Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Deceased Players - Right or Wrong

Many in the game used industry are using a player's name (when he was or IS an pro athlete) to make money when they are alive. It shouldn't be that big of a deal whoring it out when they die.

Hwoever, i do think it is a little distrubing seeing over 1,000 corey lidle items on ebay right after he dies.

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    Question: Do you see anything wrong when a player passes away, collectors flood ebay/auctions market with that individuals cards/memorabilia, in what I feel is to take advantage of making a profit from their passing? Is this wrong? Am I reading into this too much, or is it just part of the hobby? This always bothers me when I see it. Example: Pat Tillman
    I still have trouble with this. Would this seller be selling this item if Eddie Robinson didn't recenlty pass away? I don't believe so. Being personalized, and with his passing, wouldn't you think the seller would appreciate the item that much more?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eddie-Robinson-S...QQcmdZViewItem

If the seller puts something on eBay with a 1 penny minimum bid, and is willing to sell it for 1 penny if that's the highest bid, I'm not sure the seller is to blame if it goes for $500. The seller may be as shocked as anyone that it went for $500.

Paralyzed Ex-NFL Player Stingley Dies at 55
    Pats Receiver Injured by Hit From Tatum in 1978

By SOPHIA TAREEN
    AP Sports
    CHICAGO (April 5) - Darryl Stingley, paralyzed after a vicious hit during an NFL exhibition game nearly 30 years ago, died Thursday. He was 55.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    Paralyzed Ex-NFL Player Stingley Dies at 55
    Pats Receiver Injured by Hit From Tatum in 1978

By SOPHIA TAREEN
    AP Sports
    CHICAGO (April 5) - Darryl Stingley, paralyzed after a vicious hit during an NFL exhibition game nearly 30 years ago, died Thursday. He was 55.

I remember watching the game at Foxboro when he was honored not long after being injured and felt really bad for the guy ....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jessicawinters View Post
    If you think the buyers are morbid, then YOU ARE MORBID.

It's very simple. Collectors buy things immediately after a death not because they're sick, but because they want a connection with that athlete. It's a form of paying respect. They're not gonna say, "I'm saddened that he died. I'd like to have his signed bat, but let me wait 2 months for the price to go down.."

It's not like an average fan will keep a record of prices before, right after and 2 months removed. Whatever the price is at that moment is probably the only price the buyer knows of; there are no points of comparison.

Now, without the sellers offering these items, how will the loyal fans pay their respects? So, it's more of a public service.
    I AM A BIT SURPRISED WITH SOME OF YOU!!! YOU ACT LIKE THIS IS SOMETHING NEW THAT JUST STARTED YESTERDAY, ITEMS SELLING OVER PREMIUM AFTER A PERSON DYING HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR CENTURIES
    WHEN KINGS DIE
    ARTISTS
    PRESIDENTS
    MOVIE STARS
    ATHLETES

This is nothing new!!! As far as it being morally wrong YES ONLY IF THE SELLER IS BLATANTLY USING THE DEATH TO HELP SELL HIS PRODUCT.

If the seller is selling the product with out using the death in a cold way at the time of the Persons death and selling it at an over premium and someone is willing to pay THEN WHY NOT!!

If im selling a Cory Lidle ball for $500 is that morally wrong NO
    If someone is willing to buy it from me for the $500 is that morally wrong NO
    Point blank!! What is the differnece when someone is over charging for an item when someone is alive NOW THATS MORALLY WRONG!!!

I USED JESSICA WINTERS QUOTE because she is a 100% correct from a buyers standpoint.
    Some people may want to have an attachment to the person who died so they are willing to pay a higher premium at the time of death figuring that the supply may run low, chances are there is usually a good supply out there for that particular person but people dont want to take the chance.
    Would I personally buy items at the time of a persons deth highly I highly doubt it. But this is the reason why things are the way they are.

People do what they want to do in this industry.Sometimes it makes me sick how far people are willing to go.But the all mighty dollar is talking and if you have bills to pay you do what you have to do to feed your family if you have one or house/car payment etc.Geoff