Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Your Worst Experience Dealing With An Athlete

John Stockton. I was 9 or 10 years old and my parents took me to a dream team game in Utah. I was all by myself at their hotel and was waiting for the team to leave. I saw stockton walking to his car and ran over to him with a pen and notepad. He completly ignored me and told me he wasnt signing anything, I was even wearing his jersey. Then I met Grant Hill and he was so awesome, even asked me if I wanted one of the bananas he was carrying! Coach Lenny Wilkins was also very nice.

Talking Re: Your Worst Experience Dealing With An Athlete

Quote Originally Posted by crose View Post
    John Stockton. I was 9 or 10 years old and my parents took me to a dream team game in Utah. I was all by myself at their hotel and was waiting for the team to leave. I saw stockton walking to his car and ran over to him with a pen and notepad. He completly ignored me and told me he wasnt signing anything, I was even wearing his jersey. Then I met Grant Hill and he was so awesome, even asked me if I wanted one of the bananas he was carrying! Coach Lenny Wilkins was also very nice.
    Sweet experience with Grant Hill! Guess I know whose jersey you decided to wear from that day forward.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by jkalathas View Post
    Reggie Jackson is a complete ass. I went to a show last year to have him sign a print, paid I think it was 100 bucks for his signature and inscription. I drove 4 hours to get to the signing each way. Reggie showed up 2 hours after he was to start signing for the public (although he was in the building, he was upstairs doing the mail in items and watching tv). He doesn't give a darn about the fans. Anyways, he comes and sits down 2 hours late and starts signing. I get up to meet the guy, doesn't even look up. I hand him a silver sharpie to use to sign my photo, and asked him if he would please use it and not the paint pen that he had been signing with. He then says "what you think this is the first autograph I ever signed?" I said no, but I would really appreciate if you could use my silver sharpie and not the paint pen. The jerk starts to sign his name with the paint pen and half way into signing Mr. October the paint pen goes dry. Exactly what I figured would happen. He gives me the photo back and I tell him congratulations on living up to his reputation for being an asshole (pardon my language). On another note, Melky Cabera and Robinson Cano were at the signing and are both very friendly. I asked Cano for an inscription and his agent said NO WAY, Cano didn't listen to him and signed the inscription anyway. He also took photos with everyone. One of the best guys of all time is Mariano Rivera. Signs a perfect signature for every time. He is a shy guy but a very great guy and loves his fans.
    Rivera is a trooper and a great sport. I've worked Fanfest for the past 5yrs and met Mariano at the All-Star Gala in Houston. There were signs everywhere not to ask any of the players for pictures or autographs. He's sitting at the table next to us eating with his family and a lot of people start coming up asking for pictures and autographs. The guy gets up with his daughter in his arms and starts signing and taking pictures. His wife and his parents look like they are about to lose it. After 10 minutes of this Gala staff finally come up and get everyone away from him. He sits down still holding his daughter and goes back to eating...way too nice of a guy.
    Brian Hillerich

Quote Originally Posted by jkalathas View Post
    Reggie Jackson is a complete ass. I went to a show last year to have him sign a print, paid I think it was 100 bucks for his signature and inscription. I drove 4 hours to get to the signing each way. Reggie showed up 2 hours after he was to start signing for the public (although he was in the building, he was upstairs doing the mail in items and watching tv). He doesn't give a darn about the fans. Anyways, he comes and sits down 2 hours late and starts signing. I get up to meet the guy, doesn't even look up. I hand him a silver sharpie to use to sign my photo, and asked him if he would please use it and not the paint pen that he had been signing with. He then says "what you think this is the first autograph I ever signed?" I said no, but I would really appreciate if you could use my silver sharpie and not the paint pen. The jerk starts to sign his name with the paint pen and half way into signing Mr. October the paint pen goes dry. Exactly what I figured would happen. He gives me the photo back and I tell him congratulations on living up to his reputation for being an asshole (pardon my language). On another note, Melky Cabera and Robinson Cano were at the signing and are both very friendly. I asked Cano for an inscription and his agent said NO WAY, Cano didn't listen to him and signed the inscription anyway. He also took photos with everyone. One of the best guys of all time is Mariano Rivera. Signs a perfect signature for every time. He is a shy guy but a very great guy and loves his fans.
    reggie has to be one of my favorites in 2006 the last series the o's played the yankees reggie came to baltimore some of the o's wanted his autograph i got two dozen baseballs went over asked him to sign them he did he asked who they were for i told him he asked what about you ? i told him i did not have any he went in the ball room got three baseballs and signed them for me.when bp statrd he was helping me with the bucket in center field i got to talk to him the whole bp and play catch withhim he told me how he loves camden yards and how he would love to hit therehe signed every ball perfect he also signed a ball for my moms friend who is a fireman and is battling cancer he signed the ball to him and wrote get better soon and signed hof reggie has to be one of the best i have met.

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    Forum Readers-

Yankwood made a post about his terrible experience with Nettles which has me thinking.........

WHAT'S YOUR WORST EXPEREINCE WITH AN ATLETE RELATED TO GAME USED EQUIPMENT?

It may relate to you trying to get an item autographed, asking a player if he remembers using your item, etc.

Personally, I had an experience back in the mid 1990's with Kirk Gibson that I'll never forget.

