Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Game Used in movies or television

Quote Originally Posted by Trublubrucru View Post
    I remember an episode of the 80's show Hart to Hart where Robert Wagner attended a Card show for a high stakes baseball card flip game, and someone stole Reggie's WS home run balls and they had to disarm a bomb to get them back.
    This might be the greatest sentence I've ever seen on this forum.

I always notice, of course, when somebody in a t.v. show or movie has something like a baseball in a cube on their desk - you see that a lot on cop shows for some reason. Could be a game ball or just a signed one - we seldom find out. When I see that a show is doing a prop and costume auction or sale, I'm always alert to any baseball-related items like that.

Actually, my Holy Grail, as far as movie/t.v. prop items are concerned, is a GU L.S. bat from the movie Signs - the one Merrill Hess, the character played by Joachin Phoenix, keeps on the wall, and is supposed to have hit a record-setting home run with when he played in the minors. As is usually the case with items like that, there is in reality more than just the one ordered and used; in this case, there was one bat that hung on the wall, at least one that Phoenix used to (spoiler alert) kill the alien with, one that was broken in half, etc. I was finally able to get in touch with the film's prop-master a while back, and he still has one that he is interested in selling, but to be honest he wanted more for it than I could comfortably afford at the moment.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Game Used in movies or television

I think the show was "Suddenly Susan" with Brooke Shields and Emilio Estevez. Estevez, Shields' boss, had his mother in town (played by Betty White), and Mom decided to help him clean up a bit. One such move was to wash his game used autographed rookie jersey of Mickey Mantle. The end result was a jersey that shrunk to the point that a 7-year-old could have worn it.

Dave Miedema

That reminds me of an episode of Monk, in which the OCD detective is left alone for a few minutes in a sports agent's office and he decides to clean a "smudge" off of a displayed GU basketball; the smudge turns out to have been Michael Jordan's autograph.

I just thought of another one. Eastbound and Down with Danny McBride as Kenny Powers. In the first season, Powers' sister-in-law talks him into selling his memorabilia on eBay, and one of the items is the bat he broke in his only big league at-bat. He expects it to go for big money, but ends up selling (to his ex-girlfriend) for something like twenty dollars.