Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skyking26
    • Dec 2005

Re: The Dave Kingman Thread

Posted here are pickups as of today 4/2/15. While this date reminds me of what started as the passing of my mother 25 years ago today and the beginning of that odyssey; at least today 25 years later I can look at the date in a different light. 2 great kids; both talented and amazing young adults... and pictured here 3 great new bats!

The R161 Kingman and the S2 are both old label H&B's that we can trace to the '78 season by the labeling period ('77-79), and throw 77 out as the #10 is represented on the knob of 1 bat and both came originated from a bullpen coach with the Cubs... the R161 was ordered by Kingman in '78 and '80...the '80 season would have been the new large LS logo so we can pinpoint one or both from '78, the start of 3 seasons with the Chicago Cubs.

Attached Files
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Comment

• Kong's Landing
      • Feb 2008

FINALLY GOT A K55 MODEL TODAY. NOT MUCH USE ON IT THOUGH.
      WOW........THAT CUBS GLOVE IS HAMMERED WITH USE.......GREAT USE ON THAT GIANTS FIRST BASEMAN'S MITT TOO.

NICE STUFF......McDUFF

Comment

• skyking26
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Kong's Landing
        FINALLY GOT A K55 MODEL TODAY. NOT MUCH USE ON IT THOUGH.
        WOW........THAT CUBS GLOVE IS HAMMERED WITH USE.......GREAT USE ON THAT GIANTS FIRST BASEMAN'S MITT TOO.

NICE STUFF......McDUFF
        Great find Erik. The K55 is traced to Dave's time with the Tropics in the SPBA in '89 as referenced earlier in this thread. I have a COA somewhere on it from Mike Specht which I think identified the number of bats ordered...(not many). I could hear the excitement in your voice today when you located that in that card shop and called me. I was excited for you! Like anything else; as the space of time increases, finding vintage material decreases. It's a treasure to locate the stuff. Some times you gotta pay up but it's worth it. I owe so many people in the hobby for their time and resources that have aided me in obtaining great pieces. I plan on creating a separate thread just about that...
        ROBERT KOPPEL
        Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Comment

• skyking26
          • Dec 2005

The K55 was ordered by Kingman on 11/15/89; 12 bats
          ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• Kong's Landing
            • Feb 2008

Bob,
            Love the thread and the "Big Time" effort put forth.
            Your ole' pal from 1989.

Erik Bakalar

Comment

• skyking26
              • Dec 2005

Vintage Game Used Caps used by Kingman. Left to Right; late 60's Alaska Goldpanners, Amarillo Giants and '76 All Star Cap!
              Attached Files
              ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                • Dec 2005

Dave Kingman game used Giants (71-74), Mets (81-83), and Phoenix Firebirds helmets (87).

All customary flapless helmets, as was Kingman's preference. To my knowledge he never wore a flapped helmet - ever. I have never seen any of his other helmets offered, and I know the collector who owns Kingman's Mets -75-77 helmet and his Yankee helmet; not likely will those ever leave his residence.

The Firebirds helmet was worn during Kingman's short comeback in 1987. I obtained it in or around 1989 via Robb Wochnick and Sports Warehouse. He told me Wendell Kimm sold him the helmet (Firebirds manager at that time). When I first met Kingman in March of 1992 in Florida he seemed shocked to see the helmet, acknowledged it was his.

Attached Files
                ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                  • Dec 2005

Oakland A's Dave Kingman Pony GU cleats. Signed and inscribed.
                  Attached Files
                  ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                    • Dec 2005

1980 Rawlings Big Stick Award

Attached Files
                    ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                      • Dec 2005

1980 Babe Ruth Crown
                      Attached Files
                      ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• soxbats
                        • Dec 2005

Wow Bob, the awards are super. Are those coming directly from Kingman? Players almost never part with those types of awards.

Comment

• TwinLakesPark
                          • Nov 2012

Congrats Bob, I know you have been chasing after that crown for some time now!

Comment

• skyking26
                            • Dec 2005

Thanks guys. It was on display in Chicago the last few years. It was an ongoing laborious deal. Glad it is done!
                            ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• skyking26
                              • Dec 2005

The history of the origin of the Babe Ruth Crown & info per Kingman's 1979 season: This enchanting piece of royal hardware is among baseball’s most coveted awards and was presented to Kingman by the Maryland Professional Baseball Players Association after the 1979 season ('80). Created in 1956 in honor of Maryland’s favorite son, Babe Ruth it was originally called the “Sultan of Swat Award” to honor the player with the greatest “slugging average”—combining home runs and runs batted in, it has been presented to some of the greatest hitters in the game’s history including Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Pete Rose and Johnny Bench. Kingman posted numbers for the Cubs in 1979 worthy of a Crown (48 HR/115 RBI/.613 SLG. This glorious looking crown is truly fit for a king with six be-jeweled baseball diamonds circling the golden metal headband and crushed red velvet center head covering. The Maryland Professional Baseball Association’s diamond shaped logo is affixed to the golden diamond on the front of the crown just above the engraved raised text reading: “Babe Ruth Crown Presented to Dave Kingman for Outstanding Batting Achievement 1979 Maryland Professional Baseball Players Association.” There are three sections of engraved text on the back of the crown reading: “1979 National League All-Star Team,” “1979 Batting AVG.288 Home Runs 48, 115 R.B.I. This is the actual award given to Dave Kingman, it is not a replica .
                              ROBERT KOPPEL

Comment

• gorilla777
                                • Aug 2009

Great pickup on the crown, Bob!

Comment

Working...