Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Official KRIS BRYANT Game-Used Collection Thread

Quote Originally Posted by teddy406 View Post
    San Diego doesn't authenticate HR's yet. They aren't set up for it with MLB. Did you guys see the Bryant Throwback helmet, that he used for one game, go for over 9k! Wow.
    What is the process for getting set up to authenticate home runs?

Banned

Not sure. Russell could answer that better than me. I know most the MLB authentication teams don't mess with the HR balls hit out since they usually go into the crowd, etc. But, the crew can still go after these balls and get them if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by michaellechner View Post
    What is the process for getting set up to authenticate home runs?
    I don't think there is a set process. I see some teams get them authenticated even if the authenticator doesn't even see it. Though every holo will mention if the authenticator doesn't physically witness it come from the field to their hands.

These staffers could easily just swap balls walking through the stadium to the authenticator. Highly doubt they have any interest in doing so...but the could.

I recently bought one where it said the authenticator witnessed retrieval, but unless the stadium attendee jumped down from the wall and jogged it across the field I don't think the authenticator saw that ball from the field to his hands.

Here are a couple of more things to add. I bought the bat about a month or so back. The baseball is interesting and kind of fits in with the current discussion. This ball was given to me by a friend of mine, who works for the Tennessee Smokies, and claims that it was the last home run ball that Bryant hit in AA. The timeline fits in perfectly as he gave me the ball last Father's Day, a day or two after his last home run with the Smokies, and that happened to be Kris' last day with the Smokies. Obviously no MLB authentication, but it's one hell of a story and keepsake!

Attached Images Attached Images    

Banned

Well, the Bryce Harper game hit HR #22 ball from this season, just went for over 6k! That was without MLB authentication. Just the Rays saying they retrieved it. I believe my Bryant HR ball #5 comes with just as good provenance as that.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy406 View Post
    Well, the Bryce Harper game hit HR #22 ball from this season, just went for over 6k! That was without MLB authentication. Just the Rays saying they retrieved it. I believe my Bryant HR ball #5 comes with just as good provenance as that.

Does your ball come with a Certificate from the Padres? If not, then no your ball doesn't have the same provenance. No matter what, these are both keepsakes for the personal collection. No real collector would touch either with a 10-ft pole at an auction house. MLB auctions has the benefit of sales going towards charity - those prices are nowhere near what they would sell for on the true, unmanipulated open market. Cool ball you have if it's legit - just no need to keep trying to prove it to yourself as it appears is the case here. By the way, Russell the guy you bought it from does not work from MLB authentication. He is a cashier for Fanatics/Padres at the stadium kiosk. Get a signed COA from the Padres front office and your ball would have more credibility - still nowhere near what MLB authentication offers in terms of resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by MTC View Post
    Does your ball come with a Certificate from the Padres? If not, then no your ball doesn't have the same provenance. No matter what, these are both keepsakes for the personal collection. No real collector would touch either with a 10-ft pole at an auction house. MLB auctions has the benefit of sales going towards charity - those prices are nowhere near what they would sell for on the true, unmanipulated open market. Cool ball you have if it's legit - just no need to keep trying to prove it to yourself as it appears is the case here. By the way, Russell the guy you bought it from does not work from MLB authentication. He is a cashier for Fanatics/Padres at the stadium kiosk. Get a signed COA from the Padres front office and your ball would have more credibility - still nowhere near what MLB authentication offers in terms of resale value.
    I don't really see a point to you trying to bring down the guy on his addition. It doesn't come across as helpful or valuable input really. If it isn't your idea of a collectible then good for you. If you look back at who the winning bidder of the Harper ball was and you have a good knowledge of the other collectors from the game used community you would know that the buyer of that particular ball actually has a great collection so I think it is safe to call him a "real collector".

You are absolutely right, I am not part of MLB authentication. I am however a bit more than a cashier at the kiosk, but I am not over concerned with you short selling me to make your point. I did however collect the ball and took photos of it before it had been moved or touched by anyone to include unique marks from it hitting the bp nets that were stored in the batter's eye. I then picked it up and took it to the authenticator to get it authenticated, but since we don't have a program in place yet for authentication he wasn't comfortable authenticating any HR baseballs until we came up with a program. I don't disagree with their decision at all as it keeps the integrity of the program. The ball was very well documented and I am glad I was able to get it to a Bryant fan that really appreciates it.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Banned

I really don't think a "team coa" is any more reliable than Russell, who works for the Padres on these things. I mean we are just taking the Rays word that somebody in the organization got the ball and it was the HR ball. We don't know if the ball was switched or the employee just made up a story. Of course MLB authentication would be the best for my ball and the Harper ball, but it didn't happen. I'll take my Bryant ball from an employee that does this every game at SD, has pictures and a write up, and a much better provenance than the Harper ball that has nothing but a Rays coa. I believe both balls are legit, but you see the difference. Russell is also a well known member here on GUU. Who got the Harper HR ball for the Rays?
    I also got the Harper Triple ball from Russell, that was MLB authenticated, from the SD game, that he hit a few days before Bryant came to town and hit his 5th HR. His only triple so far this season.
    Whether every person believes the Bryant story or not, doesn't make it not legit. It really is his 5th HR ball.

Could you post the pictures of it on the ground? Also did the tv people ever show the ball just sitting out there? Was just curious... It's a cool ball thanks for sharing it

Banned

Yea I will.