Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: (Stolen Package) Please be on the lookout!

So you're saying that if the USPS finds my package intact they will decide it's not worth contacting the addressee because the claim paid was a mere $50? If the claim was a $1000 then I would be contacted? I can with 100% certainty say this is false as well. I have one of the best resources available, a mother who is a retired Postmaster.

As for the public seeing the cleats after a transfer ownership was made. That scenario is entirely possible but theft is the scenario that concerns me and was the sole reason for opening this thread.

These are just a pair $50 cleats so my concern is meager to say the least. The only reason I am being so "long winded" with this matter is that I feel some of the information in this thread is incorrect and misleading.

Here is the article on recovered packages copied directly from the USPS website:

5.7 Recovered Article

If a lost registered, insured, COD, or Priority Mail Express article is recovered after payment of a claim, the payee may accept the article and reimburse the USPS for the full amount paid if the article is undamaged. If the article is damaged, has depreciated, or has missing contents, the payee may accept it and reimburse the USPS in an amount set by the Consumer Advocate, USPS Headquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrigley2010 View Post
    So you're saying that if the USPS finds my package intact they will decide it's not worth contacting the addressee because the claim paid was a mere $50? If the claim was a $1000 then I would be contacted? I can with 100% certainty say this is false as well. I have one of the best resources available, a mother who is a retired Postmaster.

As for the public seeing the cleats after a transfer ownership was made. That scenario is entirely possible but theft is the scenario that concerns me and was the sole reason for opening this thread.

These are just a pair $50 cleats so my concern is meager to say the least. The only reason I am being so "long winded" with this matter is that I feel some of the information in this thread is incorrect and misleading.

Here is the article on recovered packages copied directly from the USPS website:

5.7 Recovered Article

If a lost registered, insured, COD, or Priority Mail Express article is recovered after payment of a claim, the payee may accept the article and reimburse the USPS for the full amount paid if the article is undamaged. If the article is damaged, has depreciated, or has missing contents, the payee may accept it and reimburse the USPS in an amount set by the Consumer Advocate, USPS Headquarters.
    I've read other cases on this site where they've auctioned off the stolen/recovered (or misplaced) items and it's been an impossible battle to get the item back. Best of luck but the odds arent in your favor.

I'm confused, can you clear up the details.

Was the package stolen or misplaced? You mentioned they left a door notice because it has to be signed for. So it should have been returned to the post office and sat there till you picked it up.

So did they deliever it without a signature or you're saying a USPS worker stole it or they misplaced it when they brought it back to the post office. Could it have been returned to the sender???

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    I'm confused, can you clear up the details.

Was the package stolen or misplaced? You mentioned they left a door notice because it has to be signed for. So it should have been returned to the post office and sat there till you picked it up.

So did they deliver it without a signature or you're saying a USPS worker stole it or they misplaced it when they brought it back to the post office. Could it have been returned to the sender???
    Has not been returned to the sender. I have been in contact with him weekly on the matter and I am told I will be contacted immediately if the item is returned to him. Chances of the item being returned are slim to none seeing as how a claim was paid out.

Your guess is as good as mine if it was stolen or misplaced. I obviously have no way of knowing what has actually happened with the package. They did leave a door notice actually they left two another one 14 days after the first. Yes, it was returned to the post office per the notice left but did it end up on another customers stoop by accident? Did a USPS employee take it home with them? Every visit I made to the PO to pick this package up which was roughly 5 or 6 times had the same outcome, could not find it. Keep in mind these visits were all made during the Xmas rush so standing in 30 minute lines and dealing with disgruntled employees didn't help matters.

Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed44 View Post
    I've read other cases on this site where they've auctioned off the stolen/recovered (or misplaced) items and it's been an impossible battle to get the item back. Best of luck but the odds arent in your favor.
    You're correct if my item makes its way to Atlanta or one of the other USPS lost package recovery centers I am most certainly up the proverbial creek. If the package is still sitting at it's destination PO and it's found then I have recourse. When I spoke with the clerk at the PO he stated it's not unusual for an item to turn up after a claim has been paid in which they always contact the addressee. Was he blowing smoke up my #$% well that I don't know.

My only other experience similar to this was one where I shipped some autographed baseballs that took two months to reach their destination which was only two states away. I would not be surprised one bit if these just all of a sudden show up like those autographs did.

You're correct if my item makes its way to Atlanta or one of the other USPS lost package recovery centers I am most certainly up the proverbial creek. If the package is still sitting at it's destination PO and it's found then I have recourse. When I spoke with the clerk at the PO he stated it's not unusual for an item to turn up after a claim has been paid in which they always contact the addressee. Was he blowing smoke up my #$% well that I don't know.

My only other experience similar to this was one where I shipped some autographed baseballs that took two months to reach their destination which was only two states away. I would not be surprised one bit if these just all of a sudden show up like those autographs did.
    I shipped something once that showed up delivered (which it wasn't) and the guy messaged me angry that nothing arrived. Two weeks later the package showed up at his doorstep. Hopefully it somehow makes it to you.

I figured I'd update this thread because the lost package was found. It was shipped back to the sender even though USPS paid an insurance claim on it. Tracking was updated and said the package was unclaimed at my local USPS so it was returned to sender. If all goes well (fingers crossed) I should have the cleats in my possession sometime next week.

Kudos to eBay seller jhustle1 who was great to work with throughout.

I figured I'd update this thread because the lost package was found. It was shipped back to the sender even though USPS paid an insurance claim on it. Tracking was updated and said the package was unclaimed at my local USPS so it was returned to sender. If all goes well (fingers crossed) I should have the cleats in my possession sometime next week.

Kudos to eBay seller jhustle1 who was great to work with throughout.
    Did you return the $50 to the USPS?

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    Did you return the $50 to the USPS?
    Not sure what the seller worked out. I didn't have to return anything. On a side note, my issue was with UPS.