Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: The Adam Dunn Game Used Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Gris View Post
    Here's a Carolina Clubs Pro Model Adam Dunn bat. I've yet to see another one of his CC bats or a picture of Dunn using one in batting practice, spring training or a game. Despite multiple attempts to contact Carolina Clubs, I've been unable to locate any of Dunn's bat order records. I believe the American Flag decals were placed on CC bats sometime after the 9/11 attacks which would likely date this bat to the 2002 season. Former Reds player Sean Casey appeared to use nothing but CC bats in Getty images from 2001 and 2002 and the American flag decal only started appearing on his bats in 2002 game photos (as early as 2/28/02). If anyone has any insight or information on this bat I'd love to hear it.
    He used Carolina Clubs during his time with the Louisville Bats.... he must have ordered AT LEAST 3 dozen of these bats.... when he left to go to Cincinnati everyone on the team was using an Adam Dunn bat....

Quote Originally Posted by ryant7 View Post
    He used Carolina Clubs during his time with the Louisville Bats.... he must have ordered AT LEAST 3 dozen of these bats.... when he left to go to Cincinnati everyone on the team was using an Adam Dunn bat....
    Thanks for the information. The only pictures I've seen of Dunn batting while with the Louisville RiverBats show him using Louisville Slugger bats. Do you recall if any of his Carolina Clubs bats had the American flag decal like on my bat? Dunn left the RiverBats to play for the Reds less than two months before the 9/11 attacks which leads me to believe my bat was not made or used during Dunn's minor league career. Of course, this assumption only holds if these American flag decals were only added for a short time after 9/11/01. For what it's worth, I just went through Getty images of some other players known to use Carolina Clubs bats in the late 90's/early 00's and did not see any CC bats with the American flag decal before 9/11/01.

Next is an autographed black Louisville Slugger I13 model bat from Dunn's 2002 All-Star season. I believe the bat is photo matched to a 2003 baseball card featuring a 2002 game photo (photo match pictures to follow).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The card used for the photo match is a 2003 Upper Deck MVP Sports Nut #SN1 (note that the game photo is from a 2002 game). There are two distinctive ball transfer marks on the underside of the barrel that match up in size and placement relative to the silver LVS center brand and the silver "CINCINNATI REDS" label on the barrel. Also, the pine tar application under the center brand extends to the same area on the card image. It's not the strongest photo match in the world (I had a hard time taking a picture of my bat with minimal glare/reflection) but I feel the evidence adds up.

Here is a Louisville Slugger Y30 model bat from Dunn's 2002 All-Star season. Earlier this year I documented photo matches of this bat to a baseball card (see: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...postcount=1239) and to being used during a road game against the Giants on May 3 or 4 in 2002 (see: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ly+significant). I'll post both photo matches shortly.

The card used for the photo match on the left is a 2002 Donruss Studio #200 (this product was released on June 15, 2002). The game photo match on the right was taken in San Francisco on either May 3 or May 4, 2002.

Next is a Louisville Slugger I13 model bat autographed and inscribed to Dunn's 17th home run (36th career) on 7/5/02 at Cinergy Field against the Brewers.