Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting Prints from Getty, AP, etc.

Good Morning All,

I'm going to be buying a few GU hats and want to put a print of the player wearing the hat next to the items when displayed. Looking to get a few prints from the Getty database. How would I go about doing this? When I tried to calculate a price to buy the rights to the image, pricing was insane. Any recommendations? Has anyone had any success by contacting the photographer directly?

I looked on Photofile and MLB's photo store, but the selection of images was poor and didn't have any images of the particular game/dates I needed.

Thanks in advance!
    Rudy

Re: Getting Prints from Getty, AP, etc.

I asked the Flyers photographer about this once. He told me he can't send you anything. All of the photos he takes are property of the Flyers. He even has to turn down some family members of the players, cause they ask him for photos of their family member from a game. The example he used was the players NHL debut, and he couldn't give them anything.

I photo matched a stick to a photo on Getty. But then when I went on the Flyers website, they had an album of photos from the game I was looking for and they were the Getty images, but without the watermark.

Check Out My Website: http://ironpigs92.webs.com/

Steiner Photo Store...probably your only shot.

Photo File can normally add requested Getty Images to the site if the photo Credit states "Staff" or "Stringer". Send me an e-mail if you want more information.

- Ken
    woltersk@embarqmail.com

Photographers can't sell images owned by Getty, as they've already relinquished the rights to them. I would contact Getty directly and explain what you want to do. They might accommodate you. Then again, probably not.

Honestly, if you go through any other route to print images owned by Getty, you'd be committing copyright infringement.

It's very frustrating - AP will let you request a print or scan, but they will never sell it to you. Every time I get the response that it's owned by MLB or the NFL. Even a 1924 image of Ty Cobb.

Another avenue is to make note of the photographer, google to get their contact information, then ask if they will send you a scan. They can't sell you an image, but I was once given a beautiful print, gratis. Also was once able to get an enlarged scan of only the piece of equipment I was trying to photo-match.

Be very, very pleasant when exploring such options

I am in the same boat was after some images on getty they aren't clear enough to use as a photomatch would love to get a higher resolution image to use for photomatch purposes only

I would suggest contacting photofile and asking for the photos to be added to the website. You can then buy an 8x10 print for $9.99. They have been very good about doing that for me.

Thanks for that had a look on there but nothing of Varitek

Quote Originally Posted by jscott0688 View Post
    I would suggest contacting photofile and asking for the photos to be added to the website. You can then buy an 8x10 print for $9.99. They have been very good about doing that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckster24 View Post
    Thanks for that had a look on there but nothing of Varitek
    They have to do separate deals with retired players, so all retired players aren't available. Again, if you see a Getty Image that you would like, send the image number to them to see if they have rights to it. If they do, they'll add it to their website.