Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Why is Arod really hate by so many people?

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    I think that one big difference between Jeter and ARod, particularly in the NY fans perception is that Jeter has had a number of clutch hits that won big important games, particularly in the playoffs and world series. He was MVP of both the All Star Game and the World Series the same year. Until last year ARod was perceived as failing in the clutch. Last year he unquestionably carried the team and got big hits. Then the whole team quit hitting in the playoff. When you look at most players they frequently have lower statistics in the playoffs and WS than during the regular season. Willie Mays did very little in the three WS with the Giants besides his catch in the '54 series. Given that should we regard him as a failure as some do ARod? Jeter has played at the same level or in some ways higher in the playoffs and WS. If ARod could ever be perceived as getting the big hits a lot of the other stuff would be ignored. Since he isn't it sticks.

All very good points however in a world where it is common to be asked "what have you done for me lately" Jeter has done very little in the playoffs lately. I guess in the Yankee fans and the media's mind he gets a hall pass for all those great plays in big moments earlier in his career and his 4 rings, and AROD has not had his big moments at the right time. I believe it was pointed out on here before that AROD has a penchant for homering when his team is up 11 - 3 instead of coming up big in the clutch. The other factor is at least in part is that success breeds contempt as the old saying goes. Lets not forget that Jeter is not loved everywhere as a recent SI poll indicated that his peers voted him as the most overrated player in baseball.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

I'm a Seattlite, and ARod was insincere when he was a young star in Seattle. He'd say these vanilla, well-practiced lines that no one believed, and no one believed he believed. Like, on going to Texas, "It' not about the money," when everyone knew it was all about the money. He tended to come across like Eddie Haskell being polite to Mrs. Cleaver.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    He tended to come across like Eddie Haskell being polite to Mrs. Cleaver.
    But June Cleaver bought Eddie's cr*p hook, line and sinker!!!!
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Having seen many a Leave it to Beaver, I believe Mrs. Cleaver knew Eddie was full of it. 'Full of it' not being a phrase she'd use, of course.

Everything I've read and heard about Miss Pay-Rod suggests that--rather like a girl gymnast whose entire world is her sport, and who lives in a bubble--she is an incomplete human being.
    Over on the baseball-fever boards, she was summed up by a former major league player as "the most insecure millionaire I've ever met".

Mark
    bigtime39@aol.com

I give due credit to players who stay in shape and work hard-- as opposed to those who don't-- and ARod is a hard worker. I personally can't stand Terrell Owens, but people say he always comes to camp in shape and tries as hard as anyone when he's playing, so I give Terrell due credit for that. I believe ARod is a bit of a phoney, but everyone has to give him credit for being a hard worker and taking his game seriously.

Banned

A Rod's the definition of a douche bag. You just have to watch the guy's mannerisms and body language and you can tell how insecure and full of himself he is. He is more worried about what people are thinking of him than anything else. He tries extremely hard to give off this attitude like he doesn't care and pressure doesn't get to him when really it's the exact opposite. He chews bubble gum like a tool, exagerated chewing that makes him look more ridiculous that he already is. He's a guy that nobody likes being around- he has no baseball buddies because he's a pretty boy that nobody has respect for. He tries really hard to come off as a hard nosed player, but those type of players don't have to try to be gamers they just are, i.e. Jeter, Erstad, Youkilis.

Most of this thread is ridiculous. It's mostly nothing but regurgitated garbage from the media and a bunch of stuff that doesn't matter in any way, shape, or form.

You're kidding me, right? "Vanilla lines"? "Insecure"? The guy plays baseball for a living and every move that he makes is instantly scrutinized by seven different local newspapers, two major national sports networks, and millions of people.

I know when I think of players I can't stand (Bonds, Clemens, etc), "insecurity" and "media blandness" are at the top of my list.
    Looking for Duane Kuiper home run baseballs

Funny how since Arod signed with the Yankees for 10 years, fans have a totally different attitude about Arod.

Add more years...you get more love

I dont think it was the contract, it was because he actually produced good last year in situations.