Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

starting lineups

Thus article brought back some childhood memories http://grantland.com/the-triangle/a-...eup-figurines/

Before my jersey collecting I remember searching everywhere with my dad in the search for starting lineups. We eventually went to shows to buy them and flea markets. I have like 100 sealed...paid a lot and now they're worth next to nothing, but what great memories I had collecting them

Re: starting lineups

I remember when Tuff Stuff magazine had a monthly SLU article and price guide written by Jeff Clow. I never collected the figures, but thought they were neat little items. Since I collect oddball cards, I do keep an eye open for the older SLU cards at a good price, especially the unissued ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Frequently at card shows, I'll see dealers with large boxes of SLU's, practically trying to give them away. Personally, I've got all six of Matt Williams' in a little cluster on my "Matty Wall", and I've collected some that I've gotten signed - Jay Bell, Tony Clark, Tony Womack and a few others - and the double-figure package of Clemens and Schilling. I can see how if you liked and collected them as a kid, they would still hold a certain appeal - but to most folks I think they look a little silly and primitive compared with the brilliantly-detailed little art pieces that McFarlane produces.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    Frequently at card shows, I'll see dealers with large boxes of SLU's, practically trying to give them away. Personally, I've got all six of Matt Williams' in a little cluster on my "Matty Wall", and I've collected some that I've gotten signed - Jay Bell, Tony Clark, Tony Womack and a few others - and the double-figure package of Clemens and Schilling. I can see how if you liked and collected them as a kid, they would still hold a certain appeal - but to most folks I think they look a little silly and primitive compared with the brilliantly-detailed little art pieces that McFarlane produces.
    Yes, they really don't look too much like the players. I couldn't get enough of them as a kid. McFarlane is even a kid's toy at this point. Enter bay is where it's at...although way beyond what I would spend.. rather buy some jerseys..

http://enterbayusa.com/

I was amazed when I first saw them at the local toy store...

I'm almost done with my set of the Chicago Bears players since they are plentiful now.