Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Arods 3000th hit

I do agree with him that players who make a quarter to a half billion dollars in their career shouldn't expect favors from a random fan who is lucky enough to catch a potentially valuable baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by GoCrazyFolks76 View Post
    Not sure I can fault the guy for being aggressive towards catching the ball. If somebody had hit a ball worth tens of thousands of dollars towards me, I would probably be pushing another guy or two as well.
    There's a big difference between being aggressive and committing battery, and I've seen both at the ballpark. A little shoving and pushing is one thing, but I have seen someone who caught a ball wrestled to the ground, dog-piled and beaten before Security could come to his aid. I have also heard so-called Baseball fans defend such actions as being "all part of the game".

If I had the Arod ball, I'd auction it because I could really use the money, but I would be wishing the whole time that I didn't - so I could afford to blow it up or otherwise destroy the thing in some public way as a message to the low-life who hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    I don't imagine the ball fetching $100k anytime soon. Yes, it was a HR and 3000th hit, but $100k seems extreme, even if he's only the third player to do the 3000th hit for a HR thing. After all, Gwynn's 3000th hit game batting gloves and cap were offered at a measly $5k.
    Exactly, and with all of ARod's baggage there is no way that ball get anywhere close to $100k unless some idiot like Todd McFarlane wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    I don't imagine the ball fetching $100k anytime soon. Yes, it was a HR and 3000th hit, but $100k seems extreme, even if he's only the third player to do the 3000th hit for a HR thing. After all, Gwynn's 3000th hit game batting gloves and cap were offered at a measly $5k.
    An idiot with his money is all too common these days. I just threw that number out there. Just making the point that the Yankees were probably only offering him a fraction of what the ball is worth.

Seems to me that the most ironic part is that the ballhawk was even in the vicinity to catch it. I've seen this guy in action as well, and most of his balls are BP. He runs from right field to left and back pending who is batting. I've tried it myself, it's a lot of running, plus guys hop in and out of the cage real quick, etc. Arod is a righty, how did the hawk know he was hitting it to RF? Pretty good homework evidently. The odds of him catching that ball had to be astronomical. Plus it was a full house. Everything had to go right, just like when Jeter got that last ab for his last hit.

ARod is not popular with a lot of people so I doubt that ball will go that high if auctioned. And whatever it brings, the guy will have to pay tax on it. Sort of ironic, before he caught the ball he was tweeting about how much he hated ARod. Now he may have a ball from a guy he hates that won't bring that much money if he tries to sell it. So outside of the publicity of catching it he may not get much. I understand ARod had no interest in paying for the home run ball that put him past Mays. I can understand why a player would want the ball from his first major league hit, but after you have played 15 or 20 years is the ball you hit for a home run or your 3,000th hit really that meaningful. After all you have the accomplishment, the record in the major league stats and the memory. Why do you need the ball. In some ways I think it means more to the fan who witnessed the accomplishment. Also, why does the player want the ball and not the bat that he used to hit it. You see tons of bats that got big hits in the Hall of Fame. If I were Jeter or ARod I would rather keep the bat I used to get a hit as memento than the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by metsgraphs View Post
    Knowing the guy personally he is a great guy and I believe if i were in his spot I would do the same thing I asked him this year what he would do if he had caught Jeters 3000 Hit and he had no idea

http://nypost.com/2015/06/20/notorio...ds-3000th-hit/

He certainly knows what to do. I certainly agree with his statement regarding us normal civilians. I agree with his decision to keep the ball too.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

I wouldn't underestimate the worth of the ball. It could still be worth a hefty penny. I heard $50k was a safe estimate and his 500th homer went for $105k. Honestly even with the baggage I see the ball going for at least $75k and possibly higher on a good day.

Let's see, Arod has his 3000th hit/hr bat, jersey, cleats, batting gloves, batting helmet, elbow armor, wrist bands, and whatever else he was wearing at the time. He doesn't have the ball? Wa wa for him..

Quote Originally Posted by johnsontravis@ymail.com View Post
    I wouldn't underestimate the worth of the ball. It could still be worth a hefty penny. I heard $50k was a safe estimate and his 500th homer went for $105k. Honestly even with the baggage I see the ball going for at least $75k and possibly higher on a good day.
    500th was pre-one year suspension, though.