X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nnunnari
    Banned
    • Sep 2006

Re: Wade Boggs Bat on Ebay

The Mears bat is cupped and definitely looks legit. Mears is sloppy and frequently has typos with the model numbers, lengths etc. They were off by a number on the Frank Robinson model number.
    I would be shocked if this Boggs bat is not legit, correct tar patterns on lower handle and concentration of ball marks on right barrel- I was an under bidder as well. Nice pick up!

Comment

• Nnunnari
      Banned
      • Sep 2006

Regarding the bat on eBay, that does not look good at all. Looks like a Celebz Direct special.

Comment

• earlywynnfan
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Nnunnari
        Regarding the bat on eBay, that does not look good at all. Looks like a Celebz Direct special.
        My first thought, too!

Comment

• metsbats
          • Nov 2005

I did a screen print of the Mears bat and a Yankees Boggs which was also sold in one of their auctions. The Yankee bat is 34.5 ". The Red Sox bat may actually be 34".

Notice the incredible similarities in use characteristics between both these bats!

It doesn't get any better than this.
          Attached Files
          metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• adambirenbaum
            • Dec 2014

Thanks so much for all the feedback and insight. When I get the bat, I will take pics (including the knob) and post them on the forum. I'll also try and accurately measure the bat.

Stay tuned . . .

Comment

• adambirenbaum
              • Dec 2014

I have also gone ahead and emailed Tony at Mears, per your suggestion.

Comment

• MSpecht
                • Oct 2005

Here is some useful information from our friend Andy Benish:

Comment

• adambirenbaum
                  • Dec 2014

I received the Boggs bat today and it sure appears gorgeous.

Troy from Mears had written me back (great responsiveness) and apologized for the confusion and said he personally went and looked at the bat and measured it - and that is was much closer to 34 inches. I measured it tonight and to my untrained eye it is 1/16th (maybe 1/8th) of an inch short of 34 inches. Troy also proactively issued me a full graded letter where he graded it a 9. As for the weight, his comment was that while the shipping records are helpful and important, all they truly do is tell you what a bat weighed when it was made and shipped and that 15 years later, there is most likely to be a drop in weight - but that he apparently did not have a concern. Finally, he expressed that he wanted me to be 100% satisfied and to return the bat if there was any concern.

In any event, while my knowledge of authenticity is small, for anyone who transacts with Troy/Mears, I certainly was extremely pleased with their client service mindset.

Here is a picture of the knob - what do folks think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	700641

Comment

• metsbats
                    • Nov 2005

I think the numbers match up to the styles presented on Andy's website and given the length is very close to 34" you have yourself a nice bat.

Troy and Mears are great in making sure their customers are happy. I've had many good dealings with him over the years.

Congrats!
                    Attached Files
                    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Comment

• TwinLakesPark
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by adambirenbaum
                      In any event, while my knowledge of authenticity is small, for anyone who transacts with Troy/Mears, I certainly was extremely pleased with their client service mindset.
                      +1

Troy is excellent to work with and very responsive; I have had great dealings with him in the past.

Comment

Working...