How do you guys feel about card companies and GU cards?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigaust001
    • Aug 2013

Re: How do you guys feel about card companies and GU cards?

I have just been made aware of this Paul Waner bat being an alleged fake. THoughts?

Comment

• bigaust001
      • Aug 2013

Also posting some of my own research

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
        • Apr 2007

Wasn't there a bat card with the label of the bat and it showed an underlined 125 from a LVS? I seem to remember a post with that in it on here quite some time ago.

Comment

• VintageGamerNoob
          • Mar 2013

I have always been so confused by these bat knob cards. People are spending 70% of the price of a legit game-used bat to have one sliver of it on a card.

$305 Utley
          $670 McGwire
          $200 Jay Bruce
          $185 for an Aramis Ramirez?!?!
          $338 for one-third of an A-Rod knob
          $500 Robinson Cano
          And the most baffling: $1000 for a Stanton knob?!

The first Google result for "2012 game used giancarlo stanton bat" is a 2012 PSA/DNA GU 8 LVS that sold at Goldin in February for $850.

I'm not the only one who thinks this is completely insane, right?

Comment

• CPuente57
            • Jun 2010

Since I was still a a teenager when Game Used cards first came out, I initially thought they were cool and the holy grail of card collecting. As I got older though, the market became way over flooded (when you're able to afford "game used" cards of guys like Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth etc..you know it's overflooded) and then I was like "I can get a card with a logoman for this price, or get a certified jersey for either same price or even cheaper". I decided to sell my entire card collection to convert to Game Used. I still visit forums like Blowout Cards, and it boggles my mind how many card collectors could actually care less about the authenticity of the memorabilia used. I see a lot of "I don't care about it being fake or not, as long as it looks cool". To each their own, but using fraudulent items would absolutely turn me off to collecting those kind of cards. Don't understand that kind of thinking at all. And the biggest argument I've heard from card collectors as to why they pay so much for a sliver of something than the whole thing, is they are card collectors and not game used collectors, so they collect for the card aspect. Again, it's all personal preference but for the prices, I'd much rather have a legit whole item, then some questionable small swatch.
            Chris P
            http://chrisptop100.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Chess2899
              • Feb 2014

I have zero trust in card companies doing the right thing. They finally numbered limited cards after my lawsuit in 1999.

Collectors find card makers' claims of scarcity aren't always accurate.

I regret settling. I should have sunk the whole company. I despise having companies take advantage of collectors. I think bat cards and jersey cards are questionable. Who can prove it?

Comment

• CPuente57
                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by VintageGamerNoob
                I have always been so confused by these bat knob cards. People are spending 70% of the price of a legit game-used bat to have one sliver of it on a card.

$305 Utley
                $670 McGwire
                $200 Jay Bruce
                $185 for an Aramis Ramirez?!?!
                $338 for one-third of an A-Rod knob
                $500 Robinson Cano
                And the most baffling: $1000 for a Stanton knob?!

The first Google result for "2012 game used giancarlo stanton bat" is a 2012 PSA/DNA GU 8 LVS that sold at Goldin in February for $850.

I'm not the only one who thinks this is completely insane, right?
                Yeah that's insane..I bought a Stanton MLB Authenticated photomatched HR bat for like 650 last year, and yet a knob card goes for a grand?!
                Chris P
                http://chrisptop100.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Chess2899
                  • Feb 2014

Card companies did not number their limited cards until I launched my lawsuit.

I regret settling. I had a chance to destroy them. Companies that cheat collectors should not be allowed to function.

How do you prove it with bat and jersey cards? You can't unless you have an inside employee within the company.

Comment

• Buccaneer Madden
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Chess2899
                    Card companies did not number their limited cards until I launched my lawsuit.

I regret settling. I had a chance to destroy them. Companies that cheat collectors should not be allowed to function.

How do you prove it with bat and jersey cards? You can't unless you have an inside employee within the company.
                    I had always thought about doing something like that but never had the funds to try it. Nice to catch somebody in a bold face lie.

At first I was interested in the GU cards but once they became so common and I realized most of them were more "even worn" like for 10 seconds at a practice I lost interest. I'd much rather have the entire jersey / bat even if I have to save up for it.

Comment

• bigaust001
                      • Aug 2013

How do you guys feel about this? Is this a fake?

Aaron Tag Card

Tag Database

Is that not a post-76 patch?

Comment

• bigaust001
                        • Aug 2013

Mays Tag

McCovey Tag

Cronin Tag

Clemente Tag

Baylor Tag

Marino Tag

Payton Tag

Payton Tag 2

Brown Tag

Do any of these look off? With the pieces being slaughtered and then placed into the cards, we have limited judgement as to what is legit and what is not. The tag cards are one of the few peeks we get into the jerseys used.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                          Banned
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by bigaust001
                          How do you guys feel about this? Is this a fake?

Aaron Tag Card

Tag Database

Is that not a post-76 patch?
                          I believe you are correct on that, though it still could have been on a jersey worn by Aaron. In the 1980s, Aaron had jerseys issued to him virtually every year, for Old-Timers Games, occasions to appear in uniform at home, and the like. There were some in 1987, when the big Wilson patch was first used by the Barves, and possibly later, as well. This illustrates another potential boondoggle on these game-used swatches...even if the player ID is accurate, were they worn in an actual career game, or in an Old-Timers game or some sort of similar post-career event?

Dave Miedema

Comment

• godwulf
                            • Aug 2007

I buy memorabilia cards of my favorite players in pretty much exactly the same way I buy non-memorabilia cards: if it's not more than a few bucks and I really like the design, I buy it. I have full bats and jerseys of my favorite players, so to be honest I really couldn't care less whether the little slivers of wood and cloth on these cards are authentic - I buy them because they look cool, period. The most I've ever spent on a memorabilia card is ten bucks, for a three-color Randy Johnson patch card that I really liked the design of. Most I buy for one to three dollars.
                            Jeff
                            godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• bigaust001
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by godwulf
                              I buy memorabilia cards of my favorite players in pretty much exactly the same way I buy non-memorabilia cards: if it's not more than a few bucks and I really like the design, I buy it. I have full bats and jerseys of my favorite players, so to be honest I really couldn't care less whether the little slivers of wood and cloth on these cards are authentic - I buy them because they look cool, period. The most I've ever spent on a memorabilia card is ten bucks, for a three-color Randy Johnson patch card that I really liked the design of. Most I buy for one to three dollars.
                              I am the same way. I think of it as a decoration.

Comment

Working...