Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

The Adam Dunn Game Used Thread

I'm a big fan of the player-specific threads here on GUU and thought we should start one for my all-time favorite player, Adam Dunn. Feel free to post your Big Donkey game used items, photo matches and new pick-ups!

I'll start this off with some new photo matches I've been working on for my Dunn rookie season bat. The 3 referenced game photos all come from the October 4, 2001 game against Kerry Wood and the Cubs at Wrigley Field. This was the 4th to last game of Dunn's rookie season and the last away game he played as a rookie. Adam hit his 19th and final home run of the year the previous day.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: The Adam Dunn Game Used Thread

Here's a Carolina Clubs Pro Model Adam Dunn bat. I've yet to see another one of his CC bats or a picture of Dunn using one in batting practice, spring training or a game. Despite multiple attempts to contact Carolina Clubs, I've been unable to locate any of Dunn's bat order records. I believe the American Flag decals were placed on CC bats sometime after the 9/11 attacks which would likely date this bat to the 2002 season. Former Reds player Sean Casey appeared to use nothing but CC bats in Getty images from 2001 and 2002 and the American flag decal only started appearing on his bats in 2002 game photos (as early as 2/28/02). If anyone has any insight or information on this bat I'd love to hear it.

Here are two Adam Dunn locker number plates from games played in Kansas City. The #32 plate is from his 2011 season with the White Sox and the #10 plate is from the 2014 AL Wild Card game between the A's and Royals.

Here is Adam Dunn's batting helmet from his 25-game run with the Oakland Athletics. It is MLB authenticated to the Wild Card Playoff game against the Royals (hence the "Postseason 14" sticker on back) but I believe I can photo match it to every regular season game he played with Oakland. Dunn was wearing this helmet while recording his final career H, 2B, HR, R, RBI, BB, HBP and SO.

Photo matches for the A's batting helmet:

-On top is a photo of Dunn celebrating after hitting a 2-run home run in his first at bat with the A's on 9/1/14. The top red circle highlights a small circle of yellow paint that made its way down from the helmet's bill during the painting process. The lower red circle highlights a strand of thread/glue on the ear padding.

-The 2nd match is from Dunn hitting his final career double (#334) and RBI's (#1167 and #1168) against the Rangers on 9/26/14. There are numerous small white scratches/transfer marks that match as well as the pine tar on the bill of the helmet.

Awesome helmet. Def one of a kind. You need to find a D-Backs helmet to go with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by helf35 View Post
    Awesome helmet. Def one of a kind. You need to find a D-Backs helmet to go with that one.
    Thanks! I'd love to someday track down a Dunn D-Backs helmet. In 2008, he only played in 44 games with Arizona (a fitting number) and I'm not sure if they ever wore different helmets for home and away games or if they had a special throwback style helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Gris View Post
    Here's a Carolina Clubs Pro Model Adam Dunn bat. I've yet to see another one of his CC bats or a picture of Dunn using one in batting practice, spring training or a game. Despite multiple attempts to contact Carolina Clubs, I've been unable to locate any of Dunn's bat order records. I believe the American Flag decals were placed on CC bats sometime after the 9/11 attacks which would likely date this bat to the 2002 season. Former Reds player Sean Casey appeared to use nothing but CC bats in Getty images from 2001 and 2002 and the American flag decal only started appearing on his bats in 2002 game photos (as early as 2/28/02). If anyone has any insight or information on this bat I'd love to hear it.
    He used Carolina Clubs during his time with the Louisville Bats.... he must have ordered AT LEAST 3 dozen of these bats.... when he left to go to Cincinnati everyone on the team was using an Adam Dunn bat....

Quote Originally Posted by ryant7 View Post
    He used Carolina Clubs during his time with the Louisville Bats.... he must have ordered AT LEAST 3 dozen of these bats.... when he left to go to Cincinnati everyone on the team was using an Adam Dunn bat....
    Thanks for the information. The only pictures I've seen of Dunn batting while with the Louisville RiverBats show him using Louisville Slugger bats. Do you recall if any of his Carolina Clubs bats had the American flag decal like on my bat? Dunn left the RiverBats to play for the Reds less than two months before the 9/11 attacks which leads me to believe my bat was not made or used during Dunn's minor league career. Of course, this assumption only holds if these American flag decals were only added for a short time after 9/11/01. For what it's worth, I just went through Getty images of some other players known to use Carolina Clubs bats in the late 90's/early 00's and did not see any CC bats with the American flag decal before 9/11/01.

Next is an autographed black Louisville Slugger I13 model bat from Dunn's 2002 All-Star season. I believe the bat is photo matched to a 2003 baseball card featuring a 2002 game photo (photo match pictures to follow).