Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Frank Thomas Helmet/Hat Size

Does anyone know what hat/helmet size Frank Thomas wore throughout his career? I have seen a GU hat sold on auction through Lelands at size 7, but I'm not sure who authenticated it. I have a GU Rawlings Batting Helmet size 7 1/8 authenticated by John Taube (GU) and PSA/DNA (Auto).

I took a gamble and bought what looks to be a legit Thomas signed GU ABC Batting Helmet size 7 1/4 that looks very legit to me, but I am hoping some Thomas collectors could provide some insight. Was there a difference in measurements between Rawlings and ABC? Did players helmet size ever fluctuate, and if so is this something seen with Frank Thomas?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Frank Thomas Helmet/Hat Size

I have a size 7-1/8 hat from late-1993. As for the other questions:

Differences in sizing between manufacturers - Possibly.
    Hat/Helmet sizes changing over time for players - Sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    I have a size 7-1/8 hat from late-1993. As for the other questions:

Differences in sizing between manufacturers - Possibly.
    Hat/Helmet sizes changing over time for players - Sometimes.
    I appreciate your input. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Hope to hear from others as well.

You should reach out to Wade, I know he has an extensive Big Hurt collection. Search some past threads on Frank Thomas for his contact info. Ricardo
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by spartakid View Post
    You should reach out to Wade, I know he has an extensive Big Hurt collection. Search some past threads on Frank Thomas for his contact info. Ricardo
    Thank you very much! I have searched the forum prior to my thread, but only found the Lealand's hat, and info about Bonds helmet size changes (pre and post PED use). I have a large collection of Thomas bats, both GU, game ready and game model, but only decided to expand to helmets. Again, thanks for providing some guidance.

If it was the Thomas helmet on eBay I thinknyou got an issued helmet made up with new numbers to look like a Thomas. I couldn't find a number style match. The seller was very cool and open about talking about the item, but with no real provenance trail and the questionable number styling I stayed away. If you can find pics to style match those solid white numbers you got a good deal...however it wasn't something I was comfortable as claiming to be used by frank.

I have three GU helmets of his and I hadnt gotten to the size comparison since I couldn't style match. I will check and let you know for sure in the next couple of days.

A legit black white sox helmet is on my whale list. I have just about everything else imaginable lol. Still need one for my collection. 😉

If your helmet wasn't the one on eBay where did you acquire it and please post pics!!!! Would love to see a nice Sox helmet!!!