Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 3arod13
    • Apr 2006

Deceased Players - Right or Wrong

Question: Do you see anything wrong when a player passes away, collectors flood ebay/auctions market with that individuals cards/memorabilia, in what I feel is to take advantage of making a profit from their passing? Is this wrong? Am I reading into this too much, or is it just part of the hobby? This always bothers me when I see it. Example: Pat Tillman
    Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~
  • kylehess10
    • Feb 2006

Re: Deceased Players - Right or Wrong

Originally posted by 3arod13
    Question: Do you see anything wrong when a player passes away, collectors flood ebay/auctions market with that individuals cards/memorabilia, in what I feel is to take advantage of making a profit from their passing? Is this wrong? Am I reading into this too much, or is it just part of the hobby? This always bothers me when I see it. Example: Pat Tillman

I always hate it when people try to make a quick buck when someone dies. I remember when Buck O'Neil died, and his stuff went up really high on eBay. I had a signed index card of him which he sent to me back when I use to collect TTM autographs. Instead of selling it like these other people were doing, I immediately framed it.
    kylehess941@hotmail.com

My Game Used Collection:
    http://www.wix.com/kylehess941/gameused

http://www.kylehessphotography.com/

Comment

• 3arod13
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by kylehess10
      I always hate it when people try to make a quick buck when someone dies.
      I agree! It always bothers me when I see it happen. Not to judge others however. Just my personal view on it.
      Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• ahuff
        • Nov 2005

I know it is morbid.

I am a collector and not a dealer. However, let me view this through the eyes of a business man for a moment. Isn't it simply the law of supply and demand. If memorabilia is your business, and the demand is greatest for the first 24 hours after a celebrity passes, then wouldn't that be the time you would want your item listed? Afterall, it isn't like you put a contract on the guy's life.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong. Just simply looking at it through another set of eyes. Otherwise, I must agree with Kyle. When it is someone that I have had a connection with, like Buck, then all I do is cherish the item even more.
        "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

Comment

• bat_master
          • Sep 2005

I agree! It always bothers me when I see it happen. Not to judge others however. Just my personal view on it.
          I agree to a certain degree that it is wrong. However, it does also make smart business sense to strike while the demand is the greatest. I'll probably take a little heat for saying this, but I really think the key is that if it has to be done then at the very least it should be done in a tasteful manner.

I know one example was when Kirby Puckett died. Since I live in Minnesota and am a Twins fan it was especially frustrating seeing many of the items on ebay. Many had messages like "RIP Kirby, we love you" followed by "Get a beautiful Kirby Puckett game used bat for $2,500!" all in practically the same line of the auction listing.

At least don't make it so blatantly obvious and don't act heartbroken by the loss if you are only out to make a substantial profit from the situation. I'm sure many of those sellers didn't act heartbroken when they went to the bank.

Just my two and a half cents.
          sigpic
          Tim Byington
          Hall of Fame Bats
          tim@hofbats.com

Comment

• 3arod13
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ahuff
            I know it is morbid.

I am a collector and not a dealer. However, let me view this through the eyes of a business man for a moment. Isn't it simply the law of supply and demand. If memorabilia is your business, and the demand is greatest for the first 24 hours after a celebrity passes, then wouldn't that be the time you would want your item listed? Afterall, it isn't like you put a contract on the guy's life.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong. Just simply looking at it through another set of eyes. Otherwise, I must agree with Kyle. When it is someone that I have had a connection with, like Buck, then all I do is cherish the item even more.
            Great point! As stated, I don't want to make judgement on others. I was only curious how others see it. I guess for the seller, it would be a good time to sell (exposure). And for the buyer also, who is looking for something in reference to the individual who passed. I've never been in that situation to sell something after someone has passed, but what you have stated above makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your thoughts!
            Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by bat_master
              At lleast don't make it so blatantly obvious and don't act heartbroken by the loss if you are only out to make a substantial profit from the situation. I'm sure many of those sellers didn't act heartbroken when they went to the bank. Just my two and a half cents.
              Tim, well said!
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• Yankwood
                • Nov 2005

I have 2 Cory Lidle jerseys and a Darrent Williams helmet for sale. Excellent condition on all 3. Oops. I just found a Darryl Kile game used glove here that's available. Let me know.

Comment

• 3arod13
                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Yankwood
                  I have 2 Cory Lidle jerseys and a Darrent Williams helmet for sale. Excellent condition on all 3. Oops. I just found a Darryl Kile game used glove here that's available. Let me know.
                  Is this suppose to be funny?
                  Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• TNTtoys
                    • Aug 2006

I agree with the comment that if it has to be done, at least do it tastefully. I recall just recently when Cory Lidle passed on, there was 1 particular auction (ebay of course) that included in the title of the listing "he's dead."

But, that said, I believe that the whole thing is wrong in the first place. I don't see it as a "strike while the market is hot" scenario -- I see it more as a vultures & prey scenario.

As a goof, I took a look at ebay just after I heard the news of Lidle's plane crash. There were roughly 20 or so items of his for buy-it-now prices for an average price of $10-20. I looked back again 1 hour later, and they were all gone. I looked a day later, and some of the same items were there... now, the average price was $100. Go figure, Cory Lidle is now worth more than Albert Pujols? It was sickening to say the least.
                    Looking for ...
                    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

• Yankwood
                      • Nov 2005

Is this suppose to be funny?
                      No, but what I do find funny is that anyone rushes to buy this stuff at ridiculously inflated prices. Nobody wanted it 'til someone died. I find this kind of morbid.

Comment

• 3arod13
                        • Apr 2006

No, but what I do find funny is that anyone rushes to buy this stuff at ridiculously inflated prices. Nobody wanted it 'til someone died. I find this kind of morbid.
                        Agree! Appreciate your comments and opinions. Much appreciated!
                        Regards, Tony

sigpic

Comment

• bat_master
                          • Sep 2005

I don't know if I find it as morbid as I do find it silly. To be quite honest, as collectors we have seen it happen over and over again. Player X is alive price is $100. Player X dies price is $2500. Six months later....Player X still deceased price is $100.

I would hope that people would eventually wise up to what happens to the market when a player dies and not be rushing to buy the stuff at inflated prices in the first place.

I guess it's human nature though.
                          sigpic
                          Tim Byington
                          Hall of Fame Bats
                          tim@hofbats.com

Comment

• CansecoPower33
                            • Oct 2006

Some people have a morbid fascination with tragedy and death. There's no sense losing any sleep over it - let them do as they will.

On a side note, I recently saw a Lidle game worn uniform on ebay for under $100 - It may still be there. Crazy to think of the money being shelled out for signed balls and cards at the time of his passing.

Comment

• 10thMan
                              • Dec 2006

Interesting thread!
                              You know where this is even WORSE??? The ART industry, someone dies...their stuff is now priceless!!! "wow, who painted that"???

Caminiti Died & I was on ebay reading someones Listing. The guy went on to explain how he died etc...while I agree it may have been a Shame! The Coroners Report ALSO suggested that "Significant Heart Disease was also a Contributing Factor" something like a 40% blockage. People shouldnt just focus on the worse things, but they do.

It`s offensive (like some here have suggested) when we have met & mingled with the people who are now deceased. Cammy was known to be Friendly & stopped to sign for me several times. I`m a Native San Diegan, I once watched him stop (leaving the Murph) He was on a Harley, gave this Girl a short ride around the Stadium...We were all Stunned! How much Friendlier can you get?

They (just like us) are still people, with Families, Friends, Relationships etc...I won`t sell my best Cammy Bat, NO WAY.

Sean

Comment

Working...