Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: How do you guys feel about card companies and GU cards?

I have zero trust in card companies doing the right thing. They finally numbered limited cards after my lawsuit in 1999.

http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/...4/1580511.html

I regret settling. I should have sunk the whole company. I despise having companies take advantage of collectors. I think bat cards and jersey cards are questionable. Who can prove it?

Quote Originally Posted by VintageGamerNoob View Post
    I have always been so confused by these bat knob cards. People are spending 70% of the price of a legit game-used bat to have one sliver of it on a card.

$305 Utley
    $670 McGwire
    $200 Jay Bruce
    $185 for an Aramis Ramirez?!?!
    $338 for one-third of an A-Rod knob
    $500 Robinson Cano
    And the most baffling: $1000 for a Stanton knob?!

The first Google result for "2012 game used giancarlo stanton bat" is a 2012 PSA/DNA GU 8 LVS that sold at Goldin in February for $850.

I'm not the only one who thinks this is completely insane, right?
    Yeah that's insane..I bought a Stanton MLB Authenticated photomatched HR bat for like 650 last year, and yet a knob card goes for a grand?!

Card companies did not number their limited cards until I launched my lawsuit.

I regret settling. I had a chance to destroy them. Companies that cheat collectors should not be allowed to function.

How do you prove it with bat and jersey cards? You can't unless you have an inside employee within the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    Card companies did not number their limited cards until I launched my lawsuit.

I regret settling. I had a chance to destroy them. Companies that cheat collectors should not be allowed to function.

How do you prove it with bat and jersey cards? You can't unless you have an inside employee within the company.
    I had always thought about doing something like that but never had the funds to try it. Nice to catch somebody in a bold face lie.

At first I was interested in the GU cards but once they became so common and I realized most of them were more "even worn" like for 10 seconds at a practice I lost interest. I'd much rather have the entire jersey / bat even if I have to save up for it.

How do you guys feel about this? Is this a fake?

Aaron Tag Card

Tag Database

Is that not a post-76 patch?

Mays Tag

McCovey Tag

Cronin Tag

Clemente Tag

Baylor Tag

Marino Tag

Payton Tag

Payton Tag 2

Brown Tag

Do any of these look off? With the pieces being slaughtered and then placed into the cards, we have limited judgement as to what is legit and what is not. The tag cards are one of the few peeks we get into the jerseys used.

Banned

Thumbs up Re: How do you guys feel about card companies and GU cards?

Quote Originally Posted by bigaust001 View Post
    How do you guys feel about this? Is this a fake?

Aaron Tag Card

Tag Database

Is that not a post-76 patch?
    I believe you are correct on that, though it still could have been on a jersey worn by Aaron. In the 1980s, Aaron had jerseys issued to him virtually every year, for Old-Timers Games, occasions to appear in uniform at home, and the like. There were some in 1987, when the big Wilson patch was first used by the Barves, and possibly later, as well. This illustrates another potential boondoggle on these game-used swatches...even if the player ID is accurate, were they worn in an actual career game, or in an Old-Timers game or some sort of similar post-career event?

Dave Miedema

I buy memorabilia cards of my favorite players in pretty much exactly the same way I buy non-memorabilia cards: if it's not more than a few bucks and I really like the design, I buy it. I have full bats and jerseys of my favorite players, so to be honest I really couldn't care less whether the little slivers of wood and cloth on these cards are authentic - I buy them because they look cool, period. The most I've ever spent on a memorabilia card is ten bucks, for a three-color Randy Johnson patch card that I really liked the design of. Most I buy for one to three dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I buy memorabilia cards of my favorite players in pretty much exactly the same way I buy non-memorabilia cards: if it's not more than a few bucks and I really like the design, I buy it. I have full bats and jerseys of my favorite players, so to be honest I really couldn't care less whether the little slivers of wood and cloth on these cards are authentic - I buy them because they look cool, period. The most I've ever spent on a memorabilia card is ten bucks, for a three-color Randy Johnson patch card that I really liked the design of. Most I buy for one to three dollars.
    I am the same way. I think of it as a decoration.