Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Re: The Adam Dunn Game Used Thread

Here is the black 2001 Louisville Slugger I13 model bat I picked up in the last Goldin Auction (and which was previously mentioned in this thread). It was originally attributed to Dunn's time with the Billings Mustangs in 1998 due to the barrel branding. After referencing Dunn's LVS bat order records and conferring with John Taube, it was determined to be 1 of the 3 bats ordered on 6/12/01 while Dunn was with the Louisville RiverBats. Regarding this bat, John Taube quoted Brian Hillerich as saying:

...As for the MLB/TPX logo, it might be one of the times we forgot to put it on a bat, that happened quite a bit back in the early 2000's since we did not have a "Pro" branding area. Retail and Pro went to the same area so the attention to detail was sometimes forgotten...

According to Goldin Auctions:

This bat does not have "Cincinnati Reds" branded under Dunn's name indicating that the bat was ordered by Dunn as a minor leaguer. There were two orders for Maple I13 models made by Dunn during his 2001 rookie season, one while a member of the Louisville RiverBats, and the second after Dunn was called up to the big leagues with the Reds. With no team name on the barrel, this specific bat can be placed to his order with the RiverBats.

I was pleased with how Goldin Auctions and John Taube worked with me to figure out the back-story on this bat before the auction ended. While playing with the Reds from 2001-2008, Dunn ordered nearly 300 bats with a black finish from Louisville Slugger. This is one of the first 3 black bats Dunn ever ordered and, depending on what happened to the other 2, may be the earliest surviving black Louisville Slugger Dunn bat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by helf35 View Post
    Wonder if this will make the auction? Will Ferrel Dunn gamer!
    It's up for auction on mlb currently at 380

Quote Originally Posted by eric16841 View Post
    It's up for auction on mlb currently at 380
    Looks like it sold for $540. Not too shabby for a bat Dunn may have given to Jose Abreu and then Abreu gave to Ferrell to use in a single at bat due to their likeness. Hopefully the buyer can get it signed by Ferrell and/or Dunn.

Here is the batting helmet Adam Dunn wore during the 2nd half of his 2012 All-Star and TSN American League Comeback Player of the Year season. In Getty images from the White Sox vs. Twins game on June 26, 2012, Dunn is seen wearing an old style Rawlings helmet in the 7th inning and a CoolFlo style helmet in the 8th inning (he had worn the old style in 2012 up to this point). My guess is he cracked the old style helmet after striking out in the 7th and had to find a replacement for his next at-bat in the 8th. An impromptu in-game helmet change may explain why the number stickers on the back of this CoolFlo helmet are slightly crooked (the “2” is visibly higher than the “3”). Whatever the case may be, Dunn wore this signed helmet for the last 3 months of the 2012 season, including his 400th career home run game on August 18!

Other major identifying marks on the helmet include:
    -The tar buildup on the brim;
    -A portion of the white circle sticker on top of the helmet gradually gets rubbed off as the season progresses (as seen over dozens of game photos);
    -A light colored streak in the plastic on the back top between air vents (this streak can even be seen inside of the helmet and was likely created during the manufacturing process);
    -Light scratches/transfer marks near the right ear hole.
    -Three quarters of the ear pad lining were rubbed and torn off from use. The flap of remaining lining can be seen curled up next to Dunn’s face in many head-on pictures.

2012 Helmet Pictures Part 2:

How does one crack a helmet on a strike out? Must have thrown it down? Just curious...
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    How does one crack a helmet on a strike out? Must have thrown it down? Just curious...
    Haha, some players strike out calmly and others slam their helmets down on the hard floor of a dugout or break a bat over their knee.

Here is a 2002 Louisville Slugger I13M model bat I just acquired. Dunn ordered just 12 of these I13M bats (6 on 8/27/02 and 6 on 8/30/02) and this is the first example I've seen. He ordered 233 total I13 model bats and 104 total I13L model bats during his Reds career. This bat is noticeably smaller when held next to the other I13 Dunn bats in my collection (0.5 inches shorter and the circumference at the thickest part of the barrel is 0.5 inches less). I'm not sure what the "M" in "I13M" stands for but have a hunch it may be an experimental maple variety of the I13 model. I searched these forums and Google for more information on the I13M model and found very little information besides a 2002 Pujols I13M model bat that sold through Goldin Auctions in 2013. If anyone (especially BMH) could fill me in on the background of this bat model I would be very interested to hear!

Recently got a pair of signed Adam Dunn cleats and gloves, both from his 2005 season. Not a big fan of his per se, but these were well used and at the very least easily style-matched.

Quote Originally Posted by fredskinz View Post
    Recently got a pair of signed Adam Dunn cleats and gloves, both from his 2005 season. Not a big fan of his per se, but these were well used and at the very least easily style-matched.
    Very nice! That's the first good look I've seen of that shoe style. I always enjoy seeing the different customizations Dunn took with his equipment.