Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Football Helmet Date Codes

Barry, email sent

I still have my Bike helmet that I was issued my junior season in high school (1978)...I'm the only one who ever wore it (1978-79 seasons). I looked and did not find a date code under the jaw pads, but I'll look a little closer in other areas of the helmet to see if there are any other type markings. I remember Alabama first used the Bike helmets in the 1976 season, and several of players on my team stated to wear them in the 1977 season, before we were all issued the Bike helmets in '78. My coach is unfortunately deceased, but one of the assistants is still around...I'll ask him if he has any old brochures/literature/handouts, etc. Its a long shot but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by wfl1974 View Post
    I still have my Bike helmet that I was issued my junior season in high school (1978)...I'm the only one who ever wore it (1978-79 seasons). I looked and did not find a date code under the jaw pads, but I'll look a little closer in other areas of the helmet to see if there are any other type markings. I remember Alabama first used the Bike helmets in the 1976 season, and several of players on my team stated to wear them in the 1977 season, before we were all issued the Bike helmets in '78. My coach is unfortunately deceased, but one of the assistants is still around...I'll ask him if he has any old brochures/literature/handouts, etc. Its a long shot but you never know.
    I am not confident with the newspaper article on the 1977 date either. Look for your code on the back near the Velcro area. Notice Scott's photos of his 1976 Bike shell molding code and a 1978 Bike code that looks similar to what Schutt used.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jetersbatboy View Post
    Hey Barry, any chance you have the info on the material digit designation code? What numbers where used to designate what material. I know that 0 & 1 designates poly carb materials, and 5 & 6 designate an ABS material. what about other numbers? And also can it be confirmed that Poly carb was used only for adult helmets and ABS used for Youth?? Thanks! Any more info on this would be helpful!

Aloha Scott
    Scott, found something for you concerning your question if it can be confirmed that Bike and Schutt used the same numerical digits for the material designation codes for the adult ( 0-1 ) and youth ( 5-6 ) football helmets. Glenn Beckmann of the Schutt Co. gave me the first list explaining the numbers for the material/suppliers digits. So I emailed him asking him the question if Schutt simply picked up where Bike left off on these codes. I am including an article clipping where Glenn states Schutt bought the intellectual property and the physical helmet aspects of Bike Sporting Goods. Adding that the Bike spread sheets shows a same shell helmet code as Schutt makes me wonder if Schutt did continued the same coding procedure that Bike started. I will let you know his answer to see if there is a confirmation on these digits when replies back.

I bought a new Bike helmet in 1978 when I was playing semi-pro ball as I had little confidence in the clear shell MacGregor that I wore the previous season. It was a bit heavier on the head than the MacGregor or any Riddell helmet in that era, and that's what I liked about it as I felt that it provided a bit more protection. I wore the helmet until my "retirement" in 1983, and I held on to it over the years.

I pulled the pads and velcro strips in the back inside of the helmet and could not find any codes. There is some lettering and numbers on the outside left rear of the helmet. Unfortunately, it is difficult to read as our team changed helmet colors a few years after I bought the helmet, and the painter buffed the helmets before applying the orange paint to the original white surface.

It looks like AIR with T.M. (trade mark) is on one line. The AIR is in very large letters when compared to the T.M. and all other letters and numbers on the back of the helmet. Underneath is what appears to be the number 8, but I cannot tell if any other numbers are present. Underneath that is what might be the patent number as I can see U.S. and after a long gap I can see the numbers 763 (the "8" that I previously described is above, and slightly to the left of the 763). Underneath the patent is waht appears to be "Made in the USA".

I don't know if this helps or confuses matters. I haev attached a photo of the back area of the helmet,

. . . geez, nothing like hitting the "Submit Reply" button instead of the "Preview Post" button. I had nothing more to add other than to say that not much can be seen from the photo I attached, but at least it shows the area of the stamped numbers and lettering.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking to buy World Football League uniforms.

Can anyone shed some light on what these codes mean? They are all Riddells, the first is a VSR4, the 2 others are older Riddells.
    Any input/help is appreciated.