X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Neely8
    • Apr 2006

Re: Opinions: To sign or not to sign?

Originally posted by ShaimOnYou
    Why are there large signing events going on throughout the course of the year where fans can meet athletes and obtain their signatures? Because it's an undesirable thing to do? Because it devalues the items being signed?

What's worth more in the hobby, a home run ball of Hank Aaron's signed and inscribed by him, or one of his home run balls that's just got a little bit of dirt on it with no direct lineage, provenance, or significance because he hasn't "identified" it? Gracing it with recognition by placing his signature and inscription on it is the way to go, 100% of the time.

Yes, there are a LOT of variables you need to manage while attending a signing. One needs to do a lot of homework (have the athlete use the right pen for the item, place the signature in the right spot, etc.) and when an athlete's penmanship is poor, yeah, that effects the decision making process too. But the bottom line is, it's a personal preference thing whether or not you want to have an item signed.

For me? Have him sign it!

Chris
    Because there are a million other things to get signed other than a game worn jersey at a signing. And the OP wasn't asking opinions on getting a game used baseball signed. He was solicting opinions regarding a game worn jersey. To me that is apples and oranges. I don't have a problem with getting a game used baseball signed but can't stand signed game worn jerseys and have passed on some due to that. Fortunately I know of a few people now who can remove signatures from jerseys if I ever come across one I can't live without.

Comment

Working...