Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Re: Your Worst Experience Dealing With An Athlete

I had Graig Nettles call me a thief and throw a fit when I tried to have a bicentennial bat and a couple of jerseys signed. He was such a jerk that within 2 weeks I had sold my entire Nettles collection: 3 bats, 2 jerseys, a helmet and a few other items.

Abe

Here are a couple good experiences, for the last 5 years I go to every time the D-rays play the twins in minnesota, I have about 17 different d-rays game used jerseys and I had Jorge cantu sign his #59 rookie gamer and gave me his hat, real good guy, even though tried to hook up with my girlfriend and gave her his cell phone number and the numebr at the marriot in minneapolis.

Jonny gomes too is a GREAT GUY, he has remembered me from the alst two years, i wore his #60 game jersey and his aunt and uncle who live in minneapolis saw that I was wearing it, called jonny over, and he signed it and gave me 3 game balls.

Also, Jon Switzer and ty Wigginto were great last year and in 2005 Julio Lugo gave me hsi game hat and signed it after the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Mookie Wilson is one of Mets all time good guys and one of my all time favorites too so this is not a knock on him presonally.

I presented Mookie one of his game used Louisville sluggers which is stamped William "Mookie" Wilson which is the signature he signed with HB and asked him if he would sign it as such. He politely declined and told me he has not signed his name like that in years. I was disappointed as I thought it would have been unique to have his autograph exactly like the stamped signature but respect his policy.

Definitely does not fall under a "worst experience" though.

David
    MetsBats I was a bit surprised to see you catergorize Mookie as Mets all time good guys. I am not saying Mookie is a bad expeirience, but I have met and been with Mookie in everal friends circles and when it came anything involving autographs well lets just say he wasnt always a pleasant experience for people as I watched him refuse and turn down autographs for financial reasons.

As A Native San Diegan, I attended the Chargers Blood Drive (religiously) for about 15 yrs. I also Donate regularly.

In the early 90`s (dont remember the year) I watched Billy Ray Smith walk towards me, on his way to the Autograph line. I got all happy & said "Hi Mr. Smith" he responded quickly & abruptly..."Dont call me Mr. Smith" He was actually yelling at me & I just didn`t (& still don`t understand why)

I was Embarrassed & red-faced. After that, I stopped walking through the Autograph line & getting generic Items signed!

Not the Best story here, but I own it. Maybe the guy was Hurt? Maybe just an Arse? Maybe YOU know?

Sean

About 4-5 years ago, there was a card show in North Jersey where all the living World Series MVPs were signing autographs. I was interested in 2 - Mike Schmidt and Pete Rose. At the time, I had about 100 auto's of the two of them, but what I really wanted was an autographed photo personalized to me. Schmidt obliged without issue, although for $65.00, he could have at least looked up and made eye contact. When I finally made it to the front of the Pete Rose line, I asked very nicely if he could please sign it "To Daryl." He stopped, put down the pen, looked up, and said:

"You've got to be kidding! Think about it. Think about it! If I had to do that for every one of the people, I'd be here all g-d da-- day! Do you think I really want to sit here all day?"

I didn't know what to say except "Excuse me??" He proceeded to pick up the Sharpie, sign "Pete Rose 4256" and in a very disgusted manner slid the photo back to me. I looked around, and everyone within hearing distance had a look of disbelief on their faces.

Mark Messier

I was with my sister-in-law and my son who was maybe 6-7 yrs old. We were in the HSBC arena after the Sabres had soundly defeated Messier's Canucks. this was a special area in the arena where players came out of their dressing rooms and waited for their team bus. Security is very tight there and you have to know someone to get in.

Messier comes walking out with another player, speaks to a couple of puck bunnies, sighns something for them and then comes towards us. I said, " Mark, do you mind signing an autograph for my son. He's a big fan!". Messier walked right by us muttering something to himself and then stood off in the corner with this other player.

Needless to say I am no longer a Mark Messier fan. Pavel Bure came out right after Messier and took pictures with us and signed whatever we wanted....a great guy!

