Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What would you do - mislabeled jersey purchased through charity auction

Recently I purchased a signed St Patrick's day jersey through MLB Auctions, which was selling these jerseys for a team's charity. The jersey was listed as a game used jersey but the MLB COA # was not in the listing.

When I received the jersey I looked up the MLB COA # and the jersey is certified as a game issued jersey. I called the charity and asked about the cert and was told that the player didn't play that day, but he wore it in the dugout, so it should technically be certified as a game used jersey (I don't necessarily agree, but that's not really the point of this post). He said the player left early that day so his jersey was authenticated at a different time than the other jerseys, which is likely why it was certified as issued...

Cliff notes: Bought a 'game used' jersey through charity auction, the jersey never saw game action, and is listed in the MLB database as 'issued'.

So now I'm in a position because my bids and price paid waere based off of the jersey being a game used jersey. And I feel bad internally about making a stink about this to a charity... but this wasn't a cheap jersey, and I feel like I paid much more than I would have if the auction listing was accurate.

So just curious what folks here would do in this situation. Would you return the jersey and request a full refund? Request a partial refund and keep the jersey? Do nothing because the funds went to a charity?

Feedback is appreciated!
    WTB -
    Rob Gronkowski GU / GI jerseys
    Patriots GU / GI red throwback or silver jerseys
    Jose Canseco A's GU jersey

Re: What would you do - mislabeled jersey purchased through charity auction

I'm wondering if you knew the player didn't play in the game before you bid on the jersey. If not, (and not trying to sound like a jerk) I'd say it is more a case of you didn't do part of the homework before bidding. The player is on the bench, so bid accordingly . . . if you want a jersey that is actually used on the field, this probably wasn't the game to get one from. If you just want a worn one—it is probably a unique and cool-looking jersey.

For me, the "team issued" situation doesn't bother me at all in most scenarios—I prefer it. If the jersey can either be (A) photomatched or (B) is from one game use where the player sat on the bench (like a pitcher), the MLB holo wouldn't matter to me. This is a one time use jersey from spring training—the jersey isn't going to be hammered, so the value should reflect that accordingly.

It sounds like you might have overpaid (without knowing cost) probably based on bidding against a whole slew of outside bidders who might be more attracted by the charity aspect than the actual "game used" aspect. [I know this from experience with the Red Sox, when they hype the St. Pats/Camo/Marathon jerseys auctioned for the Red Sox Foundation on NESN, within minutes all the bids gets bumped up.]

In short, I'd eat the loss to charity. I'd think they're not going to refund you anything anyway (unless there is some policy about buyer satisfaction). If you have resentment over the jersey, you can always list it on ebay and try to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    I'm wondering if you knew the player didn't play in the game before you bid on the jersey. If not, (and not trying to sound like a jerk) I'd say it is more a case of you didn't do part of the homework before bidding. The player is on the bench, so bid accordingly . . . if you want a jersey that is actually used on the field, this probably wasn't the game to get one from. If you just want a worn one—it is probably a unique and cool-looking jersey.

For me, the "team issued" situation doesn't bother me at all in most scenarios—I prefer it. If the jersey can either be (A) photomatched or (B) is from one game use where the player sat on the bench (like a pitcher), the MLB holo wouldn't matter to me. This is a one time use jersey from spring training—the jersey isn't going to be hammered, so the value should reflect that accordingly.

It sounds like you might have overpaid (without knowing cost) probably based on bidding against a whole slew of outside bidders who might be more attracted by the charity aspect than the actual "game used" aspect. [I know this from experience with the Red Sox, when they hype the St. Pats/Camo/Marathon jerseys auctioned for the Red Sox Foundation on NESN, within minutes all the bids gets bumped up.]

In short, I'd eat the loss to charity. I'd think they're not going to refund you anything anyway (unless there is some policy about buyer satisfaction). If you have resentment over the jersey, you can always list it on ebay and try to move it.
    Well, if I had known that the player didn't play in the game, prior to bidding, this post wouldn't be here. And if I had done homework (which I feel I shouldn't really have to do, since an MLB team listed the jersey as game used), again this post wouldn't be here.

The amount of money I bid was based on the fact that the jersey was game used, just like everyone else. No one is bidding on a jersey solely for the charity aspect, otherwise they'd just pick up the phone and pledge their money vs getting a jersey in return. The jersey is driving their bid / pledge price.

MLB / NFL authentication drives auction prices, and secondary market prices. So unlike you, I, and others, put a lot of stock in those little serial numbered stickers. So when MLB Auctions has an authenticated game used jersey listed on their site, I believe them that the jersey is as described.

