Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Unless you were there, how do you know?

With all the discussions about COA's for authenticity of game used and autographed items, thought I would share an experience I had.

I sent an item into PSA/DNA for authentication. The item came back, "likely not genuine", which I knew they were wrong! A few months later, I listed the item on ebay, submitted a PSA/DNA QuickOpinion myself, and it game back "likely genuine."

Re: Unless you were there, how do you know?

There is no way to conclusively know. I think I could do about as well as PSA/DNA just by searching for exemplars of autographs and comparing them. Isn't that what they (most likely) do anyway is compare it to known samples?

Personally, I try to have almost all of my autographs obtained in person, but you run into problems when you try to sell them. If I get something signed at a Tristar show I almost never get the $7 "authentiation" because I just got the autograph in person. Although I don't intend to sell, if I ever have to I'm sure this cuts down on the price.

Another issue is that depending on when you get an autograph from a player you might not get the best autograph. I have a Tom Glavine that I got during the 2004 All-Star Home Run derby BP session. It's about the worst looking Tom Glavine autograph I've ever seen.
    Brad Ausmus is the Bossmus: www.thebossmus.com
    Tony Eusebio Game Used Collection: www.TonyEusebio.com
    Houston Astros Game Used Collection: www.AstrosGameUsed.com
    chris.josefy@gmail.com