Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Re: The Dave Kingman Thread

1979 Dave Kingman Tour of Japan Bat. I've seen a few of these out there for Yaz and maybe one other player through the years. Very tough bat and came via trade with a strong Mets NJ collector with an amazing Kingman collector that I am envious of to say the least.

April 1980 Cub of the Month Bat: Dave Kingman. Didn't know they did this and to date this is the only one like it I have seen.

1980-83 Labeling period: Dave Kingman Game Used R161C Bat. Ordered twice in career; 1978 and 1980. This bat pertains to the 1980 order of 12 bats. Red 10 on knob, cupped end.][/SIZE][/B]
    Attached Files
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• skyking26
      • Dec 2005

Top: Dave Kingman Game Used Adirondack Model 113X. Cupped end.

Second: Kingman Game Used Bat 80-83 Model S2 Cupped end.

Third Bat: Same as second with exception that it has a solid end.

Fourth Bat: Also 80-83 labeling period but specific to 1981 because he was #10 with Cubs and the K10 is #26. Kingman ordered 12 bats on 3/27/81. This model was made specifically for Kingman based on a ADR model he sent to H&B for replication on 3/16/81. [/SIZE][/B]
      Attached Files
      ROBERT KOPPEL
      Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Comment

• skyking26
        • Dec 2005

Top: The 80's opened the door for a new bat manufacturer: Worth. Many players starting using them and here Kingman used both a natural model WC115 and a black model W5R. The black bat was used in '84; the natural in '86.

Also pictured a unfinished C243 bat used in 1986.

*I want to say I obtained the blonde Worth in the early 90's and I like it because of the story of acquiring it, and the fact that it is the ONLY blonde Worth I've ever seen. Had seen several Black Worth thru the years.

Ok, the story... Guy calls me up and says he has the blonde Worth. Back in the early 90's Kingman's bats were $75 and he wanted $200. I said ok. He said "hang on; the bat is in my soon to be divorced wife's house. I need to get in there and get it." He called a few days later and said he got it and send the money. Never will forget that!
        Attached Files
        ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• admin_old

Very nice Bob, keep the pictures coming. Hope you're feeling better.

Comment

• skyking26
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by admin
            Very nice Bob, keep the pictures coming. Hope you're feeling better.
            Thank you. I'm alarmed by pain in upper stomach so the surgeon wants to see me Friday. Disappointed. Thanks for asking and your interest in this thread. Still more to come !

RK
            ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
              • Dec 2005

Dave Kingman Game Used C271 bat from 1984 season in Oakland. Rare model for him, ordered 2/22/84 (12), 3/30/84 (6), 4/10/84 (6).

The C271 is flanked by two S2's... being Kingman's 14th and 15th career Grand Slams!
              Attached Files
              ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                • Dec 2005

The top Kingman bat is a bit "unknown." Another collector of Kingman also owns one of these S188 bats. Standard length of a Kingman gamer is 35" or higher so unsure what this shorter model is and it does not seem to match records. Any help here would be appreciated.

Second bat down is a late career S2

Third bat (K55); for the longest time I thought that was an Oakland bat. Turns out it was ordered in 1989 for use in the SPBA (Senior League).

Lastly, in 1986 this K75 was sent as a double stamped error and not used.
                Attached Files
                ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                  • Dec 2005

Couple of early bats here:

A late 60's model Len Gabrielson gamer used at USC, used by Kingman with a bold black 51 on the knob.

A game issued bat from 1972, a S2 model Kingman bat
                  Attached Files
                  ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                    • Dec 2005

[B]Onward to gloves now. As I find other bats I will post them but that is all of them at this time. As any collector would say - let the hunt go on and hopefully there is never an end!

Wanted to mention some key information regarding Kingman game used bats to look for if you want one for your collection. For most of his career, Kingman preferred natural-colored H&B (later known as Louisville Slugger) bats but was known to use Adirondack bats from time to time as well. From what I can tell, he used one most everywhere but Oakland. I cannot find any photos to prove to me that he used them in Oakland anyway. Kingman was not an avid user of pine tar. Even his well-used bats do not often exhibit remnants of the substance. It is also fairly common to find Kingman's uniform number marked on the knobs of his bats. Usually in black marker earlier and mid career he often used a thick red marker.

While somewhat rare, you may also see an additional notation on the knob (GAME), which identifies the bat specifically for game use. Some Carl Yastrzemski gamers feature a similar knob notation. That said, most Kingman gamers do not feature this additional marking. Mid career he also would use the red mark to go around the knob in a line as an identifier. Kingman wore several different uniform numbers during his career. For reference, those numbers include "45" (San Francisco Giants), "26" (Giants, New York Mets, San Diego Padres and Oakland A's), "48" (New York Yankees) and "10" (California Angels, Chicago Cubs and Oakland A's).

RK
                    ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• Kong's Landing
                      • Feb 2008

Re: S188 bat.

For some reason mine has a stamped New York Yankees next to Dave's name. Given the fact that there are no bat record orders for this model & given the store model length w/ no knob designation....It must be a store model or promotional bat. Someone could have put that Yankees stamp on after it was issued. (maybe a Yankees nut who wanted to personalize it more). The stamp is starting to bleed into Dave's signature. I'm curious to get someone else's opinion of this bat. However, maybe just a handful of these exist.

AND THE S188 MYSTERY CONTINUES.....DON'T MISS IT !!!!!

!!! SAME BAT TIME........SAME BAT CHANNEL........!!!

""HOLY S188 BATMAN""

Comment

• skyking26
                        • Dec 2005

Early 70's Dave Kingman Game Used Wilson 1st Baseman's Glove.

I have a photomatch to this glove; Kingman holding Lou Brock on 1st at Candlestick.
                        Attached Files
                        ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                          • Dec 2005

[B]1975-76 Mets OF Game Used Glove. Glove is a "high-end" store model Willie Mays glove complete with COA. Came as a surprise to me also that players used these back in the day. McGregor Glove. [/SIZE]
                          Attached Files
                          ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                            • Dec 2005

1978-80 Mizuno Game Used Dave Kingman Glove. Believed to be used during Kingman's entire stint with Chicago.
                            Attached Files
                            ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                              • Dec 2005

Early 80's Wilson Dave Kingman Game Used Glove
                              Attached Files
                              ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• teddy406
                                Banned
                                • Feb 2014

Nice KONG stuff. Gotta like King Kong! Either a HR or a K.

Comment

Working...