Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What would you do - mislabeled jersey purchased through charity auction

Quote Originally Posted by paul457 View Post
    Appreciate all of the feedback, keep it coming.

I'd prefer not to say which player, team, charity this is. I buy a lot of GU stuff direct from this team, and have bought several jerseys from their charity auctions. The point of the post was not to slam anybody, rather, I found myself in the middle of something that I found to be an interesting internal struggle, so thought I'd share.

It's a beautiful jersey with a great signature, so I'm not parting with it. I just wanted to see how others would react to the situation.
    If you plan on doing business in the future with them, I'd let it be. No need to make a bad situation over it... Like others said, in the future just be more mindful.

first off I do not care who you are buying from, even if it's right from the player. You have to do your investigation or homework as members on here call it. Make sure dates add up ect.... No exceptions to this rule.

Now that you have completed the transaction and clearly it's not what you expected.mif you wanna keep good relations I would not really rock the boat. If you are gonna be bothered by it the whole time this is piece is in your collection then speaking up and going the extra mile might be worth it.

What I would do is take it as a lesson learned.

Happy collecting.

I disagree with the view that you "must do your diligence or it's your fault." If someone holds an item out as game used, and it is not game used, you have a perfectly legitimate reason to return the item.

Would it be nice/prudent to first research the issue - of course. Is it a requirement to be able to return? No.

I would be perfectly comfortable returning the jersey. They can auction it again and be more clear in their description.

Personally, I would not consider a jersey worn by a player sitting on the bench the whole game as being game used. Maybe game worn, but not used. I understand this is open to interpretation.

These were spring training jerseys? Right??

Some of these responses have made me throw up in my mouth. You purchased an item from a MLB team (I would love to hear which team it is) that clearly misrepresented the item, which entitles you to a full refund, and they should be more than happy to do so. I will be happy to call them on your behalf.

What blows my mind is that if any one of us misrepresented that item on eBay or a big auction house, we would get ROASTED on here for doing so. We would be called a fraud and there would be a thread permanently posted on here dragging us through the mud - yet it is perfectly ok for a professionally mlb team to do it AND you are told you should have done your homework?

Unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinLakesPark View Post
    Some of these responses have made me throw up in my mouth. You purchased an item from a MLB team (I would love to hear which team it is) that clearly misrepresented the item, which entitles you to a full refund, and they should be more than happy to do so. I will be happy to call them on your behalf.

What blows my mind is that if any one of us misrepresented that item on eBay or a big auction house, we would get ROASTED on here for doing so. We would be called a fraud and there would be a thread permanently posted on here dragging us through the mud - yet it is perfectly ok for a professionally mlb team to do it AND you are told you should have done your homework?

Unreal.
    Haha, excellent and very accurate point.

The team / charity has offered me a full refund, but they can't guarantee it will be re-auctioned on MLB. It could be used at a fundraiser or any number of events. I like the jersey, issued jerseys don't bother me, and I don't really want to return it.

My a$$ is just a little chapped because I feel if it was listed accurately, I would have likely paid a lot less for it.
    WTB -
    Rob Gronkowski GU / GI jerseys
    Patriots GU / GI red throwback or silver jerseys
    Jose Canseco A's GU jersey

This all boils down to one thing, what is "game used". Some people think when a player wears a jersey but doesn't play in the game, it's not game used. But other people think they're game used. some people think BP is game used, while others think it's not. Are spring training items really game used??

I had the mirror image happen to me. Cardinals charity auction. Game used Molina bat. Bat was in a tube on display and they said it was a March bat and not authenticated. I won the bat at a decent price. Got home and took it out of the tube. Notice the 3 was an 8 for late Aug and there was a auth sticker covered by the black tube end. Looked it up and it was used 2013 nlcs gm 6. The pennant clincher! Prob would've drawn more bids had that been known.

Banned

Angry Re: What would you do - mislabeled jersey purchased through charity auction

Sad to say, though, that there are some less than accurate or incomplete descriptions that charities will stand behind, even if they're confronted with it.

In the mid-1990s, a guy sent me a Warren Moon Oilers "Game-used" jersey to get an opinion on. When I looked at it, it was obvious the jersey was a reatil version, with no wear except for one or two small dirt smudges. I sent it back to the guy, and, feeling gypped by the charity, confronted them and wanted a refund.

Sad to say, the charity wouldn't cooperate. After hearing the bidder's explanation, a spokesperson mealy-mouthed an excuse that "We nere said Moon wore it in an NFL game". The game it was used in, as it turned out, was the charity's celebrity touch football game in Houston several months earlier. They would NOT issue him a refund, and the poor guy was stuck with it.

Your a fool if you put full trust in anyone without doing some research. That includes buying from auction sites whether it be Ebay, MLB Auctions, NFL Auctions..... At least from my point of view. Just look at the Auction forum. Imagine if no one did research and trusted everyone. That place is proof to do research before buying. I think almost every auction site has shown to have some kind of issue wetter it is dealt with or ignored.

I do not think it is the original posters fault completely. Had he known I am sure his bid would have been less like he said.

I like this forum lots of different views.