Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: HOF voting

Hybrid View

Re: HOF voting

I thought the commonly held belief -- and I'm not interested in Bonds enough to care to look it up -- was that he started juicing because he was jealous of all the attention McGwire and Sosa were getting. A quick look at his stats, to me, show that to be where he jumped to superhuman status.

He averaged 25 HR's a year his first 7 years. Even taking away his first year in which he only played 113 games his average for the next 6 years was 26.6 a year.
    Hit hit 46 in 1993. Nearly double his average. I really doubt if any players HR totals nearly double just because of moving from Pittsburgh to San Fransisco.

I will state that I have zero proof that Bonds did PED's in 1993.

I have watched baseball my entire life and I have said since 1993 that he was on steroids. I was laughed at and ridiculed for many years about my belief that he and McGwire and Canseco and others were cheaters, until it was shown to be true.

I believe he started for sure in 1993. He just got better drugs and was taking them more aggressively in 2000.
    Most people didn't want to believe that McGwire could have taken them his entire career until he stated it to be true.
    I told people since he was a rookie that he was a roider.

"I told people since he was a rookie that he was a roider." McGwire I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    He averaged 25 HR's a year his first 7 years. Even taking away his first year in which he only played 113 games his average for the next 6 years was 26.6 a year.
    Hit hit 46 in 1993. Nearly double his average. I really doubt if any players HR totals nearly double just because of moving from Pittsburgh to San Fransisco.
    Roady, do you simply ignore when others present data/evidence to you?

The problem with saying Bonds averaged X HRs during his first 7 years, but then jumped to 46 in his 8th year is that it completely ignores variance. By picking 1993 arbitrarily, you ignore statistics.

From 1986-1992, Bonds hit a HR every 20 AB. From 1993-1998, Bonds hit a HR ever 16 AB. From 1999 (when the majority of individuals believe Bonds started using PEDs) through 2007, Bonds hit a HR every 9 AB.

The 25% improvement from his first seven seasons (age 21-27) to his prime and post-prime (age 28-33) seasons in HR rate falls within normal deviation. The spike during his supposed decline years (34-42) of almost 100% improvement in HR rate is clearly the work of outside assistance. Again, the "spike" in 1993 can be explained through variance.

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post

The problem with saying Bonds averaged X HRs during his first 7 years, but then jumped to 46 in his 8th year is that it completely ignores variance. By picking 1993 arbitrarily, you ignore statistics.

From 1986-1992, Bonds hit a HR every 20 AB. From 1993-1998, Bonds hit a HR ever 16 AB. From 1999 (when the majority of individuals believe Bonds started using PEDs) through 2007, Bonds hit a HR every 9 AB.

The 25% improvement from his first seven seasons (age 21-27) to his prime and post-prime (age 28-33) seasons in HR rate falls within normal deviation. The spike during his supposed decline years (34-42) of almost 100% improvement in HR rate is clearly the work of outside assistance. Again, the "spike" in 1993 can be explained through variance.
    Thank you for the personal attack.
    I can't respond in kind because my account would be locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Thank you for the personal attack.
    I can't respond in kind because my account would be locked.
    How does the following constitute a personal attack?

Each time that someone shows you that Bonds' HR total in 1993 isn't indicative of PEDs, so much as it's a case of statistical variance, you basically say that his choice to sign with SF somehow correlates with PED usage. When asked for some justification for your theory, you simply state Bonds hit 46 HR in 1993. That's it.

If my comment constitutes a personal attack, then I hope it gets deleted, but I don't believe my directing the comment to you (since you're the most vocal and recent to say Bonds used PEDs from 1993) would be uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post