Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Finally Landed My Whale!!!

After YEARS of searching, I suppose its only fitting that this will be the 25 year anniversary of Super Bowl 25. I've only seen a couple for sale in all my time of looking. One was a Sand Knit that I had some doubts about, and another was a Blue Champion that was only single striped and was no doubt legit, but it was tagged a letter size with the new style Champion jock tag which was odd as well as only having 1 sleeve stripe and no NFL shield. So, it wasn't exactly what I wanted and at the price that was being asked it needed to be perfect. I'd hoped for a white double stripe as thats kinda the jersey style he is most noted for as he was wearing it for wide right. The fact that this has the 80's champion tags and the rounded neck with port hole mesh (from early 87 I believe, but there were still a few being worn in preseason until 89) was just icing on the cake as it was my favorite style. I was not even sure if this existed, but the constant searching paid off. Many Bills fans would just as rather burn this, but I think its been long enough now that we can be level headed and say there were many other reasons that game was lost. Also, remaining relevant in pop culture to a degree is kinda cool. Ace Ventura, Buffalo 66, and the play Who killed Norwood Scott? are kind of based on him so when I started collecting Bills jerseys, Jim Kellys, Frank Reich, and Scott Norwood became my goals. Kellys were easy, somehow I've actually found a couple Reichs but never a Norwood.. until this popped up on ebay. I may have over paid, but in the end who cares? I didnt want to wait another 7 years before I saw another. I just wanted to share as I never have landed a "whale" before, but this was far and away my biggest. Now I just need to find something to do with my spare time instead of checking ebay a few times a day Sorry for the long read, but thanks for looking!!!

Re: Finally Landed My Whale!!!

Congrats! Great shirt! Now you can spend your time trying to photo match it!!!!

Peace,

John Swain
    Always interested in Lance Parrish game used items. Looking for any Tigers game used jersey, game used glove, road Mariners jersey, and 94 Pirates home jersey. Contact me at john.swainer at gmail dot com

Thanks
    I was told it was a falcons game in the preseason (if memory serves him correct) but I tried googling the date and game and even his name but nothing came back. I even tried youtubing games from 87-89 and couldnt get any of the special teams plays. Do you guys have any tricks for the older games like that?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by gobills123 View Post
    Thanks
    I was told it was a falcons game in the preseason (if memory serves him correct) but I tried googling the date and game and even his name but nothing came back. I even tried youtubing games from 87-89 and couldnt get any of the special teams plays. Do you guys have any tricks for the older games like that?

Thanks!!

Congratulations on your new jersey! I've seen on another board that this guy was the Buffalo Bills official photographer from 1960 to 2002. He has a lot of photos listed on ebay. If anybody is going to have a photo of your jersey he would be the guy.

http://stores.ebay.com/Photos-By-Rob...fsub=422469619

Wow!! Thanks for the good look!! I appreciate it VERY much and will have to get in contact with him. Again, THANKS!!

Wide Right!

The name rang a bell but I still had to Google him...

Read a very nice story SI did on him...

Congrats on getting a whale!

On a side note, I'm looking for a Rex Grossman Bears jersey myself. Many here in Chicago still hate "Sexy Rexy" but I would love to add his jersey to my collection.

HAHA thats a great read, thanks!!
    This more so than anything else took patience.
    Those who I heard had one wouldn't part with it, but as I mentioned it was exactly what I wanted anyway.
    Although this was an all time high for me price wise, I dont have the financial wherewithal to bid in an auction setting and have found most of my Bills gamers on the cheap through craigslist, estate sales, incorrectly listed and then traded for what I wanted that way.
    This was one I was willing to break the bank for after getting some advice that was bassically as simple as this...
    "how long have you been looking ?"
    "7 yrs at least"
    "are you prepared to go another 7 years without finding one?"
    At which point I decided I needed to load up the paypal and make the seller and offer that was prob higher than what would have been realized but it provided peace of mind and sometimes its worth it in that regard.

Good luck with the Rex, and thats the cool thing about this hobby.. theres something for EVERYONE!!!!

No, but thats pretty funny! Its been making the rounds the last few yrs and still gets a chuckle out of me everytime somone revives it on FB. The jersey came in this afternoon and I found a few things odd about it. Not odd in a bad way but just odd in that these late 80s early 90s Bills champion jerseyss never cease to suprise me. There are SO many variables and variations that (as i imagine other teams have as well, but i can only speak to the Bills) there are no "set" rules other than the shirts are champion. This one for example has had its plate sewn on rather hastily so its not perfectly straight or flat. I suppose if it was preseason, thatd make sense. Also, it only has 1 layer of the shoulder dazzle twill whatever its called. Ive got another round neck white double stripe port hole mesh jersey of a scrub player but that one is double layer normal mesh. This just has the 1 layer. Also, lastly, its got repairs on it up between the shoulders and tv numbers. Im sure its not unheard of for kicker jerseys to have repairs, but ive never owned 1 with 1 let alone multiple. Its funny, these have 0 stretch to the mesh. Im 6'4 220 and i cant even get it (or the other thats the same style)over my shoulders so to think someone wearing pads put this on is crazy to me!! Anyway, its great to finally add one to my collection and I couldnt be happier!!