Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Your Worst Experience Dealing With An Athlete

"Work"??? Most of these guys either don't know, or have forgotten what true "work" is. Break a leg Barry. Literally.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Always looking for vintage game used bats of Houston Buffs and Colt .45's players.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonHalliburton View Post
    As a huge Washington Nationals fan, maybe the biggest, I drove from Tennessee to D.C. to see the Nats play the Giants. It was 2005, the inagural season of the Nationals. I drove almost 9 hours one way, by myself to go to the game. It was Barry Bonds' first road game if the year. A great friend of mine got me into RFK Stadium early, before the gates opened. Barry Bonds came out and went into the stands, about two rows behind the plate or so. I walked over to see him and try to get a ball signed and my photo made with him. He sat down to talk to his 2 nephews that live in the D.C. area. I stayed about two rows behind him and did not bother him at all. Once he finished talking and went back toward the field, I yelled at him. I politely said "Mr.Bonds", with no reply. Once again I yelled politely, "Mr. Bonds". He was now about 10-15 feet away from me, and I decided to try it one more time. "Mr. Bonds" I said again. He turned around and looked at me and said "WHAT", really hateful and arrogant. I said "I drove 9 hours one way to see this game, may I please get my picture with you and get this ball signed"? He replied "I flew 5 hours one way to come to work", then he turned around and walked away. I was the only one around him, the only one that was talking to him and wanting anything.It was not like he was being asked by a hundred people. Barry Bonds is an all-star this season, once again. I agree that he is an all-star, an all-star PUNK. And people wonder why he is booed so much and hated by the fans.
    Jason - I have this picture from 9/20/05 of Barry hanging out with his nephew at RFK in Washington.

http://members.aol.com/allstarsplus/bonds_2005.jpg

Having a hard time posting pics so click on the link above.

Andrew

One more pic that someone else took. Check out Barry's huge smile! No jet lag from his 5 hour flight!

http://members.aol.com/allstarsplus/bonds_2005a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    One more pic that someone else took. Check out Barry's huge smile! No jet lag from his 5 hour flight!

http://members.aol.com/allstarsplus/bonds_2005a.jpg
    Hmm...756* is relaxing in the stands while his teammates are on the field stretching after they took that same five-hour flight that 756* was on to go to work.

Here's my experience with 756*. While working for a MLB team I tried to get as many signatures of visiting players as I could (while risking suspension for doing this). Inside an empty stadium before the gates were to open, I would ask 756* if he could sign a baseball for me. He turned me down time after time. Eventually, he did sign a baseball, but fast forward three seasons and several Giants series from my first attempt. Oh, well, at least he signed.

The guy can hit, there's no question about that. But, after reading others' experience with him, his mannerism towards others leaves a lot to be desired. Come to think of it, he is close to Willie Mays, isn't he?

He's voted in as a starter for the NL, but here's my 756* wish for the All Star Game festivities: He makes a surprising appearance in the Home Run Derby, walks up to the plate and ends up taking four wide ones. 756* tosses his bat, removes his elbow armor and walks off to the dugout for his only All Star appearance.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

Hi Ron,

Willie Mays is Barry's Godfather.

He's evidently learned from the best on how to treat others.

David

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Hi Ron,

Willie Mays is Barry's Godfather.

He's evidently learned from the best on how to treat others.

David
    Barry's own father was no prince either............

I was an avid autograph collector throughout my teenage years. I got over 2,000 signatures at Celebrity Golf Tournaments, Trade Shows, and Spring Training in Fla. I was just a punk kid (still am) and learned through trial and error, the best "timing" to ask a grown man to write his name. I was, and am a collector. I never sold an autograph that I asked for. I had great experiences and got autographs from the best: Joe Namath, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Hank Aaron, Michael Jordan, etc. I have also NEVER paid for an autograph. When I was 19 (legal adult, but still a teenager) I waited behind the hotel, in an alley, next to the team bus and along comes Magic Johnson. I had a photo and sharpie in hand. Magic was walking slowly, just be-bopping along. He wasn't carrying any luggage or bags or nothing. He wasn't wearing sunglasses. It was "the" Magic, the guy whose smile will light up the sky from Bangor, Maine to El Segundo (blah,blah,blah). I bought the shoes. I paid my debts to the Magic society. I said "Magic, could I have your autograph?" Magic seemed to walk slower and said, "No". There was no one around. No bodyguards, no other players, no security, no media, nobody. And most importantly, no other autograph seekers. It's more reasonable and easier to reject a crowd than a single punk kid. I was choked up. I said "Magic-C'mon..just one for the road?" He stopped and turned around and took a few steps toward me in a threatening manner and says, "No, man! None for the road!" I was real close to crying. It was just like an after-school special. Now was my golden chance to crack-back on Showtime himself! I quickly and nervously said "Well, Magic...I hope you have a ...bad game." Golden chance blown. Magic Johnson's highlight reel flashed before my eyes. As a kid, I was sold the dream that Magic was a real, nice guy. Reality is a bitch. I have never asked for an autograph since. I am a grown man. I am too old to ask for an autograph. I liked autographs from players who wanted to sign (for free). Yes, those days are over. But how much can you make, being a grown man selling autographs you got at the hotel? The rule is simple. If you were a child when they played...it is fair game to ask for an autograph. How would my life have changed if Magic signed for me? The lesson I learned about fantasy and reality is worth more than an autograph from Magic. The stories I've read on this thread are more valuable than the actual autographs.

