Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: MLB/team shilling?

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post

...This is why I keep saying it's pointless to talk about "shill" bidding in reserve price auctions where the reserve price is unmet.
    The reserves are consistently getting met. Check the history of "recently closed items" on the team page. Go to the recently closed/ended auctions where reserves are met. See whose name appears throughout (cardsgurl16) so there is no confusion).

What idiot would bid on any item where the seller is allowed to bid on their own item? If you have a list of auction houses that disclose this info please forward it on. That might actually be useful information.

Quote Originally Posted by sherbal15 View Post
    What idiot would bid on any item where the seller is allowed to bid on their own item? If you have a list of auction houses that disclose this info please forward it on. That might actually be useful information.
    I used to feel the same way, but I found when dealing with rare coins, sometimes you have to deal with auctions that allow that, or you just never get the coins you want.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsontravis@ymail.com View Post
    These auctions are run by people making a very modest middle class wage. If their contract renewal is based off how much they sell things for or what their auctions look like I'd think one would be VERY motivated to schill.
    The info would get back to management in an organization as big as that one. There are assistants to the assistant's assistant. Someone will notice.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOnBat View Post
    The info would get back to management in an organization as big as that one. There are assistants to the assistant's assistant. Someone will notice.
    Really? Who is going to know if I go home(or to a friend's), make an mlb auction account, and then start bidding.

No one is going to know unless I tell someone.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsontravis@ymail.com View Post
    Really? Who is going to know if I go home(or to a friend's), make an mlb auction account, and then start bidding.

No one is going to know unless I tell someone.
    Hundreds of independent auditors review every detail of every piece of business the club conducts. It just takes one metric being reviewed to throw a red flag. I'm sure they review the bid histories of their auctions and the personal information associated with those accounts in order to leverage the specific interests of those customers.

It's possible no one notices, sure, but again, it's not like it's a guy in a basement calling himself an auction house with no accountability.

That being said, I just looked through the CardsGurl bids for the last few months and I agree they lean towards the beliefs of the original poster and would be worth a message to the team if someone was so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    I was going to add I quit looking at items due to bidding by NEWYORK25 and MTC and others, so sorry maybe I'm wrong.
    Then I gave up long ago on NFL Auctions, think the name was like Steadynitenson? I was run up by 45 plus bids on a Niners jersey and saw it happening on all the other team players, but that was a year plus ago.

Looks like NEWYORK25 is reading the posts........currently bidding on the Wacha jersey listed for auction. Funny, I don't see cardsgurl16 "interested" in the newest stuff on auction.....

The items are shilled to the point where the next bid triggers the reserve price. The items are getting sold at an artificial price
    The reserves are consistently getting met. Check the history of "recently closed items" on the team page. Go to the recently closed/ended auctions where reserves are met. See whose name appears throughout (cardsgurl16) so there is no confusion).
    You're the one who introduced the question of supposed shills bidding up to the reserve, but not triggering it. In the scenario you originally were complaining about, since no sale was affected, there would be no recourse against the seller. (4) indicates that the winning bidder, if they can prove the seller shill bid, would be given the option of purchasing at the price created by the last legitimate bid or giving up the item. If your supposed shills only bid up to below the reserve, then it's irrelevant. The buyer would need to prove that the highest losing bid was a shill bid in order for the UCC to be considered.

Looks like NEWYORK25 is reading the posts........currently bidding on the Wacha jersey listed for auction. Funny, I don't see cardsgurl16 "interested" in the newest stuff on auction.....
    Maybe enough people complained about that account, and it was suspended. Maybe cardsgurl16 is on vacation or at work today. We aren't privy to this information, so we can't really assume anything.

I have spoke with MLB and they want to look into this issue. Please provide me all user names you suspect of schill bidding, I will report to them and let you know the outcome.

Thanks