Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How do you guys feel about card companies and GU cards?

I personally hope they're all fake so that they aren't actually still cutting up REAL game jerseys that we would want to collect and have made available.

Banned

HATE THEM. Don't cut up VINTAGE jerseys into pieces. Just stupid.

Post Re: How do you guys feel about card companies and GU cards?

I never liked them, but then one day realized that unless I hit the lotto id never be able to own a ruth bat or jersey. For modern stars im fortunate enough to be able to buy full pieces but there are people less fortunate than me. So they can take the same stance I take on the ruth items. Does it suck that vintage stuff is being cut up? Yes, but it's awesome to own a piece of history, no matter how small it is.... If they are real :-)

I don't like the idea of taking vintage jerseys and cutting them up. The more they cut up, the less chance I have of owning one some day. The concept was cool in the beginning, but the fraud and the old jerseys being cut up gives me a real distaste for them.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsnbikes View Post
    I don't like the idea of taking vintage jerseys and cutting them up. The more they cut up, the less chance I have of owning one some day. The concept was cool in the beginning, but the fraud and the old jerseys being cut up gives me a real distaste for them.
    +1 on this. Never have really understood the concept of having a "piece" of a jersey. In the end, something has been destroyed to create a jersey card. It is so common in the modern card hobby (at least since the early-to-mid 1990s I think) but unknown of prior to that. I remember when I got back into baseball cards about 2001 after leaving the hobby back in 1984, and I had to "educate" myself on new terms such as relic, parallel, foil, chrome, jersey card, autograph card, etc.

Much would rather have the complete jersey, cap, pants, etc. Heck, many companies are now cutting up movie props and costumes for cards, too, and facing legitimacy issues as well.

I have just been made aware of this Paul Waner bat being an alleged fake. THoughts?

Also posting some of my own research

Wasn't there a bat card with the label of the bat and it showed an underlined 125 from a LVS? I seem to remember a post with that in it on here quite some time ago.

I have always been so confused by these bat knob cards. People are spending 70% of the price of a legit game-used bat to have one sliver of it on a card.

$305 Utley
    $670 McGwire
    $200 Jay Bruce
    $185 for an Aramis Ramirez?!?!
    $338 for one-third of an A-Rod knob
    $500 Robinson Cano
    And the most baffling: $1000 for a Stanton knob?!

The first Google result for "2012 game used giancarlo stanton bat" is a 2012 PSA/DNA GU 8 LVS that sold at Goldin in February for $850.

I'm not the only one who thinks this is completely insane, right?

Since I was still a a teenager when Game Used cards first came out, I initially thought they were cool and the holy grail of card collecting. As I got older though, the market became way over flooded (when you're able to afford "game used" cards of guys like Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth etc..you know it's overflooded) and then I was like "I can get a card with a logoman for this price, or get a certified jersey for either same price or even cheaper". I decided to sell my entire card collection to convert to Game Used. I still visit forums like Blowout Cards, and it boggles my mind how many card collectors could actually care less about the authenticity of the memorabilia used. I see a lot of "I don't care about it being fake or not, as long as it looks cool". To each their own, but using fraudulent items would absolutely turn me off to collecting those kind of cards. Don't understand that kind of thinking at all. And the biggest argument I've heard from card collectors as to why they pay so much for a sliver of something than the whole thing, is they are card collectors and not game used collectors, so they collect for the card aspect. Again, it's all personal preference but for the prices, I'd much rather have a legit whole item, then some questionable small swatch.