Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Incredible "instaflip" from MLB auctions to Ebay

This is the first time I've ever seen this, so I thought I'd share it: I was watching a specific jersey on the MLB auctions that ended tonight at 8pm. The jersey sold for about $300, fair price for what it is. Literally less than 15-20 minutes after that auction ended, the presumed buyer listed the same jersey (using the MLB photos/holo number/etc) for $1500 on ebay. BTW, $1500 is not close to the going rate for this player's jerseys, so the instaflip probably won't pan out in the end.

I normally have no issue with people flipping or selling items, but this seemed like a little much. A previous story (the one above easily surpasses it) of flipping came last season when a team employee told me stories of specific "collectors" buying jerseys/bats and having the team just ship them direct to auction companies for consignment . . . at least those items were in transit for a few days and had to wait for a catalog before getting turned back over.

Re: Incredible "instaflip" from MLB auctions to Ebay

Wow Ellsbury was quick.

I have seen guys flip jerseys within a couple weeks but never that quick.

He must have a lot of faith in the postal service to post it before actually receiving the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil316 View Post
    Wow Ellsbury was quick.
    Yep, that's the one.

I do hate this as well. I was bidding on Mike Trout's RBI single to left field off of Drew Storen. April 23, 2014 vs. the Los Angeles Angels. MLB Authentication: HZ 112203 a few days ago and Bryce Harper's NLDS cap. The ball sold for $530 and the hat sold for $955, both bought by the same guy and 2 days later they are on eBay with $2000 and $3000 price tags with make an offer on them.
    Frustrating
    If I offer what he paid for them,do you think he would except? I doubt it

Okay, I'll pile on this one a bit - how about when a "collector" asks you for pics on some items, then comes back and asks for bargain basement price...meanwhile during this team your items are being shopped all around town using those very pics, with a deal only being closed once the secondary buyer is lined up, you get beat down on the ask price and they are clearing a nice margin. And this after they claim how interested they are in the player/item....always a classic move.

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    This is the first time I've ever seen this, so I thought I'd share it: I was watching a specific jersey on the MLB auctions that ended tonight at 8pm. The jersey sold for about $300, fair price for what it is. Literally less than 15-20 minutes after that auction ended, the presumed buyer listed the same jersey (using the MLB photos/holo number/etc) for $1500 on ebay. BTW, $1500 is not close to the going rate for this player's jerseys, so the instaflip probably won't pan out in the end.
    If you're really concerned about this, you could report it to eBay. Technically, you're not allowed to list items that you don't have in hand, unless you expressly state that in the auction. Also, if someone "buys" the jersey for $1500+$15 expedited, the buyer could get a refund from eBay, since there'd be no way for the seller to ship it out.

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    Okay, I'll pile on this one a bit - how about when a "collector" asks you for pics on some items, then comes back and asks for bargain basement price...meanwhile during this team your items are being shopped all around town using those very pics, with a deal only being closed once the secondary buyer is lined up, you get beat down on the ask price and they are clearing a nice margin. And this after they claim how interested they are in the player/item....always a classic move.
    Yeah, that is just plain shady business practice. I've never had that happen (to my knowledge), but have heard about it in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    If you're really concerned about this, you could report it to eBay.
    Not really concerned, just thought it was an anecdote that earned a posting here.

I am fighting the urge to keep offering the price he paid via BIN every time I see this pop up though . . .