Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: MLB/team shilling?

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    I disagree. What if a third party were interested in purchasing the item at $600 but didn't get a chance to bid due to the winner and under-bidder having bids placed at $750 and $800.

I think the under-bidder should be given the option to purchase at their top losing bid or the item should be relisted.
    You have a good point, but at this point the deal is with the underbidder, and while we know the shiller cost him money, any potential activity by other bidders is just guessing.

Also, the MLB team isn't interested in fairness - they want money. A good argument and a good $ figure is probably enough to get the deal done.

How could someone not pay for their item? I bi on MLB Auctions too and they already have my credit card info. As soon as I win something they charge my card….
    Unless people are entering fake credit card info, I don't understand how something doesn't get paid for…...

I had a few issues last year that made me suspect some shill bidding was going on with MLB items. It all started when someone bid me up and once they matched my bid they quit. Shortly after I noticed the same thing happening on a separate item that I was watching to another bidder. Once the suspected schill matched the original bid he quit.
    When I went back and looked at the bid history on the item I had won then I could see that the bidder who bid me up had changed his name and was the same bidder who ran up the second item I was watching a week later.You could think it was coincidence but I could track the shills name changes thru my bid history and you have to ask yourself who & why would someone change their name 6 times in just a few months. It didn't seem right to me at the time.
    I lost track of the suspected shill when MLB changed their format last year but it also seemed to me that the suspected shill bidding has dropped off some since that point.

Also agree with the consensus that MLB.com auction items are definitely being shilled at times.

From my understanding, any bids placed by the following bidders are shill bids:

Sullyrackem
    sparkles1

Quote Originally Posted by BVC View Post
    I won quite a few items from MLB Auctions this year, but my last experience led me to believe there might be some shilling going on, either by MLB or by one or more of MLB teams. Specifically, I was offered an item at my high bid, that I was supposedly the underbidder on. Checking the bidder history, I recognized the winner as someone who bids a lot and never wins. Now he wins and I end up getting offered his item. I argued that he looked to be a shiller and his bids should be removed - the Washington Nationals agreed to my price.

Still, it smells bad. I haven't bid with MLB Auctions since.
    Email me
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

I was going to add I quit looking at items due to bidding by NEWYORK25 and MTC and others, so sorry maybe I'm wrong.
    Then I gave up long ago on NFL Auctions, think the name was like Steadynitenson? I was run up by 45 plus bids on a Niners jersey and saw it happening on all the other team players, but that was a year plus ago.

Exclamation Re: MLB/team shilling?

Thought this thread could use a renewal -

Cardinals auctions on mlb

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but Cardsgurl16 bids only on items that have a reserve on them. The bidder is always ending their bidding just under the reserve. They have done this multiple times. Don't believe me? Watch the stephen piscotty jersey currently up for auction. You can also be sure to see the wacha coming up go the same way. This bidder NEVER wins and NEVER bids on anything without a reserve.

If I were anyone bidding on cardinals stuff I would stay away from anything attached to a reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by sherbal15 View Post
    Thought this thread could use a renewal -

Cardinals auctions on mlb

I don't know if anyone else has noticed but Cardsgurl16 bids only on items that have a reserve on them. The bidder is always ending their bidding just under the reserve. They have done this multiple times. Don't believe me? Watch the stephen piscotty jersey currently up for auction. You can also be sure to see the wacha coming up go the same way. This bidder NEVER wins and NEVER bids on anything without a reserve.

If I were anyone bidding on cardinals stuff I would stay away from anything attached to a reserve.
    You can also watch the kolten wong helmet currently up for auction. Cardsgurl16 currently is in the "lead". The reserve must be close...

Quote Originally Posted by sherbal15 View Post
    You can also watch the kolten wong helmet currently up for auction. Cardsgurl16 currently is in the "lead". The reserve must be close...

I don't see the big deal because there's a reserve already on the item. It's not like they're running the price up on people because technically no one is winning the item.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    I don't see the big deal because there's a reserve already on the item. It's not like they're running the price up on people because technically no one is winning the item.
    I disagree. Without the bids by cardsgurl16 most, if not all, all of these items wouldn't even come close to the price they end up at. All the reserve is doing is ensuring that cardsgurl16 will never win. Creating a false interest in an item through fake bidders is shilling, reserve or not. Taking it one step further - normally you point to a recent auction sale price to benchmark the value of an item right? What better way to justify CRAZY prices to customers than point to your own shilled auction?