Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Re: Your Worst Experience Dealing With An Athlete

Jeff Banister was the skipper for the Scottsdale Scorpions in this year's Arizona Fall League. On several occasions, before a game, I asked him to sign a card or two - he was a catcher, and then a manager, in the minors for a number of years - and he was always happy to do so, putting a really beautiful signature on each card. The last time I saw him, I said, "This is the last time I'll be bugging you", to which he responded, "You're not bugging me. Someday you won't even want these things", meaning the cards. I assured him that was not going to happen.

I was 8 yrs old and i was in the mets dugout before a spring training game, hanging out and talking to players, and i asked Mike Piazza for his autograph, he said, "sure, one sec. let me just get something." he walked away and never came back

Oh i love this thread,thanks for starting this.As i want to tell this story.By far TERRY "the phony" bradshaw.Me and my girlfriend went to the steelers super bowl reunion show that hot corner sports (the best in steelers items) had in 1999 in pittsburgh.And i was excited as it was a steeler dreamland for me.With all those past steelers there and i had never met any of them.I could'nt afford to get autographs from all of them so i picked the ones i wanted the most.And unforgently bradshaw was one of them.As everyone else was great-swann (even though he complained that i was taking more than one picture of him signing) jack ham,rocky blier (who my girlfriend was flirting with but what was i going to do about it),coach noll,joe greene (was'nt there and i really wanted to meet him.But what a class act as he left my signed helmet for me as he came in the week before it).And then i got to meet my two heros-mike webster and jack lambert.And mr.webster almost made me cry seeing him like that,and as my girlfriend took my picture standing by him he said "wait i'll get up and take a picture" and i told him,"no,thats fine,you don't have to stand up for me".And lambert was the best and i was shaking the whole time just looking at him.Anyway,then came bradshaw,i sent my girlfriend up there as i wanted her to feel part of it so i had go up there for everyone but webster and lambert.And it was'nt bad enough that bradshaw would'nt take a picture with her as all the others did.This arrogent "bad word" would'nt even acknowledge her as he had his back turned to her talking to the people behind him.And then his handler tapped him on the shoulder and sandy said hi and he said nothing to her and before she could say to make it out to me (as she was going to,as we did with all the others that we got signed) ,he just turned around a little and reached back with his arm and signed the picture.Never stopped talking to his friends.Not even facing her and never once even looking at her.And as sandy said thanks to him he just then turn back around and continue talking.And i just lost it and said,Yeah don't even say hi or thanks, that's nice,"I can't believe that,that's nice to treat your fans with that respect"-"hey hollywood too big to be considerate to your fans".I mean if you don't want to talk to your fans then don't do a public signing.And of course security came over to me.And said what's the problem.I said his ego is,he thinks he is terry bradshaw or something.And even the security laughed at it.And we were not the only ones who he did that to as he did that the whole time we were standing in line and even after it he continued to be like that.And right at his time to end,he left the table with still alot of people in line.We were in another section of the convention center when i heard people talking and i asked what was going on and they told me there is a situation going by the tables.And i said let me guess,bradshaw's and the guys said yes.That i guess alot of people are pissed as he left without signing thier items.And it's fun y cause lambert i guess stayed a extra 2 hours making sure all in line got thier item signed.I guess that's what seperates class from well you know.Sorry so long of a story.

Clete Boyer

As an initial disclaimer, I witnessed Mr. Boyer be cordial and polite with literally thousands of people over the course of a summer and wish him no ill will.

I worked in a card/memorabilia shop for a couple summers in Cooperstown (where I'm from). Clete Boyer was allowed to set up a table and sell 8x10's for $10 or $20 a pop in the back. Growing up in Cooperstown you get a little immune to old-timer stars and Clete didn't really register on my radar. But all summer myself and the other kids working really sucked up to him, because if he asked us to fetch him an ice tea or cigarettes from across the street we could turn it into a thirty minute break. And he was a Yankee after all.

At the end of the summer I went back and asked him to sign a photo for me. It wasn't that I really wanted a Clete Boyer 8x10, but I figured, he I spent a summer in a tiny shop with this guy and ran countless errands for him. I can find room in my collection for a photo. He asked me my name and charged me full price. In contrast, Joe Pepitone spent one afternoon in the shop, bought us lunch, and knew everyones name before he left (there were only 3 of us).

I guess there's an advantage to being a female. I went to a free signing with Ronnie Lott in the late 80’s and noticed his SB ring. He took it off and let me hold it while he signed my ball.

In 1994, Montana and the Chiefs came to Tokyo for the American Bowl. The day before was a FanFest and I had a field pass. I had brought an official ball and marker to try to get Joe's auto, but the Japanese security was surrounding him and telling me no autos for anyone. I yelled out to Joe that I was from the Bay Area and could I please get his autograph. He turned around and motioned for me to come over. I proudly walked through the 4-5 rings of security guys who had told me it was impossible and Joe signed my ball. Loved it!

Last year I paid a small fortune on signing tickets for Gerardo Parra - I had so many items that the promoter gave me my own table to put them on, and sent Parra over to sign my stuff before he sat down to sign for everybody else. I had, I think, eight of his bats, from various points in his career, and I was looking forward to talking about them with him, along with three jerseys, numerous photos, etc. He walked up to the table talking on his cellphone and STAYED on his phone for the entire time that he was signing. He had one of his buddies snap a photo of one of my bats - the one with "El Yolo" instead of his name - and I couldn't even ask him why. THAT was pretty frustrating.

Bump, just because I love Howard's Kirk Gibson story.

I would also suggest reinstating Howard to the forum, considering there has been a wave of reinstatements recently!

Thanks for giving this thread a bump. I enjoyed reading Howard's Gibson helmet story again, and re-living my own encounter with the Big Unit.

I was just looking at the photos I posted with that story - the links still work! - and had a funny idea. I should take my print of the second one, the one where I'm looking at the bat like WTF?, and ask Randy to sign it - even if I had to pay a hundred+ bucks at a paid event. It would be worth it to see his reaction...and whether he'd turn the picture over and sign the back.

That Randy Johnson story and pics are priceless! Plus the link still works. LOL! Logged on just to say thanks for those posts! Just classic stuff.