I know this isn't an 'athlete' but I had an autograph rejection experience that took me out of collecting for several years. I'm a huge Paul Simon fan...and as a songwriter he's influenced me a lot. A few years ago, he was speaking at this convention for the New Yorker magazine. This was before he started touring again so I figured this might be my only chance to get his autograph. So over spring break, my parents and I cashed in our free air fare vouchers from a previous promotion to go see him speak. After he finished speaking, I noticed a black town car right by the side entrance of the building and figured it was his. So he walks out by himself and as he is walking I said how much he has inspired me as a writer and asked him to sign a CD. He was very rude and said 'absolutley not'. Needless to say I was devistated. Here was a guy that really inspired me as a songwriter and was a complete jerk. I would have taken it a lot better if he would have let me down easy with a lame excuse but because he was so rude about it I gave up collecting autographs because I just didn't want to have my opinions about an athlete or entertainer 'tainted' because of a bad autograph experience. Fast forward a few years later when he was touring as S and G. My father had just passed away months earlier and my mom and I drove to Cleveland to see them. While we were getting ready to get back in the highway to head home to Pgh, we drove by a hotel and saw two tour busses getting ready to pull in....I figured 'why not' and grabbed my program and ran out of the car. Off comes Paul Simon and I said "I enjoyed the show tonight, could you please sign my program'. This time he said 'sure' and thanked me for coming. I then told him how my dad had gotten me into his music and how he had just recently passed. Paul then said he was very sorry about my loss and hoped the concert was able to brighten my day.

I still don't collect as much as it was something that I mainly did with my dad (eventhough he HATED getting autographs). From time to time I'll go after a band I like or if I have a jersey or something I'd like to get signed from an athlete. Eventhough Paul Simon was very nice the second time around...part of me can never get that bad taste out of my mouth from the experience from a few years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by topekabob View Post
    I have to admit, I've never had a pro athlete say "Thanks so much for coming" to me at a ball game!
    My first MLB game was in 1977 when I was 9. I made my dad take me to the players' exit and I got a few autographs. One guy, a backup catcher named Joe Nolan, stopped and actually talked to us, thanking us for coming, asking us if we enjoyed the game, etc. I was already a big Nolan Ryan fan and became a big Joe Nolan fan from then on.

I remember asking Julio Cruz (Julio Cruz!!!) for an autograph at a Sox/O's game in Baltimore in 1985. Before he signed my card, he asked me what I was going to do with it (I was 18 at the time but looked older), I told him I collect signed cards--not that anyone can get rich off signed Julio Cruz cards anyway.

My rule of thumb is like bothteamsplayedhard..I don't ask for autographs anymore unless the player is older than me. Since I am 39 that means I don't ask for autographs of current players. I live in a town with a AA team and will check to see who the manager/coaches are of the visiting team and if I have old cards of them I'll take them to the ballpark and ask them to sign when they aren't busy. These guys are usually happy to be remembered.

My Bonds experience: in 1985, I went to a Prince William Pirates game in Woodbridge, Va. with the express intent of getting Barry's autograph as he was a highly touted draft pick. This was in July so he hadn't been a pro for very long. He ignored me and everyone else, and I have not liked him because of his attitude since then..count me as one of the original Barry haters. OTOH, in '92 or '93 I got a young Derek Jeter to sign his Topps 1st round draft pick card while in A ball in Greensboro. Of course, I still have it because I have never gotten an autograph with the intent to sell.

THis is NO JOKE, Jorge cantu had sex with my x-girlfriend and I had his personal cell phone number and called him about it and he said "dude, I had no idea she was not single." Nothing against jorge, but it was a bad experience