Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Mark McGwire Gamer.....Problems?

just my preference but I would not want a jersey from one year inscribed with another. That's like getting a 97' game used bat and its signed with 2000 underneath. That would just bother me immensely . maybe it's my pickiness but I don't know. jmo.

I have the advantage of having examined this jersey last year because the consignor is local. What Heritage doesn't disclose is the LOA is dated June 1998 and says nothing about the jersey being used.

And it was signed in 2000. If this was his game-worn jersey from that 1997 Labor Day game, I expect -- given the jersey-off-the-back raffles that were typical for Labor Day jerseys back then -- that there would be no LOA and it would have been signed by Mac on the field as the winner held it. I also would expect his gamer to have a straight hem, not an athletic cut. I believe this is a replica jersey made by Cardinals Care for fundraising purposes. I don't believe McGwire wore it.

Here's more food for thought: http://www.lelands.com/auction/Aucti...me-Used-Jersey

I haven't seen the LOA on that jersey, but would love to read it!

Jeff,

Can you confirm that the JR patch on the real gamers is in French ? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by panthrotc View Post
    just my preference but I would not want a jersey from one year inscribed with another. That's like getting a 97' game used bat and its signed with 2000 underneath. That would just bother me immensely . maybe it's my pickiness but I don't know. jmo.

I absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil316 View Post
    Jeff,

Can you confirm that the JR patch on the real gamers is in French ? Thanks
    I own one jersey and have examined another, believing both to be legit gamers. The Gaetti shirt has an English patch; the Morris shirt has the French version. I personally think the folks who prepared the jerseys just used whatever patches were available, knowing these were one-game jerseys. Quality control wasn't a priority, as evidenced by the inclusion of numbers on the jersey fronts, which wasn't typical for 1997.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    I have the advantage of having examined this jersey last year because the consignor is local. What Heritage doesn't disclose is the LOA is dated June 1998 and says nothing about the jersey being used.

And it was signed in 2000. If this was his game-worn jersey from that 1997 Labor Day game, I expect -- given the jersey-off-the-back raffles that were typical for Labor Day jerseys back then -- that there would be no LOA and it would have been signed by Mac on the field as the winner held it. I also would expect his gamer to have a straight hem, not an athletic cut. I believe this is a replica jersey made by Cardinals Care for fundraising purposes. I don't believe McGwire wore it.

Here's more food for thought: http://www.lelands.com/auction/Aucti...me-Used-Jersey

I haven't seen the LOA on that jersey, but would love to read it!
    I believe you are 100% correct across the board, Jeff.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by panthrotc View Post
    Agreed, reiterates my point earlier. I just didn't go into it as deeply because it was secondary to the fact I believe the jersey is as Jeff Scott described it (a "replica"). When you can't get past the authenticity issue, everything else becomes moot. But yeah, having the inscription "2000" on a 1997 jersey?? For me, that essentially trashes it.

Chris