Forum Readers-
Here's a little more positive experience with a batting helmet at the Kingdome........

Back in 1993, I took my 1991 game worn Chris Haney batting helmet to the Royals game (he was traded to the Royals) in hopes of meeting pitcher Haney and getting him to auto. this gem. Although not a huge name, the helmet was his rookie gamer from Montreal. It had the rare Desert Storm sticker on back (Canadian version, no less!) and HANEY on the bill. When he walked onto the field during pre-games, I asked him if he could autograph it. He gave me a look similar to a deer in headlights and asked me hand it to him to take a look. When I handed it to him, he asked how I got it. when I explained it was purchased from a sports memorabilia dealer who purchased it directly from the Expos, he chimed up and said it was amazing that this type of thing is for sale to the general public, and said he wished he had it for his own collection. I immediately asked if he wanted it, and he said he did. As such, he asked me how much I wanted for it. I said make me a trade offer. After a little going back and forth, Chris thanked me for the helmet and I in turn, thanked him for his Mizuno glove, full name embroidered.

Next up......the story of Steve Carlton and his refusal to sign his 1986 Phillies green St. Patrick's hat for me.......

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net