While living in Seattle at the time, I went to the Mariners/Tigers game in the old Kingdome. I had Gibson’s mid 1980's Tigers game worn helmet with me in hopes of having him sign it. Upon entering the Dome during the Tigers BP, I spotted Gibson near the first base line. When I called him over, I asked him to sign his helmet. He asked where I got it, and I explained it was obtained from a friend in Detroit and provided the name (this person used to drive a limo and in exchange for $$$, Gibson would pilfer game used equipment). I said it was from "our mutual friend XXX". Gibson then became upset, and said “XXXX is no FxxxIN' friend, he's and acquaintance" and walked down towards the dugout. I then positioned my self behind the dugout, and when he came out with his bat for BP, I again asked if he could sign it. He looked up, and screamed, "Where the FxxK did you get the helmet?" I again told him from our friend in Detroit. At this point, quite a few of the Tigers heard this confrontation and gathered around the dugout to hear this exchange. Gibson continued and said, "That Mother FuXXXr was stolen.....is it cracked?.....is cracked????". I told hi it was not, and he continued, "......I would have never have given away an uncracked helmet. I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what......I'm going to watch where you sit tonight and if I break my helmet, I'm comin up there and getting yours". I told him it was not stolen, and I would swap him even up for the BP jersey he was wearing. Likewise, I told him that he used to pilfer a lot of game used equipment in exchange for limo service and at this point he began to walk towards the camera pit on the left side of the dugout and climb into the stands, all the while screaming at me "FucX you you mother FXXXXr". As he took his final step into the stands and in my direction, coach Dick Trasuski grabbed him and screamed "You don't talk to fans like that". Then Gibson broke loose, and walked into the outfield.

Needless to say, Kingdome security and the Seattle Police came down to take a report and get my thoughts on the incident.

Following this incident, I immediately sold the helmet (unautographed!) and never, to this day, forgot my encounter with the great Kirk Gibson.

Howard Wolf
    hblkakewolf@patmedia.net
    Howard, I still have that helmet I bought from you..............

Hunter Pence was a nice guy when he came to play the Orioles in June 2008.He signed for almost everyone outside but he personalized the Balls he signed for me and my GirlFriend.He was talking to us outside also.He even had to hold back Mike Bourn and Rggie Abercrombie from fighting some guy outside because Bourn and Abercrombie would not sign and that guy said a bad remark to Both.Pence Ran after the 2 Ballplayers and grabbed them both before something bad would have happened.Never seen something like that before with Ballplayers.Hunter would not take pics though.

Carlos Lee was not that nice at all to me.He saw me take a pic of him and would not sign my Ball but signed for every single person except me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdale View Post
    Howard, I still have that helmet I bought from you..............
    I often think about what could have been, if he had ventured into the stands. Although I'd need a wheel chair, I'd be living large from the personal injury award.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@comcast.net

"Wild Thing" Mitch Williams was trying to avoiding us kids (I was about 8) at a stop light on his and a few other cubs players route home from Wrigley to the local expressway. Wild Thing, Sandberg, Sutcliffe, Grace sometimes Harry Caray and the beautiful ball girl Marla Collins as well would drive down a side street that ran paralel with the main street, but to avoid the 2 lane street Irving Park and having to deal with all the fans every stop light they would use Berteau. We would wait at the stop light Western ave. and if they got stuck at the light most of the time they would all sign. EXEPT...Wild Thing

One day he wanted to avoid us so bad, the car in front of him had to stop at the light because it turned yellow, then red...but not Mitch. Driving his BIG pick-up truck he swirved around the car in front of him up onto the sidewalk and right over our skateboard ramp. I don't even think he flinched, just sped up and went right through the red light. A real winner...yah right!!

Best Ever: Jerome Bettis/Jack Lambert/Franco Harris

Worst Ever: Tie between Terry Bradshaw and Lynn Swann

I went to a CSA show a few years back. Bradshaw who come off all fun to be around on TV is just the opposite off camera. I had a M & N jersey customized with all his stats. I asked him to inscribe it with SB XIII & XIV MVP. Which I paid for. And the whole time he was there, with me or other fans, all he did is complain about the line not moving fast enough. And Lynn Swann....What a jerk!!! I paid over $100 for him to sign my full size helmet and add his HOF 01. He said "you paid for my signature, nothing else". I would have paid for the inscription but he wasn't offering any.

I was at a show in NJ several years ago. The event for the day was over. My wife and I were going out to dinner. As usual, I was waiting for her. We left and I saw a limo parked outside. I then see about 10-15 kids selling raffle tickerts for little league. I see what appears to be Jerome Bettis get out of the limo. I immediately get out of my vehicle and ask for a pic with him. He said "of course". Didn't hurt I had my Steelers sweatshirt on. Then as I was walking away, the kids asked me who he was. When I told them, they rushed him. He sat there and signed for each and every kid. Jack Lambert, my all time favorite player of any sport. I can't say enough. He isn't the most friendly guy with all the fans but he has been with me. Giving me all sorts of inscriptions which he doesn't always do. And taking pictures with my son. Franco the same thing. Just one of the class acts. I wish they could all be that great!!

my wife and I were in florida at an event that featured Joe Montana. there were 5 groups of 2 who had vip access, and were to have pictures taken with Montana. after the first 2 groups he started getting aggitated. my wife and I were next in line and heard him say, "I have had about enough of this". he walked away, and went to sit down where the signing was to take place. my wife and I were forced to go around the table, and get the picture while he was sitting down. ok, i guess, but it would have been nice to get it standing up with him as arranged. after about an hour of signing, he got up and walked out. no explanation of anything.....then he came back 20 minutes later.

one of the best was Joe Theisman. he was doing a "motivational speaking" in Harrisburg, PA. after the event, he signed for an hour and a half for everyone that asked. my wife and I waited till last to have a picture of her, and I, and Theisman signed, and inscribed. before he signed, we started talking. I asked him if we could buy him a beer, and he said he was headed back to the hotel. we were disappointed till he said the Hilton where he was staying had a bar. we walked back with him in shock to the bar, and bought him a beer. before we left, he signed our picture, and inscribed it,"To my friends mark, and Kendra......" very cool experience, and very cool guy.

mark