Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: My humble Jose Canseco game-used collection

Quote Originally Posted by GrndSlm View Post
    Nice Helmet !! That helmet originally came from my office. I started working for Jose in the early 90"s with my marketing company (Grand Slam Marketing) before I became his agent and closed the marketing side. Jose was the first player that started marketing his game used stuff. He did this because after his 40/40 season he would get most or all of his bats stolen during most road trips. He asked the team for help on this and they just brushed it aside....Jose eventually got upset and started purchasing his gear himself. This way HE controlled were and how his items were protected. Once he started controlling his memorabilia then he started offering it to his fans !! It was never a money issue but Jose saw way to much fake items being sold to his fans. This became a trend with AROD, Jr. , Bonds and others to form the direct link from player to fans that you see today. Now, in my opinion, alot of the game used gear today is being mass produced which was not Jose's intention in the early 90's.
    Have fun and enjoy the helmet !!! Do you still have the LOA from Grand Slam available?

Thanks,
    Juan Iglesias
    GrndSlm@aol.com

Hi Juan,

Thanks for sharing that. I always look forward to your replys on Canseco threads.

The only LOA that I have for the helmet is roughly 5 by 7. It has a green border and an Oakland A's logo on the top left corner. It says "from the Desk of Jose Canseco and it's signed by him. He says that the helmet was used during the 1990 regular season. It doesn't mention Grand Slam specifically. Is this the one you are referring to or was there another LOA? I'm so thankfull to have this helmet. I love it.

Thanks

-Jason

Banned

Man, I really wanted to keep that helmet when I first saw it !!! I know exactly which item this is becasue Jose wrote the LOA from his own personal note pad. That is why you have the "from the desk of Jose Canseco" on it. We were not that advanced back then but the letter alone is a gem.....I think he only wrote a hand full of those letter before I started doing them in the computer on Grand Slam Marketing stationary. REALLY NICE !!!

thanks,
    Juan Iglesias
    GrndSlm@aol.lcom

P.S. I really dont have anything for sale. I kept all the Canseco stuff because it just has to many memories.

Banned

Also, look inside the helmet and you will see a circle stamped inside on the plastic. This will indicate the month and year the helmet was made!! Send me a pick and I will help you identify this information.

thanks,
    Juan Iglesias
    GrndSlm@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by GrndSlm View Post
    P.S. I really dont have anything for sale. I kept all the Canseco stuff because it just has to many memories.
    I more than understand that.

Thanks Juan! I'm going to try an get a good pic of the inside and send it to you. Once I do that I will have a question for you.

Take care.

-Jason

Here's my latest pickup from ebay. Canseco socks. He he. They are reportedly Tampa Bay Devil Rays socks from the 2000 season. I got them because I don't see socks up for sale to often, they were inexpensive and I thought they were kind of interesting. They are clean and they don't smell. He he he. Whaddya think?

Have to add this to the McGwire jockstrap as one of the strangest Bash Brother pieces on the forum.

I saw the socks on ebay. Did they come with any form of authentication, team letter? I hope you didn't buy some random dude's old socks.

Quote Originally Posted by CansecoPower33 View Post
    Have to add this to the McGwire jockstrap as one of the strangest Bash Brother pieces on the forum.

I saw the socks on ebay. Did they come with any form of authentication, team letter? I hope you didn't buy some random dude's old socks.
    Whoa! The jockstrap is crossing a line for me. I don't think I could go there.

The socks came with a COA but not a team letter. It's not exactly rock-solid provenance but I'm pretty sure they're the real deal. They were cheap so what the heck.

-Jason M

Man I thought several times about buying those socks but just couldn't give up the $49.95 plus shipping for them. They look authentic and who can say they have Canseco game socks? If nothing else they will make great bat protectors. Just kidding Jason, Thanks for the photos. If anyone has any Canseco bat requests for trade or sale let me know.

Thanks Todd

Woo hoo!!!

I'm really excited right now because I finally scored a Canseco game used baseball mitt. It seems to come with some pretty good provenance too. I'll post pics as soon as it arrives.

It looks like this

-Jason M