Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Right. Mattingly probably thought his best pitcher was man enough to do his job.

I remember 1991, Game 7, Jack Morris taking the mound in the tenth inning. If the manager had tried to take him out of the game, there would've been a physical altercation. And Morris wasn't protecting a huge 6-2 lead either, he was pitching his guts out in a 0-0 tie.

Then there's the famous story of Bob Gibson getting in a little trouble and his catcher, Tim McCarver, starting to go out to talk to him. "Get back there where you belong, the only thing you know about pitching is that it's hard to hit!" Gibson shouted.

Guys like Morris and Gibson loved the pressure. They did their jobs and thrived in tough spots. Instead of blaming Mattingly for Kershaw's failings, maybe Mattingly was just mistaken thinking he had a thoroughbred on the mound who could get his act together.

But apparently, after giving up three straight hits, Kershaw needed a hug that Donnie didn't provide. That might make Donnie a poor parental figure in the dugout, for his more insecure players, but going with your ace, holding a 4 run lead, doesn't sound so dumb to me.
Never heard that Gibson story before, and I'm still laughing.

I highlighted two comments you made above and would like to share my thoughts as an outside disinterested 3rd party. I'm not taking sides here (although being a Giants fan I will admit I enjoyed it ), but I can sympathize with the frustration of the original poster, and Dodger fans in general.

Kershaw in the end did fail for sure. But Mattingly is the manager. And if he can't figure our when his ace needs to be relieved, then who?

Anyone can criticize Kershaw for losing, tell him he's not a clutch player, even personally insult him if they so desire, but at the end of the game it's the team that suffers the loss. Is it Kershaw's fault they lost because he's not Bob Gibson or Jack Morris? Mattingly wasn't managing Bob Gibson or Jack Morris. And Mattingly failed to act on a situation that was out of control.

I think anyone would agree that going with your ace with a 4 run lead is the safe way to play it. But to watch him give up multiple hits until the lead was relinquished? Again, is that Kershaw's fault? Or the manager's, the guy in charge?

I would also add that starting off a play-off series that way is extremely damaging to the team. It's hard to get up off the mat after taking a punch like that. Apparently the Dodgers owners don't feel it was their managers fault. He's still there. 2015 should shed some answers.

Dave