Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry The Unwritten Rules of this Forum

A few days ago, I posted a photo of a jersey I picked up in the aptly named "June 2015 Pickups" thread. Then, I put the jersey up for sale on ebay. My integrity was subsequently called into question by a senior member of this site because, "...it was pretty evident what was being done here. We see it all the time." Then this morning, another senior member said, "I'd like the pick-up thread to be pick-ups we at least plan on keeping a while, not looking to flip."

I broke no written rules, yet I was singled out for breaking "unwritten rules" that certain members seem to create at will. I never once mentioned that the jersey was for sale, and never alluded to the eBay auction. So what rule did I break? And, no where does it state that pickup threads are ONLY for members who intend on keeping their items forever. But what would be an appropriate amount of time? Two weeks? Maybe six months?

Maybe someone can revise the official forum rules to include member's unwritten rules. That way upstanding collectors and sellers, like myself, don't have to endure scrutiny from other members for doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Re: The Unwritten Rules of this Forum

I wouldn't worry about those people. Are they jealous? I don't get it. Personally, I enjoyed seeing the back-story before it popped up on eBay.

I think jealousy might be the #1 reason.

Who wouldn't want to buy something rare on the cheap.....and hope to get a sizable profit from it.

Don't sweat it Fred. The same people always seem to be the most irate all the time regardless. Happens on every forum...

I think they should eliminate the $500 limit in the Classifieds. It would probably get rid of a lot of this flack that goes on. So don't worry, be happy.

Let me be clear, that I don't care, but I would assume most people see this behavior as an extension of his rule:

4. No Advertising or Website Promotion. Please do not post any messages anywhere on this site that are primarily for the promotion or advertising of any website, item for sale (other than in the 'Collector to Collector Classifieds' section as per its rules), forum, email address, business, multi-level marketing activity or other entity without prior approval from Game Used Universe.

While you aren't specifically promoting it for sale on eBay, I think some feel the spirit of the thread is to show-off items that were recently added to one's personal collection and not something that will be quickly flipped to make a buck. Again, no judgement, just relaying the interpretation as I have always understood this "unwritten" rule.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    While you aren't specifically promoting it for sale on eBay, I think some feel the spirit of the thread is to show-off items that were recently added to one's personal collection and not something that will be quickly flipped to make a buck. Again, no judgement, just relaying the interpretation as I have always understood this "unwritten" rule.
    +1—I also don't have an issue with your post, but I'd share a few thoughts . . .

As the one who started the "insta-flip" thread you referenced that one was a little different. That seller bought an item on MLB Auctions and within 15 minutes had it listed on ebay at a much higher price. I personally find that a little offputting . . . his prerogative, he bought it and he can triple the price and sell it immediately if he wants—but I can also comment on here about it. Do all the comments here need to be positive?

Also, there are members (note I said "members" not collectors) on this forum that could totally dominate the monthly pickup section if they listed the hundreds of items that they buy each month for resale . . . it could get out of hand really quick. My guess is most people on here would be upset with that scenario, so I think this is where any mild criticism of your post comes from.

Nate's point was that people try to slide past the $500 limit by posting items that are of higher value followed by "I'm not keeping this, feel free to email me." type of post. I'll defend you there, I don't feel your post had this intention (you didn't say you were selling it, mention your ebay listing, etc).

Either way, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just opinions . . .

So a guy finds a jersey and tells a little story...that somehow turns into him advertising his sale on EBay? Not one bit of his post made me go check EBay for it or even think he was trying to sell it.

Not sure why there was a need to trash the pick ups thread. All that happened was make a non issue an issue. Funny how you guys are so concerned over trashing up the pick ups thread with unneeded pick ups, but then proceed to trash it with unneeded posts

Who trashed the pickup thread??

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Who trashed the pickup thread??
    All the replies to the guy simply showing his pick up. Claiming he did something wrong. I would consider all that unneeded.