When Pete Rose was suspended from baseball for gambling I didn't realize the Commissioner left it up to the Hall Of Fame as to whether he could be elected. The baseball suspension does not disqualify him. The HOF made the decision the suspension disqualified him. Since then there has been a controversy as to whether he should be admitted. I believe he should be.
The suspension from baseball was quite correct. The "Black Sox Scandal" threatened to damage baseball. Every year players are told in no uncertain terms they cannot bet on baseball and the consequences. Rose knew this and chose to violate it. Something like the Black Sox Scandal can greatly damage a sport. While fans will tolerate cheating to win (an outfielder pretending to catch a ball he trapped, a player using steroids, etc.) they will not tolerate throwing a game.
Rose claims he only bet on his team to win. He has told so many lies we may never know the truth. But let's take him at his word. A manager betting on his team to win can still cause adverse results. He might use an injured player or an over worked pitcher in order to win an other wise meaningless game in which under ordinary circumstances he might be willing to take a loss and thus risk injuring a player.
A suspension from organized baseball does not bar him from the HOF. The HOF can unilaterally change its rule baring him from the Hall and allow him to be voted in. Major league baseball does not have to remove the suspension in order for the Hall of Fame to change its rules and allow him in. So while the suspension is justified I believe the HOF, which has the power to do so should change its rule and allow him in.
I think this would be a fair compromise. I'm not particularly a Rose fan but he probably should be in the Hall.