I love the jersey, hammered or not. I collect issued jerseys as well. That's not the point here. the point is that I spent x amount of money on a game used jersey that was really an issued jersey. If this was purchased through eBay, Goldin, or Heritage, would I absolve the auction house of any wrongdoing in this scenario? Absolutely not. The jersey would be going back. Should I just overlook this specific instance because it's related to a charity? Maybe...

Again - I haven't really taken action on this, I'm conflicted on what I should do. Because this is a charity I'll probably just let it go, but there's still part of me that is a bit miffed that the jersey was not as advertised.
    WTB -

I would say maybe contact them and see if you can work on the price which is doubtful. I probably wouldn't raise too much of a stink for it, because like you said in the end it is for charity. I'd just chalk it up as a learning experience and look at the silver lining of helping a charity and end of the year talk to an accountant about writing off a larger amount for charity contributions!

I bought a game used batting helmet from the Mariners this year.
    The hologram says "game issued" when I go to the MLB site.
    It IS game USED, it's pretty obvious from the game us.

I went back and asked them, WTF?
    Turns out the people that enter the info into the site don't always get it right.

If it's going to bother you having it in your collection I would just ask for a refund. I've had this same thing happen to me (luckily my items were only $150 a piece so I just ate the cost) and have seen several charities do this. You'll at some point in the future probably buy from their charity again so no need to feel bad. Next time you'll just ask for the mlb holo number before bidding

Ethan
    ethanoahkc@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by SEAFAN76 View Post
    I bought a game used batting helmet from the Mariners this year.
    The hologram says "game issued" when I go to the MLB site.
    It IS game USED, it's pretty obvious from the game us.

I went back and asked them, WTF?
    Turns out the people that enter the info into the site don't always get it right.
    This has been discussed here in tons of threads but the authenticators (the people who enter the info) will not hologram an item as "game used" unless they see the player using it (or in the case of some teams now, it has UV marking applied to it). It goes into the database as "team issued."

Quote Originally Posted by paul457 View Post
    Well, if I had known that the player didn't play in the game, prior to bidding, this post wouldn't be here. And if I had done homework (which I feel I shouldn't really have to do, since an MLB team listed the jersey as game used), again this post wouldn't be here.

The amount of money I bid was based on the fact that the jersey was game used, just like everyone else. No one is bidding on a jersey solely for the charity aspect, otherwise they'd just pick up the phone and pledge their money vs getting a jersey in return. The jersey is driving their bid / pledge price.
    Unfortunately, yes, you do need to do the research on ANY item you buy. It doesn't matter who it comes from, there is always a chance something won't be what it seems—even in situations where there is no intended malice. Otherwise you end up here . . .

I'm relatively sure I know which jersey you bought and I do agree with you that the Foundation should have disclosed the player didn't play in the information. I think your best argument is that they did not list the hologram # in the original auction listing. Therefore, you could not look it up until the auction was over.

Also, I've been to plenty of charity events where any item is NOT what drives the bidding. An acquaintance used to bid 5 figures on multiple items that he would literally give to his kids to play with in the back yard (and these auctions already took place at dinners that cost 5K a plate to attend). Very wealthy, didn't care—the money was a small dent in his end of year tax writeoff and his kids got to play with real equipment for a few hours . . . Despite spending more on game used items than most people here could afford, he was not a collector and had basically no interest in the items themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by paul457 View Post
    Recently I purchased a signed St Patrick's day jersey through MLB Auctions, which was selling these jerseys for a team's charity. The jersey was listed as a game used jersey but the MLB COA # was not in the listing.

When I received the jersey I looked up the MLB COA # and the jersey is certified as a game issued jersey. I called the charity and asked about the cert and was told that the player didn't play that day, but he wore it in the dugout, so it should technically be certified as a game used jersey (I don't necessarily agree, but that's not really the point of this post).
    Although I try to avoid buying jerseys that were dugout used, I believe that the mass audience that would be bidding on charity items would consider the jersey you described as game used. If the player was on the day's roster and sitting in the dugout, they were in the game. If you're having buyer's remorse about your purchase, just be honest with yourself about it.

Sometimes, fans will bid on St Patty's jerseys, even ones that weren't necessarily used, because they're a once per year item. Also, since it's a Spring Training jersey, in the case of some minor leaguers, it might be their first Major League stint (even pre-season). If you don't mind, what player was it?

Appreciate all of the feedback, keep it coming.

I'd prefer not to say which player, team, charity this is. I buy a lot of GU stuff direct from this team, and have bought several jerseys from their charity auctions. The point of the post was not to slam anybody, rather, I found myself in the middle of something that I found to be an interesting internal struggle, so thought I'd share.

It's a beautiful jersey with a great signature, so I'm not parting with it. I just wanted to see how others would react to the situation.
    WTB -