong on this statement.

The players still have to pitch, hit, and play the field. Despite a manager's decision, players can overcome it by doing their job.

Last time I checked, these players are grown men who are paid handsomely to play baseball. Don Mattingly or any manager for that matter, aren't going to suddenly make a player hit, pitch, or field better. Its up to the player to play and get the job done.

While Mattingly may be a problem, the players inability to get the job done in the playoffs is ultimately the problem at hand.
    BUC,

First off, thanks for the comment.

Let me ask you your opinion on this scenario:

-You're the Dodgers manager in the NLDS and you are playing at home.
    -You have a 6-2 at the end of 6.
    -Your starting pitcher has pitched 6 grueling innings in 100 degree heat.
    -He comes out to start the seventh and gives up three straight singles.
    -The bases are loaded now (the last single not scoring a run because it was hit to Puig in center field, and running on THAT gun ain't a good idea!).

What do you do?

A) Turn to your pitching coach and say "Got any more Cracked Pepper Spitz?"
    B) Peruse the stands for a small boy holding a container of popcorn?
    C) Gaze at the bullpen and start to chuckle uncontrollably?
    D) Continue to watch while doing nothing, hoping "SWEET GEEZUZ" will stop the pain soon?
    E) Get off your thumbs and take a walk to the mound to give your pitcher a break, some support, and check to see if he's OK, not DONE from a long day in the heat?

What do you do?

A) Turn to your pitching coach and say "Got any more Cracked Pepper Spitz?"
    B) Peruse the stands for a small boy holding a container of popcorn?
    C) Gaze at the bullpen and start to chuckle uncontrollably?
    D) Continue to watch while doing nothing, hoping "SWEET GEEZUZ" will stop the pain soon?
    E) Get off your thumbs and take a walk to the mound to give your pitcher a break, some support, and check to see if he's OK, not DONE from a long day in the heat?
    I go for the popcorn.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    I go for the popcorn.
    LMAO.

Unfortunately, that just may be what Donnie did too.

What he DIDN'T do was what any REAL manager would have done. GO TALK TO HIS PITCHER.....GIVE HIM A BLOW while BREAKING the other teams RHYTHM!! My GOD, is this so difficult to figure out?

He had NO ONE up in the bullpen. Worse yet, he didn't get anyone UP in the bullpen. He just left Kershaw out there....withering in the heat. It was a complete HORROR movie playing out right before our eyes.

And it was a SEQUEL from Doh!-nnie's hit movie released in October 2013!!!

What he should have done was go out there and ask Clayton how he felt. After receiving the status quo answer, Don Flatulencly should have left him in, given him a swap on the rump and said "Go get em", then walked back to the dug-out, his visit vaporizingly enhanced in Kershaw's memory with every step...."prfffft....prffft....prfffft".

And on the VERY NEXT HIT, Don should have gone out there and PULLED HIM.

PERIOD.

THAT'S WHAT A MANAGER DOES.

HE MANAGES.

But when you're a complete GOOF, and you don't know what you're DOING, you mess up like this. You leave your ace vulnerable because you don't have anyone warm in the pen. You leave yourself no choice but to watch your ace DIE. It DEMORALIZES THE TEAM. Kershaw was SPENT. He had DONE HIS JOB! He had a 6-2 LEAD!! It's not Clayton's job to CHOOSE WHEN he should be RELIEVED!! It's the MANAGERS.

And Doh-head DON left him in to get PUMMELED, relentlessly, until he coughed up the lead. My LORD are you kidding ME??? THEN Doh!-nnie treks out to the mound (PFFFFFFT...PFFFFFT...PFFFFFT) and PULLS HIM(???), too little, too late, and smelling a little more. AFTER the game is thoroughly DESTROYED, debris all over the field, then he seals the deal by handing the ball to a ROOKIE who in short order gives up a hit, then a 3-RUN BOMB??? An 8-RUN 7th INNING in the home opener of the NLDS when we were WINNING 6-2 !?!?!???!! KERSHAW DIDN'T DESERVE THIS FATE. Neither did this Dodger team.

This is what Don Mattingly does. He wasn't having a "bad day". He didn't "make a wrong choice" at one weak moment. He DOES THIS on a REGULAR BASIS. Anyone can win with a GREAT team. It's what a manager does with one that has issues, how he manages the PROBLEMS, that separates the good managers from the bad. This team wasn't BOUGHT and built so that we could all sit around while Donnie Doh-Doh LEARNS on our time...and DIME...how to BECOME a manager. We need a real manager NOW. Go learn in, I don't know, Houston!

Or better yet. MIAMI. That recently vacated of a MANAGER team!

I don't want to rehash it all again. I could go on for hours about Mattingly mistakes, but why? This tragic situation the Dodgers are in needs to be fixed as soon as possible, because it's not going to change by itself. FIRE HIM FRIEDMAN. At least do YOUR job right!!

MADDON IS WAITING! And so are we!

Banned

Super Moderator

Unfortunately, it sounds like the Cubs are the favorite to land Maddon.