Mike

Wow, after reading all of everyone else's experiences, most of them would eb very embarassing moments not just for the athlete but for you, the fan. Amazing how some athletes just don't get the big picture and really how close they were to not even playing pro sports...

these posts have been a hoot to read.

before i tell my worst experience, i must say that most experiences with athletes reveal that they are pretty good people, who do what they can for the fans when they can. I have far too many good experiences to mention with folks like Jeter, cubs announcer Haray Caray, Johnny Bench, Johnny Damon, Mark McGwire, Bo Jackson, Sandy Koufax.. the list goes on and on.

that said, here's the dirt:

when i was about 9 or 10, i lived in Houston (transplanted from Chicago, so i was still a cubs fan) and attended quite a few Astros games. this was about 1983 or 84. Back then, most athletes had to exit the Astrodome and wade through a couple handfuls of fans and autograph seekers. even most of the star players would leave at the same exit to board the team bus. there was little security and no barriers to keep fans away from the players back then.

my family mostly went to Cubs games. so i met and got autographs from Ryne Sandberg, Jody Davis, Steve Trout, Jay Johnstone, Leon "bull" Durham and the like. Almost all good fellows who signed what they could as they hurriedly made their way from the building exit to the team bus. One day, Haray Caray came out long after the bus filled up, carring two heavy black briefcases, and even put those down for a moment to sign a couple autographs.

but one player, on one day, came out and refused to sign for anyone, even the kids like me. Mel Hall. I recall him making a pretty good diving catch in right field that game, but he was still pretty much a rookie. a cocky rookie. The man walked back and forth and back and forth asking where his limo was, as guys like Sandberg and Ron Cey walked by signing autographs. He wouldn't sign anything for anyone, and it was mostly kids like myself asking.

Well Mel Hall, where's your limo, now?

-bscott.

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    Wow, after reading all of everyone else's experiences, most of them would eb very embarassing moments not just for the athlete but for you, the fan. Amazing how some athletes just don't get the big picture and really how close they were to not even playing pro sports...

I just loved your quote at the end. That is so true, and I don't think people really understand this concept. Especially some arrogant athletes and celebrities. My grandfather taught me something that keeps me grounded day after day. "He said no matter what you do or who you are, there is always someone better." I remember being stunned by the statement, and wanting to argue it. Names like Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, and Ali flashed before me. However, once I thought about it, I just couldn't make an argument.

The media blitzes us, daily, with debates about "who's the greatest of all time". Well, here is the thing - we have probably never seen the best player at any sport.

We blindly believe that "the cream will always rise to the top". Well sometimes it does! But I bet more often than not, things get in the way. Family, surroundings, life choices, and sometimes plain unadulterated luck plays the biggest impact. A few great examples come to mind. . .Brett Favre, Mike Piazza, and Kurt Warner. If it wasn't for an insignificant trade (at the time), a favor done for a godson, and an injury to a solid quarterback we aren't even talking about these guys. What a waste that would have been.

I played high school ball with a guy that was the most gifted and creative basketball player in the region. (This includes Ricky Davis -of the NBA- as I was blessed to get to play against him in a pick up game between his senior year and college). This kid could have EASILY had a college scholarship and perhaps gone on to bigger and better things. All he needed was to be given encouragement by his parents or coach. However, non was given, so rarely did he even see game time. That frustrates me to this day.

Long story short, I wish more people could be like the Buck O'Neil's of the world. People that understand that they were truly blessed, and understood the role that those blessings had put them in. If a player doesn't want to sign autographs, be polite to people at the stadium, or make charity appearances, that is fine. However, I do believe that they should then quit and go back to a 9-5 job. Charles Barkley made the phrase "I'm not a role model" famous. Unfortunately, that is one of the most moronic statements I've heard from an anyone. Being a role model comes with the profession he chose. Like it or not! Can you imagine if I told my son that "I'm not a role model". Or, if treated my professional clients and employees the way some of these players/celebrities do?

So next time you're walking down the isles of your local grocery store, and you see that employee that you wish would "just get a life". Just think, he just might, and you might be looking at the next Kurt Warner.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

Quote Originally Posted by ahuff View Post
    So next time you're walking down the isles of your local grocery store, and you see that employee that you wish would "just get a life". Just think, he just might, and you might be looking at the next Kurt Warner.
    Sorry, dude. I try not to pass judgement on anybody that has a job, period. You must live in Pleasantville. If you one day live in a city with crooks, panhandlers, drug dealers, identity-thieves, public-defacators, un-insured drivers, male-prostitutes and transvestites, then you will have a newfound respect and admiration for bagboys, stock-workers and clerks.

Autograph-seekers have dollar signs in their eyes. Everyone wants something for free. Athletes and celebrities are people and can't be "on-call" to accomodate the fanatics....err fans that camp outside the hotel, lying in wait.
    I can't imagine a parent saying to their kid: "why can't you be more like Charles Barkley?"
    In the words of the immortal Ice Cube..."to a kid lookin' up to me-life ain't nothing but b*t*hes and money..."