Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Wade Boggs Bat on Ebay

I'd be interested in measuring the bat myself; exactly 33.5" isn't good, but what if it's halfway between 33.5 and 34? That would be acceptable.

However, based on Malta's guide, Boggs did order many 34" B349's in 1991-2, but they were all cupped. No mention of any 34" uncapped models.

Ken

I found this old post that specifically references the 91-92 Sox bats.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...t=36818&page=2

Here is the deal on Boggs B349 (cupped end) Red Sox bats from 1991-1992:

Ordered by Boggs and shipped to him via Boston Red Sox: 209 bats, 34 and 34.5 inches in length...31 and 32 ounces in weight Flame Burned Finish

Promo / Show bats sent to Dave's Cards, Anaconda-Kaye, Jim Hawkins Promotions, Sportsservice Co., etc: 362 bats, 34 and 34.5 inches in length...no specified weight...Flame Burned Finish...

The similarity in the "26" on the knob seems pretty close, but is it reasonable (too close) for even the same person on bats that were manufactured potentially five years apart?? You'd have to check it very closely to determine ink flow, etc. You also will want to do a search on GUU forums for the ebay seller Dolphinboy...here are a couple posts to start off with:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=29372&highlight=dolphinboy

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=34716&highlight=dolphinboy

MikeJackitout7@aol.com

Looking at the Mears photo the bat looks long enough to be a 34".

Can you measure it and let us know (as Ken suggested) what the actual length is ?
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

That MEARS bat, at least from the pics, doesn't appear to be cupped, so I believe it would need to be 34.5" to be legit.

To the OP: this is just my opinion, but when I see records where the same exact bat was available to the player and also to the public, I'd need some incredible provenance to want it in my collection. Too many Schultz's and Dolphinboys out there making gamers out of crap to ever feel safe. Boggs bats aren't that rare or costly, you might want to wait for a better model.

Troy at MEARS is excellent to talk to, he's a former collector himself. I'd suggest talking to him about this, see if he has any more insight as to why this bat was graded authentic when it doesn't match factory records.

Ken

By the way, I don't search ebay as much anymore; has Dolphinboy still been selling?

Certainly worth a discussion with Mears regarding the length for sure. But from an overall use perspective the Boggs characteristics look outstanding to my eye.

Banned

The Mears bat is cupped and definitely looks legit. Mears is sloppy and frequently has typos with the model numbers, lengths etc. They were off by a number on the Frank Robinson model number.
    I would be shocked if this Boggs bat is not legit, correct tar patterns on lower handle and concentration of ball marks on right barrel- I was an under bidder as well. Nice pick up!

Banned

Regarding the bat on eBay, that does not look good at all. Looks like a Celebz Direct special.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnunnari View Post
    Regarding the bat on eBay, that does not look good at all. Looks like a Celebz Direct special.
    My first thought, too!

I did a screen print of the Mears bat and a Yankees Boggs which was also sold in one of their auctions. The Yankee bat is 34.5 ". The Red Sox bat may actually be 34".

Notice the incredible similarities in use characteristics between both these bats!

It doesn't get any better than this.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Thanks so much for all the feedback and insight. When I get the bat, I will take pics (including the knob) and post them on the forum. I'll also try and accurately measure the bat.

Stay tuned . . .