Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: MLB/team shilling?

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    Is this problem with suspected shill bidding still going on in MLB Auctions?...I have not bid for a few years, as every time it seemed like Terms or Mustafa Cat would run me up incessantly. So, I popped over there recently and tracked some items the last few weeks and most of the gear I looked at had Joe Soss and some other names putting bid after bid on them, and it wasn't for just one player. If legit, I can't understand the bidding strategy, other than to just to run guys up. Maybe this is coincidental, I know the card companies bid heavy...Is the same issue happening on Cardinals gear that was discussed above?
    I can't say anything for other teams as I only really look at cardinals auctions. Rarely do I bid on anything anymore due to lack of interest in what they list these days. I can say after this thread was created cardsgurl16 never bid again. Don't know if that's a coincidence or not. I did alert MLB auctions that the possibility of shill bidding was going on under that username and another. The response I got was "the other username actually bids on a lot of items and wins regularly, cardsgurl16 was one that they would look into". So draw your own conclusion I guess.

Ben, unfortunately I'd say this is still occurring with regularity with situations similar to what others had described previously. The same bidder names pop up time and time again with the purpose of what appears to be just driving up the prices, not to actually win or buy anything. The Orioles often place reserves on many of their items and they're not hard to figure out what the reserve amount is. A bidder. "Kaszycki", will bid on many items with a bid of one penny under the reserve amount and never actually wins an item. This especially true for Manny Machado bats. The reserve is always $1k and Kaszycki will usually be one of the first bidders with a $999.99 bid. It's very frustrating and immature but just something we have to deal with in our hobby. There are other bidder names as well doing similar but this one just sticks out. And people do change there bidder names regularly. But just watching the types of items and pricing they're very quickly figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone90 View Post
    Ben, unfortunately I'd say this is still occurring with regularity with situations similar to what others had described previously. The same bidder names pop up time and time again with the purpose of what appears to be just driving up the prices, not to actually win or buy anything. The Orioles often place reserves on many of their items and they're not hard to figure out what the reserve amount is. A bidder. "Kaszycki", will bid on many items with a bid of one penny under the reserve amount and never actually wins an item. This especially true for Manny Machado bats. The reserve is always $1k and Kaszycki will usually be one of the first bidders with a $999.99 bid. It's very frustrating and immature but just something we have to deal with in our hobby. There are other bidder names as well doing similar but this one just sticks out. And people do change there bidder names regularly. But just watching the types of items and pricing they're very quickly figured out.
    Tony, you are right, Kaszycki was a name I saw on a ton of items, especially Machado like you mention...

Terms does win items and they show up on EBay using the pictures from MLB auctions nearly instantly.

These bidding tactics are what has made me stop bidding on MLB auctions until the last 6 minutes or so. Was to a point where I would place a bid then they would come along indeed put 20 bids of the minimum bid stopping just before my max bid. So I no longer bid before the last 6 minutes.

Saw this happen with a couple George Brett GU jerseys from his days as Royals hitting coach. One jersey sold for $400. Next one over $1000 because someone Schilled up the poor guy's bid to his max.

you mean shit like this
    http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auct...tionId=1806231

why would anyone pay that much for a jersey in a game that he didn't play in

Quote Originally Posted by tbone90 View Post
    "Kaszycki" is at it again, changed his username to "GameUsed", probably after this thread was revived. I remembered seeing him bid the old $1,999.99 tactic time after time before, Tony, like this...
    http://auctions.mlb.com/iSynApp/auct...20#bid-history