Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wade Boggs Bat on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wade-Boggs-H...item23488e4510

I actually had previously purchased this bat and had to file a paypal claim to start the return.

Many concerns with the bat. Pine tar is incredibly, incredibly sticky. Almost like it was just put on in the last six months.

The ball marks were a mixture of dark blue and light blue ball marks. Basically a mixture of American League and major league baseballs.

My conclusions and opinions were it wasn't used by Boggs in the period, and despite the autograph, I wasn't comfortable that it was used by Boggs period.

Re: Wade Boggs Bat on Ebay

You don't see many legit 91-92 Boggs Red Sox game used bats out there.

Plenty of pre 1990 Red Sox, 1993-97 Yankee and 1998-99 Devil Ray bats though.

Just an observation.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

I truly appreciate reading these type of threads. Very educational. If that observation is accurate about 1991-1992 GU bats, what do folks think of the following (I ask as I just got swept up in the auction frenzy and purchased it!):

http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.com/lot-84733.aspx

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

Adam

Just by going by the photos in the auction the bat seems legit.

This is based on the model number, location of the pine tar, presence of ball marks on the right side the bat, and green bat rack marks.

What is not show is the number on the knob and the way it was written.

Boggs wrote his number 26 in a particular way consistently throughout his career.

Of course the pine tar on this 22 to 23 year old bat should be dry to the touch unlike the bat on ebay.

David
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

I also believe cracked Boggs gamers are very rare because he was such a great hitter he rarely would swing at bad pitches or got jammed.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Adam.

I loved that boggs gamer. Perfect boggs use characteristics with heavy clusters underneath the labeling. Looks just like my 96 WS year Boggs. I was one of the under bidders(prob drove your price up ....you got a great bat.

Regarding the mears Boggs Sox bat, I was looking at that as well, but did not participate based on the length/weight. I thought his bats were typically 34/34.5 inches as well as being 31/32 ounces based on his prior bat orders. The bat did look legit based on the pine tar/ball marks, although I would have liked to see a pic of the numbered knob as well. I'd love to find out more about this based on it's smaller size and weight. I did win the Boggs Yanks bat though... I second guessed myself based on the 34 inch length, but thought it was worth a chance based on it's other features and the low final hammer price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
    Regarding the mears Boggs Sox bat, I was looking at that as well, but did not participate based on the length/weight. I thought his bats were typically 34/34.5 inches as well as being 31/32 ounces based on his prior bat orders. The bat did look legit based on the pine tar/ball marks, although I would have liked to see a pic of the numbered knob as well. I'd love to find out more about this based on it's smaller size and weight. I did win the Boggs Yanks bat though... I second guessed myself based on the 34 inch length, but thought it was worth a chance based on it's other features and the low final hammer price.
    Excellent point. Perhaps Brian,Mike or Jim C have info on Boggs 91-92 bat orders
    metsbats86@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Excellent point. Perhaps Brian,Mike or Jim C have info on Boggs 91-92 bat orders
    That would be great. Like I said, the Sox bat looked great as well as the Yanks at 42. It's the size that threw me off of both of them and in particular the Sox bat. I know historically, the Boggs experts would typically shy away from anything less that 34.5/32. Seeing bats smaller than that benchmark that all appear to have the proper markings is a bit confusing. Did not mean to hijack this thread at all, might want to move it to it's own thread depending... I do agree that Boggs on Ebay definitely has it's issues.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ggs+bat+orders

Here's a link to Boggs bat orders from 86-89.

Nothing under 34". Being a creature of habit I can't imagine Boggs using a 33.5 inch bat from 91-92 in my opinion.
    metsbats86@aol.com