Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

MLB hologram on Sheffield jersey in MEARS auction

For everybody who asks what the "self destructing" MLB holo looks like when pulled off and repositioned; I'd assume that is what happened here:

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...84842c_lg.jpeg

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...-LOT84842.aspx

Re: MLB hologram on Sheffield jersey in MEARS auction

Yep, exactly. I'm surprised no mention of that is made in the description.
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Tony said that the picture is there to show the potential buyers the condition of the hologram. He stated that the holograms get damaged during regular use. Additionally, he decided to pull the jersey to review it again.

Obviously, the comment about tags being damaged is possible, but in this specific case, there's no way the tag gets obliterated like that (to the point that it no longer sticks to the item) due to simple handling of the item.

If there was ever a proof of hologram tampering, this would be a perfect example.

Another proof that the hologram does not belong to this jersey or vice versa, where are the residue on the jersey's tag? With all the missing substance on the hologram, those would have been seen clearly on the tag itself.

Quote Originally Posted by marino13 View Post
    If there was ever a proof of hologram tampering, this would be a perfect example.

Another proof that the hologram does not belong to this jersey or vice versa, where are the residue on the jersey's tag? With all the missing substance on the hologram, those would have been seen clearly on the tag itself.
    That was my exact first thought as well. There should be little circular shaped dots all over that tag. They are probably still attached to the "good" jersey and not the one that came with zero documentation.

I have to say it is perplexing to me that an auction house, especially one known for their knowledge of game used jerseys, would allow this hologram as provenance.