Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marcus Allen Jersey...Need Your Help!

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/1981-...-LOT29882.aspx

Guys, Im very interested in this 1981 Marcus Allen gamer. Im actually having Marcus look at the auction himself as I write this to give his opinion. This being said, I have issues with this jersey and I need any help you guys may have. First, I have located SEVERAL so called 1981 game worn Marcus Allen maroon jerseys. Common sense tells us this is a major problem. Here they are......

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/2014/...03344726562500

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/mar...lot128880.aspx

http://bidami.com/Auctions/AuctionIt...d=31800&t=&p=0

Also, I just got off the phone with the equipment guys at USC and they told me that one of Marcus's 1981 maroon gamers is on display at USC right now. Boys, that makes FIVE 1981 Marcus Allen gamers. Common sense tells us that Marcus was not given 5 jerseys that season. Further, after a lengthy phone chat with SCP Auctions, I was told the wear on the Allen jersey is light. All of the photos of Marcus Ive seen from 1981 show his jerseys as being pounded. All of this evidence concerns me greatly thus why I need any help you guys may have. I know the SCP jersey has the LOA from USC, but we all know what an LOA is worth. All opinions on this welcome..........

Re: Marcus Allen Jersey...Need Your Help!

Multiple USC items in the current SCP Auction were misidentified, if not misrepresented, and as a result an unusual number of lots have been pulled (in my opinion several other lots are questionable). I'm not necessarily suggesting a problem with the Allen jersey just saying buyer beware because the USC LOA isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

DoctorLoomis.....About a year ago I received a call from Bob Case, (International Boxing Assoc. VP), he has the huge USC game worn collection. He explained to me what to look for in a game worn Marcus Allen USC jersey, and he has one by the way. He wore 3 different brands in his four years. Rawlings, Goodman&Sons and I believe the 3rd was Russell. Some had crotch pieces on them too. I don't believe that any of those four auction listings were ever worn by Allen. The tagging and numerical font on them give them away. They should have a perfect square look inside the numerical font and wash in 120 degree water on the tagging, on the Goodman & Son. I have Bob's phone number if you want to talk to him about Allen game worn jersey's in question. Contact me if you want, bgakladd@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by bgakladd View Post
    DoctorLoomis.....About a year ago I received a call from Bob Case, (International Boxing Assoc. VP), he has the huge USC game worn collection. He explained to me what to look for in a game worn Marcus Allen USC jersey, and he has one by the way. He wore 3 different brands in his four years. Rawlings, Goodman&Sons and I believe the 3rd was Russell. Some had crotch pieces on them too. I don't believe that any of those four auction listings were ever worn by Allen. The tagging and numerical font on them give them away. They should have a perfect square look inside the numerical font and wash in 120 degree water on the tagging, on the Goodman & Son. I have Bob's phone number if you want to talk to him about Allen game worn jersey's in question. Contact me if you want, bgakladd@aol.com
    Thank you so much my friend....I just emailed you.

Guys, I just read an archived MEARS article on Goodman tagging for USC jerseys specifically. I have attached a screen shot of that article. Further, I have attached a photo of the tagging on the Allen jersey that I WAS going to bid on. In the MEARS article it says that "wash in lukewarm water" was found on Goodman tagging beginning in 1982. Prior to 1982 it should read "wash in 120 degree water". Well as you can clearly see, this supposed 1981 tag reads wash in lukewarm. If MEARS is correct then this tagging absolutely IMPEACHES this jersey and ALL of the other supposed 1981 Allen jerseys above. IMO, all collectors should read this carefully as this could be a huge deal in our industry.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Doctor...got your email. Feel free to call. Barry

Here's a 1981 SI with Allen on the cover. I do see a glaring problem with the SCP jersey. Does anyone know if he wore multiple jerseys during the season?

The SI cover photo completely impeaches the offered jersey.

DoctorLoomis...here are a couple of snapshots I have from the 1981 USC and Washington State Cougars game. Back side and front views of Marcus Allen's jersey for you to look at. The photo SCP shows is the same game as my snapshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thank you Barry for the info on some of the other USC jerseys available!